OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope recommendation for me?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gunshow75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2008 at 19:53
To settle a disagreement, a friend and I recently compared his 3x9 4200 to my Conquests, both 3.5x10, 44.  We looked at black print on a red box a lawnmower came in.  The print was about 2 inches tall and about 1/2 inche wide.  We placed the box at a distance of about 50 yards. 

We cut the box into two pieces.  We put one in full sun and the second into a shaded area.  We began in mid-afternoon and made periodic observations until we could no longer distinguish the black print from the red background, which was too late to shoot, IMO.  It was, by my assessment, dark; by his "just before dark."  I'm 65 and he is 45.  We had only a bit of moon showing. 

Both he and I could read the print with the Conquests about 10 to 12 minutes longer than with the 4200, both in the open and in the shade.  That said, we could see well enough to shoot beyond reasonable light with the 4200.  We lost the ability to see the print in the shade about 20 minutes before we lost the ability in the open.  

As you can see, this was not a scientifically controlled experiment for many reasons. Perhaps a bit of apples vs oranges.  Just general viewing through the scopes convinced us that my Conquests had better resolution than his 4200.  While I thought the color was more vibrant, more true, for the Conquests, he could not discern a difference.  We agreed that my Conquests were a bit better than his 4200.  Other scopes might have fared differently.

As regards the test done in Finland, check the following website:

Tom

Mojo View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman
All Mojo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2008 at 20:46
I'll go with either the Primos or the 4200, NOT the VX I.  Deciding factors may be the pricing, or the type of reticle you may wish to have.  Good luck.

Mojo
MOJO
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2008 at 20:58
      THANKS for the info Tom!  Your results are similar to what I've read from others who have compared those two series of scopes.  I really wouldn't say apples vs oranges. Every so often a product is introduced to the public that just performs all out of proportion to it's price. As is the Elite 4200 3-9x40 and why it's being touted as the best value in a scope.  I would never suggest that the 4200 is the equal of the Conquest but as you and others have said,the Conquest is a bit better than the 4200.  This is what the people who contributed to the development of the SWFA scope scale found out and so placed the two in the same position on the scale along with two Nikon series of scopes.
     Been wanting to take a look at that Finland test. THANKS again.

til later
dougk View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2008 at 21:39
Originally posted by Gunshow75 Gunshow75 wrote:

To settle a disagreement, a friend and I recently compared his 3x9 4200 to my Conquests, both 3.5x10, 44.  

Thanks, Great first hand information....

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2008 at 21:59
where in the world is koshkin? he would be able to settle all doubts

paging the dark lord we have a code sam in the rifle scopes, code sam in the riflescopes! ilya please respondPolice
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Gunshow75 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gunshow75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/2008 at 09:08
While trying to direct viewers to the Finnish report about scope performance in low light conditions, it appears that by copying the weblink, I, quite by accident, created a problem.  The link was made unusable, which I can understand and appreciate.  I apologize for my insensitive approach to provide this information.

For those of you who have an interest in the report, I will try to create a new thread with the title Finnish Low Light Scope Test.  I will present the material in its original format.

Tom

Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/2008 at 09:31
Well, Gunshow75's report was very good......that's the kind of "tests" I perform sometimes---the old "look-through-the-dang-thing-in-the-twilight test......Not very scientific but it certainly works to let one know what is what.  I will have to remember that the Conquest is really better to lots of folks than the 4200.
Gunshow75 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gunshow75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/2008 at 10:14
Mr Ed, your point is well taken.  We often forget that the positive, comparative, and superlative forms of adjectives, saying good, better and best, for example, only represents our opinion about something.  Others can have different opinions, valid ones, about the same thing.  Had my friend and I looked at a different 4200, we might have had different results and opinions.

Tom

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/2008 at 22:25
when i was doing my test drive of the conquest i compared it to my 4200 at last light and at dark and to be honest i couldnt tell the difference, other than the zeiss's reticle was a little heavier so it was easier to see.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
dougk View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/2008 at 03:18
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

when i was doing my test drive of the conquest i compared it to my 4200 at last light and at dark and to be honest i couldnt tell the difference, other than the zeiss's reticle was a little heavier so it was easier to see.

Pyro
thats great first hand observation.  Was the objective lens tha same on both scopes?

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/2008 at 05:43
yes, they were both 3x9x40
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/2008 at 13:33
Well in THAT scenario ---the 3X9 ----the Bushnell 4200 would be the clear winner for money, right?     Otherwise, the 4200 and the Conquests are about equal--sort of? 
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/2008 at 15:54
    Yepper,that 4200's quite a piece of optics!

til later
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/2008 at 20:31
Originally posted by Ed Connelly Ed Connelly wrote:

Well in THAT scenario ---the 3X9 ----the Bushnell 4200 would be the clear winner for money, right?     Otherwise, the 4200 and the Conquests are about equal--sort of? 
hey ed!

yeah in my eyes i would say for the price difference and the rain guard feature i would certainly give the 4200 the edge, im not real familiar with bushnells cs dept however, so i know zeiss's cs dept has a pretty good reputation. glass wise i had a very hard time calling either one a winner i would have to spend a lot of time in the field comparing the two before i  would feel comfortable declaring a clear cut winner.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic