OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope my New Sako

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope my New Sako
    Posted: July/22/2008 at 11:39
My new Sako is actually a pre garcia finnbear in 30-06.  I would like to know what scope/ring setup you guys would put on this thing.  My criteria is:  no 30mm tubes, no parallax adjustments, no adj turrets, no large objectives over 40-42mm.  Let's keep it simple.  I've been lurking here for a while, so I'm really looking forward to your responses, and am hoping Ilya sees this (no offense to anyone).  Thanks in advance for the help guys. 
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2008 at 11:43
Budget??
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2008 at 11:47
What are you going to use it for, hunting, targets, etc.?
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2008 at 11:49
I forgot that part.  Used for deer/elk type hunting, and will spend what I need to, but hope to find something solid in the under $750 range.  Thanks.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2008 at 11:51
Price range? eye relief preferences? intended terrain (i.e. is weight important)?

ILya
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2008 at 12:14
WOW  $750 to dream with..........since Sakos are a little heavy I would look for something as light as possible in the 3X9 or 4X12 range or something like that......with that kind of money...I would look at Kahles. Otherwise check the Leupolds and what-have-you....I would look at IOR , too,  but they are a little heavy at 17 oz.  and they're 30mm.

If it was MY GUN I would look at Kahles and IOR and choose between them. Period.  Bandito
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2008 at 12:28
Based on your input and what Ed said...

Kahles

1" tube
42mm
fairly light weight

http://www.swfa.com/pc-13251-1219-new-kahles-3-9x42-helia-kx-riflescope.aspx

I'm a Swaro fan but it's a little more costly, optics are arguably the same, much better customer service..

Swaro

1" tube
42mm
two oz. lighter

http://www.swfa.com/pc-1500-278-swarovski-3-10x42-american-riflescope.aspx

1" tube
36mm
very light weight

http://www.swfa.com/pc-1505-278-swarovski-3-9x36-american-riflescope.aspx

Edited by mike650 - July/22/2008 at 13:35
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2008 at 12:34
Originally posted by JGRaider JGRaider wrote:

My new Sako is actually a pre garcia finnbear in 30-06.  I would like to know what scope/ring setup you guys would put on this thing.  My criteria is:  no 30mm tubes, no parallax adjustments, no adj turrets, no large objectives over 40-42mm.  Let's keep it simple.  I've been lurking here for a while, so I'm really looking forward to your responses, and am hoping Ilya sees this (no offense to anyone).  Thanks in advance for the help guys. 
.........................The best way to keep it simple, is with a fixed non variable scope.

However, for your `06, I wouldn`t reco a fixed variable. Your best hunting and most versatile variable is the 3x9. But you can also use a 2x8 or a 3x10 with equal satisfaction.

I`m not a big fan of larger objective (over 42mm) scopes either. I prefer the lighter, lower profiled scopes.

Although not the lighter scopes of the bunch, the Zeiss Conquests have great optics. Then by a fraction comes the 3x9 Elite 4200 w/Rainguard (best scope for the money).

Take a good hard look at the Leupy VX3 2.5-8x36 too. It`s lighter with a lower profile, offers enough magnification for an `06 and looks great.

Sightron Big Sky is another to consider.

Decisions! Decisions!...........Have fun either splitting your hairs and/or pulling some out!!...............OR?..Head%20Banger..................Laugh

Big Squeeze View Drop Down
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2008 at 12:36
OH yeah!...........Kahles or the Swaros for the bigger spenders!!
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2008 at 12:39
Originally posted by Big Squeeze Big Squeeze wrote:

However, for your `06, I wouldn`t reco a fixed variable. Your best hunting and most versatile variable is the 3x9. But you can also use a 2x8 or a 3x10 with equal satisfaction.

I agree, per your hunting input, variable is the way to go.
cbm View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2008 at 12:40
I'd probably get a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 #4 based on your criteria mentioned. And they're only $449 .
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2008 at 12:46
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2008 at 12:59
Lot's of great input guys, much appreciated.  I'm hearing about lots of glass, what about rings?  I'd rather use the scope mount system rather than rings and bases. 

Ilya, my budge is $750 or under preferably, but would go a little higher if it was  worth it.

I'd consider the Leupy 2.5-8x36, but I'm not sure there's enough tube length. 
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2008 at 13:00
I meant to say ring mount system, not scope mount system.  Sorry.
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2008 at 13:00
Don't get a Leupy, all these other scopes listed have significantly better glass than a VXIII
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2008 at 13:03
Why don't you PM Ilya??

I like Supertools Talley recommendation for base and rings.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2008 at 13:24
Kahles KX 3-9x42 with #4 reticle would be my pick.

ILya
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2008 at 13:27
Bandito
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2008 at 13:32
Zeiss has a 2.5-8 in the Conquest line.  The Kahles was my first thought.
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2008 at 15:00
Is that Kahles KX similar to my Swaro 3-10x42 A line? 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic