OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Remington Managed Recoil loads

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Native Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Remington Managed Recoil loads
    Posted: July/22/2008 at 12:13
I have a 109# high school girl who has drawn a tag for mule deer in eastern Oregon. The only gun available for her to use is a 30-06. We were going to put together some reduced loads for her and then I remembered the Managed Recoil loads. Does anyone have first hand knowledge of the 30-06 125gr loads (RL30062)? Do you think they would work in this situation?
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2008 at 12:25
I have not used them extensively, but got some for my wife and daughters to shoot.  They had no problems with the recoil.  If I remember correctly, though, and someone may have better info than me, it was recommended to not shoot game much beyond 200yards with those rounds.  Bullet design?? I think.  I took a deer with one at about 80 yards and he went nowhere but down.  Mulies get pretty big, but as with any round, put it in the right spot and all will be OK.  I believe they should be good.  The 30-06's I have were all pretty heavy, so all the girls liked the .243 better, but not because of the recoil.  You should be good with the Remington Managed Recoil rounds.  Just stay under 200yds. 

I almost forgot...will NOT eject in my 30-06 BAR... I think the package says for use in bolt actions.  Hard to remember because I didn't use them much. 

Edited by Kickboxer - July/22/2008 at 12:30
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2008 at 12:57
A 125 grainer?.........Not the best BC or trajectory there for the longer shots, say beyond 200-250 yards!!

For the mulies, for the better BC, trajectories and knock down power, the`06 would be better served with a 165 or 180 grainer.

Get her a Limbsaver slip on recoil pad for $20 or so. I have one. It reduces the felt recoil to the shoulder by a good margin; maybe by as much as 50%.

Go with the 165 or the 180 as the first priority and the better medicine for success, rather than with the 125`s. With the Limbsaver, you can artificially reduce the recoil for her!

What if you see a nice trophy muley at say 300-350 or 400 yards? A 125 grainer???....Nope!   No%20No
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2008 at 13:49
The Speer (atk) book has some interesting stuff for reduced loads.  They have a 130 bullet and bunch of 150s.  You might call Sierria
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2008 at 14:29
Excusse Squeeze he's still mad that the USS Wisconson got decomisioned, 'cause there when his back up gun.  If she see Mule-Zillia at 400 yards tell her to pass unless she has a near perfect shot...  He is right, you should see how the stock fits her and get a pad if you can.
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2008 at 14:47
Originally posted by Big Squeeze Big Squeeze wrote:

A 125 grainer?.........Not the best BC or trajectory there for the longer shots, say beyond 200-250 yards!!

For the mulies, for the better BC, trajectories and knock down power, the`06 would be better served with a 165 or 180 grainer.

Get her a Limbsaver slip on recoil pad for $20 or so. I have one. It reduces the felt recoil to the shoulder by a good margin; maybe by as much as 50%.

Go with the 165 or the 180 as the first priority and the better medicine for success, rather than with the 125`s. With the Limbsaver, you can artificially reduce the recoil for her!

What if you see a nice trophy muley at say 300-350 or 400 yards? A 125 grainer???....Nope!   No%20No
I did some checking...specifically stated for use at 200yds and under.  Mulies are considered "thin skinned" game, but as stated, they do get big.  I agree with using larger bullets, and like the idea of 16" guns for backup.  However, properly used the 125gr will do the job.  Question is, will she be taking shots beyond 200 yds. IF so, the reduced recoil loads will not work.  The Limbsaver recoil pad is a good option.
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
martin3175 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2008 at 19:23
You could try Conley Precision Cartridges..They load a 130 GR barnes TSX round that will definitely provide you the knock down and penetration at a recoil below a heaver 165 or 180 gr round . http://cpcartridge.com/cart2/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_55
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2008 at 20:32
Originally posted by silver silver wrote:

Excusse Squeeze he's still mad that the USS Wisconson got decomisioned, 'cause there when his back up gun.  If she see Mule-Zillia at 400 yards tell her to pass unless she has a near perfect shot...  He is right, you should see how the stock fits her and get a pad if you can.
..................Yeah!!............And I`m also peeeeed off that the USS Missouri was de-commissioned too!!! She sure looks great though sitting at Pearl Harbor!......Love those back up 16" guns. Perfect for MULE-ZILLA!!..........Roll%20on%20Floor%20Laughing 
martin3175 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2008 at 20:48
I had a chance to visit her in Norfolk back in May...Super cool. Can't fathom just how big the main guns are until you see them in person .
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic