OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Tikka T3 6.5x55mm

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BSA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tikka T3 6.5x55mm
    Posted: July/22/2008 at 11:24
I am looking to buy a modern rifle in 6.5x55mm. The simple reason being that I have always wanted one. The choices seem rather limited.  SAKO 85 is a bit expensive for me. I am willing to spend more on the scope, then the rifle. Accuracy of the rifle is prime consideration and one that shoots well with out the need for any tinkering by a gunsmith. Tikka T3 is looking like it might be a good choice for me. I wish that caliber was available in this country their laminated wood/stainless steel model. (I don't care for synthetic stocks, regardless of their advantages over wood). I am not too thrilled about the plastic parts on the Tikka. The CZ550 seems to be the only alternative. I like the fact that it is a wood & steel gun. But, I suspect the Tikka has a better barrel and even with the plastic parts, better workmanship. (heard the CZ 550 bolts can be a bit rough)....any comments ?
cbm View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2008 at 12:16

Never had a 6.5x55 but I believe that will be my next hunting rifle purchase.

I did however buy a Tikka T3 .270wsm for a lot of the reasons you mentioned. Mine shoots unbelievably good, the trigger is easy to adjust yourself, and the action is smooth. But I went into it not liking the plastic stock and all the plastic parts...........figured I would get over it but I didn't !! Even though it shoots like I champ I am not fond of it !!

So I bought a Sako 75 Grey Wolf which is leaps and bounds better in quality .

If I could do it over again...........I would have went this route the first time..........but I seem to do everything via hindsight !! Bucky

Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2008 at 12:21
Hmmm.....I would LOVE to get a CZ 6.5X55....I would just fix up whatever it needs.  I like Tikkas, too, but I, too, like wood.  I like the Tikkas, I don't care if there's plastic here and there...they are OK!  If you can't get the Tikka in 6.5X55, then get the CZ.   

Those TWO rifles would be on my short list for a 6.5X55. 
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2008 at 19:49
all i can say is its a 6.5mm who cares what rifle its in, 6.5's thump like you wouldnt believe. cz makes a  nice rifle.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2008 at 08:00
I was looking at a T3 Tikka about two months ago......black synthetic, bue steel.  It was a flyweight at something like 6.3 lbs or something....!  The one had had in my hands was a 300 Win Mag.....and, of course, it was way too short on me....the grip area was practically under my chin like a toy gun........I wouldn't want one of THOSE GUYS in a magnum.....but a 6.5X55 Swede ( with a thicker recoil pad and some spacers on the back for me....) would be nice I bet.  But I prefer wood...unless I was specifically going to be shopping for a real weatherproof, saddle-proof, cactus-sneering outfit!!!  Bandito
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2008 at 16:06
Originally posted by BSA BSA wrote:

I am looking to buy a modern rifle in 6.5x55mm. The simple reason being that I have always wanted one. The choices seem rather limited.  SAKO 85 is a bit expensive for me. I am willing to spend more on the scope, then the rifle. Accuracy of the rifle is prime consideration and one that shoots well with out the need for any tinkering by a gunsmith. Tikka T3 is looking like it might be a good choice for me. I wish that caliber was available in this country their laminated wood/stainless steel model. ....any comments ?

BSA.......... These are available in the USA......... Scheels All Sports (a retailer with stores in Minnesota, North & South Dakota, Nebraska, Iowa and maybe others) carry these guns and I've held them in my own little grubby paws!!!!!   They are beautiful and I like the feel way better than the synthetics!  The phone number for the store here in Omaha is 402-289-5666.
take em!
BSA View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BSA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2008 at 17:19
The importer shows 6.5x55mm not being offered in the Tikka T3 Laminated Stainless. But, I know TIkka does offer that caliber in the laminated stainless model......it's on the Finnish website
timber View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2008 at 23:13
I love my Swede, a Featherweight Stainless.  I bought it from Scheels.  It'll shoot MOA.  I see them for sale from time to time on the online gun brokers.  I'd save for the Sako 85 or find one of these.

publius View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote publius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/24/2008 at 19:41
Timber, that is beautiful, I didn't think Win. was going to have the 6.5 with the new production. That is one of their new rifles right? As in, produced since the re-opening of Win?  
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/24/2008 at 21:13
Originally posted by publius publius wrote:

Timber, that is beautiful, I didn't think Win. was going to have the 6.5 with the new production. That is one of their new rifles right? As in, produced since the re-opening of Win?  
negative.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
timber View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/24/2008 at 23:20
Just showing off with the pics.  Wish more people would do pictures though.

This 70 is one of the last ones from the old factory.  Winchester has an updated website showing the new stuff.  I haven't heard if they're available yet.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/25/2008 at 01:51
Originally posted by timber timber wrote:

I love my Swede, a Featherweight Stainless.  I bought it from Scheels.  It'll shoot MOA.  I see them for sale from time to time on the online gun brokers.  I'd save for the Sako 85 or find one of these.

Sweet rifle Timber!!
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic