OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Bushnell = Bausch and Lomb?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote obi-wan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bushnell = Bausch and Lomb?
    Posted: December/18/2004 at 10:14
I was looking at the bushnell 4200 elite w firefly reticle and the company said it was out but had the bausch and lomb 4200 elite w firefly in stock= same price  Is it the same scope under a different name or what?  How are they different?
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2004 at 22:24
To the best of my knowledge, the FireFly reticle was developed by Bushnell. Otherwise, the scopes are identical. The B&L 4200's came with the Rainguard lens coatings, however. If you are not hellbent on the FireFly reticle and you can get a substantial savings on the B&L 4200, get it!!
obi-wan View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote obi-wan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2004 at 09:05
Supposedly they have it with a firefly reticle also... How can this be?  It was the same price as the Bushnell and supposedly identical.  Are they the same company?
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2004 at 12:35

Whoever you are taking to is confused.  Most likely they do not sell many scopes and have yet to update their data base from when Bushnell stopped using the B&L name to market the Elite scopes.  They may still have some B&L Elite scopes in stock along with the latest Bushnell Elite scopes and it is causing them to call all Elite scopes B&L.

There is no such thing as a B&L with a FireFly reticle.

Edited by Chris
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2004 at 10:12
Chris is 100% correct on this one. The FireFly reticle was developed by Bushnell for the Bushnell Elite scopes. If you can get a "substantial" savings on the B&L Elite 4200 w/o FireFly and do most of your hunting where low light is not a concern, then get the the B&L. Myself, however, absolutely love the not only the fact that the FireFly is a huge asset in low light, but is a good lowlight reticle design despite the fact that it work as advertised. Hoe many times have you peered through a scope during low light conditions and where not able to properly see the reticle? Good luck with your purchase. One last thing, B&L, I believe, is a division of Bushnell. The Elites with the B&L or Bushnell are identical in quality and manufacture.

Edited by Roy Finn
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2004 at 10:23
The current Elites started life as a Bausch & Lomb Elites. Bushnell paid B&L to use their name because they did not think they could market high end and low end scopes successfully under one name.  The license agreement ran out about five years ago and they started calling them Bushnell Elites.  The only difference between the 3000 and 3200 or a 4000 and a 4200 is the Rainguard coatings.  There are a few B&L 3200 and 4200 scopes floating around but they are very rare because only a very small number were made before the change over happened.
Boomholzer View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boomholzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2004 at 11:00
I have a pair of 4-16x50 4200 Elites in both the Bushnell and the B&L flavor.  Besides the way the numbers are etched into the AO, I can't tell them apart. 
obi-wan View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote obi-wan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2004 at 19:00
The lady said it was a b&l 4200 with firefly reticle, because the bushnell was on back order from the company, maybe she was confused.  Anyway I got tired of it and order the illuminated mildot
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2004 at 09:23

I assumed you did not order it from us because our employees should know this information.  If you did then I need to educate them on the differences.  The only reason I can think of that you would not order from us is because of price.  Keep in mind that we are an authorized dealer for Bushnell and have to abide by their minimum advertised price policy (in print).  If you find a better price we will beat it by 110% of the difference.

obi-wan View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote obi-wan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2004 at 21:52

For all those people shopping around* * I had emailed SWFA about price matching because you were much closer to my location, but did get a reply so I ordered it from DigitalFotoCLub.  I got an email the next day saying you'll would match it if they had the piece in stock(i assumed they did when I ordered it).  I also got an email from DigitalFotoClub shortly after you'lls saying it was on back order from the company and they had no clue as to when it would be getting in.  I waited 2 weeks with still no word on an arrival date and cancelled my order.  In the mean time they took the scope (and it's price) off their website, I am sure stocking up on backorders.  The people at SWFA were very nice and have been very helpful and do the have the lowest price on the 4200 Firefly-in stock, if your looking for one. I would certainly consider them in any future purcahse. 

chazgreen View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chazgreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2005 at 12:05

chris, you comment on 29 dec about beating anybodys' price by 110% is comforting to hear. I think swfa is a reliable company.

chazgreen
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic