OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Nikon Monarch vs Leupold Windriver Cascades

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobR93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nikon Monarch vs Leupold Windriver Cascades
    Posted: July/16/2008 at 18:03
Nikon Monarch 10x40 vs Leupold Windriver Cascades 10x42

I have both pair...the Nikons being about 5 years old and the Leupolds are new. I would like to hear from some of the experts as to which pair they think are better and why!

Thanks, Bob
DAVE44 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAVE44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2008 at 19:32
I dont own either, but I would like to hear your opinion on them. I compared them a couple of times at Sportsmans and Basspro. Its weird , first time I prefered the cascades they seemed a little sharper with better color, second time I liked the Nikons because for the same reasons. I didnt like the slow focus of the cascades and I much prefered the focus knob and feel of the Nikons. I am considering getting some Monarchs or New Leupold Mohaves which I havent seen yet but they look like they may just be a Pinnacle with a different body and cheaper price.
BobR93 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobR93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2008 at 20:16
Dave44,

I had a similar experience as you did when I first purchased the Nikon's...I went back and forth with several brands and finally settled on the Nikons mainly due to 2 reasons: 1. They were comfortable and easy to use. 2. I owned several Nikon Monarch scopes and never had a lick of trouble with them, so I figured it should be the same with the binoculars...I was not disapointed.

Now I'm faced with a similar problem...I just got these Leupold (they are brand new) from a friend who owed me some money. When I compare the two I think at times the Leupold seem clearer, however, the Nikons are still more user friendly. I'm going to sell one of the glasses very soon...I just don't know which pair yet. Actually this is a good problem to have. I sure there are some techies (I mean that in a good way!) out there that can give specific info as to why one is better than the other! Thanks, Bob
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2008 at 20:31
The Nikon Monarch, Leupold Cascade, Bushnell Legend, Pentax DCF WP II, and a host of others are all pretty comparable glass.  The number of different brands and models in this price/performance range is just dizzying.  Still, you are probably best off sticking to one of these better known brand names as you will have a better chance of getting acceptable warranty service should it ever be necessary.

If you have one that seems significantly better than another, it is most likely due to sample variation.  Pick two more samples of the same binoculars and the comparison results could easily be reversed.   This is especially true of the 10x models which invariably show a greater degree of sample variation than the 8x models.

Preferences will mostly be based on ergonomics, styling, and brand bias issues rather than on any material differences in optical performance.
What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/2008 at 10:44
I pretty much agree with Luczink here.  Not much difference.  In my experience all binoculars in that price range are pretty similar.  The one I see that might be the best bang for the buck in that price range is the Vortex Diamondback.  It's less money than the Monarch and has a lot wider fov @420' than any other in its class.  The optics are pretty much on par with the Monarch and Cascade.  If you want to spend at this level I think you will be better off with 8x rather than 10x.  The more magnification you choose, the more difficult it becomes to make the higher magnification the optical equal of its smaller cousin.  I have seen some pretty dismal 10x Monarchs and Cascades.  Others seem OK.  So I think sample variation will be a lot worse at 10x.  I have 8x42 Monarchs and they are a pretty decent binocular.  I went with a Vortex Viper @ 10x42 and am glad I did.  So if I were you I'd seriously consider something like the Viper or a Pentax SP.
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

BobR93 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobR93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/2008 at 12:00
I appreciate everyones comments...It appears that between there 2 optics there really isn't any structure/quality difference. Since I own both pair (albeit, Leupold for only 2 days) I was hoping on making a decision based on some structural/quaility difference. I guess I will have to take both pair to the woods and just give them a field test to determine which pair I keep. I can't keep both!

If both of the bino's were forsale at a reasonable price which would you buy?
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/2008 at 18:32
Bob,

That is real simple.  Since you seem to have both, keep the one you like.  I does not matter at all what I or anyone else tells you is the best one.  You have to use them, not somebody else.  If there is some sort of variation you eyes will tell you which is best for you.  If you can see no difference, then flip a coin.  Or use some ergonomic feature to determine the keeper.
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

BobR93 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobR93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/2008 at 22:53
Steve, I certainly agree with you...I just wanted to know if there was some technical/reliability issue with either pair of glasses that would make one better than the other...It's off to the woods!

You'll know which pair I keep when you see which pair are for sale! Thanks! Bob
DAVE44 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAVE44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2008 at 09:14
BobR93,

Which Leupold model did you get from your friend that seems a tad clearer or sharper than your Nikons? I too find the Nikons about perfect in everything except the glass compared to the Cascades. I read on hear that the new Leupold Mohave is an redesigned Cascade but its specs are almost exactly like the Pinnacle which is a much more expensive bino.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic