OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope recommendation for me?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AimingHigh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope recommendation for me?
    Posted: July/14/2008 at 11:18
Hello.  I am looking for a scope for my new Remington 700 sps camo 30-06.  What would you guys recommend for $300 or less.  I will be hunting primarily deer and hogs in Texas, but would like it to be as versatile as possible for other hunting opportunities I might get in the future.

I have been looking at the Leupold VX-1, 3-9X50.  Is that a good one for the money?

Also, what are the advantages/disadvantages to a 50mm scope?  I have heard that you might not be able to cheek a rifle with a 50mm scope because you have to use high rings to mount it.  Is that true?  If so, that may be enough to keep me from getting a 50mm.

Any thoughts/recommendations you guys have would be great!  Thanks!
There are 3 kinds of people in this world...those that can count and those that can't!
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/14/2008 at 11:29
Originally posted by AimingHigh AimingHigh wrote:

Hello.  I am looking for a scope for my new Remington 700 sps camo 30-06.  What would you guys recommend for $300 or less.  I will be hunting primarily deer and hogs in Texas, but would like it to be as versatile as possible for other hunting opportunities I might get in the future.

I have been looking at the Leupold VX-1, 3-9X50.  Is that a good one for the money?

Also, what are the advantages/disadvantages to a 50mm scope?  I have heard that you might not be able to cheek a rifle with a 50mm scope because you have to use high rings to mount it.  Is that true?  If so, that may be enough to keep me from getting a 50mm.

Any thoughts/recommendations you guys have would be great!  Thanks!
..................I`ll cut to the chase!! The best scope for the money in a 3x9, will be the Elite 4200 w/ Rainguard. Much better than the VX1.... Stick with the 40mm obj. bell. There will only be a fractions difference in any light gathering with a 50mm. The 50`s are more expernsive, heavier and have a higher profile......Go with the 3x9 4200 for the best possible value out there....................Wink
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/14/2008 at 12:14
Unfortunately, the words "Leupold" and "good for the money"  are not COMPATIBLE.  Bucky

Leupolds are good scopes.....but "FOR THE MONEY"....well,  BUSHNELL 4200 and Nikon and Sightron will work.....Leupold only works if you want a Leupold and don't care that they are ripping you off----you will wind up with a good, durable, pretty scope that works good......you'll just be paying more than the guy next to you who is using a Fantastic Bushnell 4200.......Shocked  
thinkingman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thinkingman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/14/2008 at 13:33
Nikon Team Primos
Bushnell 4200
NOT LEUPOLD!
cbm View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/14/2008 at 14:09
Yeh, I'd opt for the Nikon Primos or Bushnell 4200 also !!
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/14/2008 at 15:46
4200 elite 3-9X at SWFA 249.95 You can't beat it. The team Primos as well as cbm suggests. Either are great especially for the duckage.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
martin3175 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/14/2008 at 20:55
It's been said----4200 Elite !
dougk View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/14/2008 at 22:03
Why a 3-9 vs a 2-8?  I would think target acquisition wou
ld be better with a lower power scope.  Will you be hunting hogs at night?

What scope has better resale Leupold or Bushnell?  
Doug
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/15/2008 at 06:20
resale?? who would want to get rid of a 4200??
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/15/2008 at 07:50
Well, you can ALWAYS sell a Leupold!!!   They come after you like DAWN OF THE EVIL DEAD ZOMBIES with their arms out-- carrying money!!!  But who buys a scope for RESALE Value?? 
( I don't even give a damn if its got a guarantee Shocked----but I'm from the old days where stuff was SUPPOSED TO WORK......y'know---you buy a hammer and you figure its not gonna break!! )   

So the correct answer is:  Leupold..... 
mercenary1947 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/15/2008 at 08:21

In my opinion .... a 4200 smokes a VX-1 .... as well do the Nikons . Remember aiminghigh ... those vx-1 's are the bottom end of leupolds .

One Shot One Kill .... *S.O.F * Head Shots Only
               SWFAM
AimingHigh View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AimingHigh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/15/2008 at 11:55
Based on the recommendations so far, I am strongly leaning towards the Bushnell Elite 4200 3-9X40.  Had a few questions about it:

1.  What type of flip-up scope covers would you recommend for this scope? 
One of the things I like about the Leupold is that it had covers that would screw in and be secure.  I have used covers that slide on to each end of the scope, but then also slide around and get in the way once it flips open.

2.  Is Bushnell discontinuing this 4200 model now the 6500 has come out? 
If so, is there any reason why that would be a negative thing?

Thanks for all your help so far!
There are 3 kinds of people in this world...those that can count and those that can't!
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/15/2008 at 12:24
Originally posted by AimingHigh AimingHigh wrote:

Based on the recommendations so far, I am strongly leaning towards the Bushnell Elite 4200 3-9X40.  Had a few questions about it:

1.  What type of flip-up scope covers would you recommend for this scope? 
One of the things I like about the Leupold is that it had covers that would screw in and be secure.  I have used covers that slide on to each end of the scope, but then also slide around and get in the way once it flips open.

2.  Is Bushnell discontinuing this 4200 model now the 6500 has come out? 
If so, is there any reason why that would be a negative thing?

Thanks for all your help so far!
...................Never had covers on my former 4200. But I`d go with the flip up`s by Butler...............Whether the 3x9 4200 is discontinued or not,,,, get that scope anyway! You`ll still be covered by the warranty. Its a great scope for the buckos.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/15/2008 at 12:38
I you order them here http://www.swfa.com/pc-7280-185-bushnell-3-9x40-elite-4200-rifle-scope.aspx you will be asked if you want the Butler Creeks on the second page of your shopping basket. Great choice, BTW.
AimingHigh View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AimingHigh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2008 at 09:29
Well, first let me thank all of you that have offered advice thus far.  It has really helped me learn alot about scopes.  I appreciate your patience as I learn and ask questions.

I was just about settled in on a Bushnell 4200 when I noticed that the Nikon Primos was actually $100 cheaper.  I know some of you recommended the Primos but I was looking at it as though it were the same price as the 4200.

So, for $199.95 is the Nikon Primos 3-9X40 (aka Nikon Monarch) a better deal for the money?  I know they both look to be excellent scopes.  And from my novice eyes it looks like the two are pretty comparable in features, quality, etc. 

It basically seems like I could could Monarch quality at Buckmaster pricing.  And just about get 4200 quality for $100 cheaper in the Primos, without much compromise.

Thanks again for any thoughts you may have...

300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2008 at 10:05
  AH,you can look at it that way OR you can look at it as getting a scope (4200 Elite) that is almost at the performance level of the Zeiss Conquest for $250 less than the Zeiss. Just an opinion.

til later
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2008 at 11:31
My Vote is for the 3-9x 4200.  I have two of them and am completely satisfied with them as a hunting scope.  They have great optics and I really enjoy using them.  Great scope for the money.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2008 at 16:39
I had the exact same question from a guy at work today. I recommended the Bushnell. Going on a Mauser converted to 25-06.
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
dougk View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2008 at 18:34
Originally posted by 300S&W 300S&W wrote:

AH,you can look at it that way OR you can look at it as getting a scope (4200 Elite) that is almost at the performance level of the Zeiss Conquest for $250 less than the Zeiss. Just an opinion.

til later

Who has actually compared the 4200 to the Conquest in daylight, dusk and night time (full moon) conditions?  I understand there was a comparison of the major scopes in Finland ( I think) for dusk and night time hunting conditions.  I dont know how the 4200 performed.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2008 at 19:24
   Doug,search-SWFA scope scale. This formal comparison plus posts by people on this forum and other forums say their results from hands on experiences show the 4200 series scopes compare favorably with the Conquest series.

til later
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic