OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Leupold dropping VX3 and VX-L's???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leupold dropping VX3 and VX-L's???
    Posted: July/16/2008 at 14:07
Is this true that Leupold is dropping the VX3 and VX-L's to make room for something new and improved?
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2008 at 16:13
Tagged for SITREP.
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2008 at 16:46
I just read that on another forum... very interesting. Dropping the VXIII seems very odd to me. Oh well, what do I know anyway.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2008 at 16:52
It was no surprise to see the news about the VX-L cause it's a dog. Always thought the VX3 was one of their best, although a little high priced. I hope that Leupold just doesn't put their spin doctors to work with catchee new names and higher price tags for the same scope, which they have been pretty successful at in the past.

Edited by Roy Finn - July/16/2008 at 16:53

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2008 at 16:57
Originally posted by Roy Finn Roy Finn wrote:

It was no surprise to see the news about the VX-L cause it's a dog. 

I've seen two VX-L's at my range and I thought they were VERY nice optically, save the screwy objective housing.

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2008 at 17:01
For the money you could have a Kahles couldn't ya?
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2008 at 17:05
Yes, I believe so.  That is where Leupold is really going to shoot themselves in the foot, I think,  by going Dollar for Dollar with the Big European brands.  This is just my guess.  But whatever they do, I doubt if prices will get better!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2008 at 17:06
Originally posted by Roy Finn Roy Finn wrote:

For the money you could have a Kahles couldn't ya?

Yes Sir.
I'm just saying, the two I looked through were optically quite impressive. Both had the Varmint Hunter reticle too, which I thought was nice.

Leupold!!!!!   
Mojo View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman
All Mojo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2008 at 20:55
That screwy objective housing is "butt ugly" IMO

Mojo 
MOJO
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2008 at 21:03
That was their answer to the question that was never asked. Most hunters I've spoke with either felt they needed a 50mm and didn't care about the added mounting height or, like myself, never found many hunting situations were a 50mm was even needed. They have also been pretty successful at convincing hunters that they need at least 4" of eye relief on every rifle regardless of caliber. Can't tell you how many times I've heard that argument. Variable eye relief? Yep that's a big benefit to these "serious" hunters. Makes me laugh though.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2008 at 22:01
this is the time when we need nick k from leupold  to show back up whether or not he could say anything i guess would be another story.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/2008 at 00:02
If they keep their price point and introduce higher quality glass, then they will be back in the position that they once were. I would gladly welcome seeing that.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/2008 at 10:08
Originally posted by cyborg cyborg wrote:

If they keep their price point and introduce higher quality glass, then they will be back in the position that they once were. I would gladly welcome seeing that.

Dream On.  They might introduce better glass but it wont be the same price you can bank on that.  I was surprised to see the Leupold Mark 4 PR be such a short lived line of optics.
I'm sure it really hammers the businesses selling scopes for their inventory to all of a sudden be the OLD model when the spiffy NEW model comes out. May be we can look forward to some clearance prices on the OLD modelsSold there could be a bright side it this if it is true after all.

How has the Mark 2 line been doing I haven't really seen any on the range or in stores here.   

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/2008 at 12:24
VX-3 disconitinued? that is odd.

If I were Leupold, I would discontinue Rifleman, VX-1 and all the other scope below VX-2.  To compete in the cheaper market segment they have the Redfield brand.

ILya
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/2008 at 13:00
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

VX-3 disconitinued? that is odd.

If I were Leupold, I would discontinue Rifleman, VX-1 and all the other scope below VX-2.  To compete in the cheaper market segment they have the Redfield brand.

ILya

I agree absolutely 100% there, Koshkin, but I honestly think Leupold is trying to go head to head with Zeiss and Company ---in order to maintain their IMAGE!!!  I swear to God, that's what it looks like.....when their bread and butter is DOWN HERE....in the REAL WORLD!!
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/2008 at 13:32
I am perfectly with them trying to go head to head with the Germans, but then they need to drop the price of VX-7 by 40% or so.

ILya
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/2008 at 13:57
I think your right, but, Leupold customers seem to feel that lower prices equal lower quality. Look how far they gotten with lower quality and higher prices and solid marketing. For their customers it works.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/2008 at 14:03
It may sound a bit harsh, but Leupold's fanbase is slowly dying out.  Younger shooters seem to be a lot less attached to the sentimental value Leupold offers than their fathers are.  As the generations change, Leupold will find itself in all sorts of trouble with their current marketing strategy.  They need something that offers a better value proposition.

ILya
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/2008 at 14:09
Well they tried that, it's called a Rifleman and VX1. Don't laugh, they think that they already answered that call to duty. Can you imagine where scopes like the Conquest, 4200, Big Sky and the like would be today if they had the time and marketing drive behind them as does Leupold? Holy crap.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/2008 at 14:19
One thing I forgot to add is that one of the reasons people buy Leupolds is likely going to be part of their death as a company, warranty service. I don't see how they can warranty scopes that are second, third, forth hand or more indefinitely. That has to be one of the reasons for their higher prices as it must be built into the price of new scope sales. You can't keep fixing old scopes for free and not recoup the money somehow.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic