OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

SIGHTRON BIG SKY

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAVE44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SIGHTRON BIG SKY
    Posted: July/14/2008 at 01:20
These new Sightron SII 3-9x42 cost about $150.00 more than the older SII models. They now have a climate control coating like RAINGAURD on the Elites. Do they have fast focus eyepieces now or are they still the same old screw down style? How would these new Sightrons compare to a New Nikon Monarch in all areas especially optics? They are about the same price so is the Signature Select but I think more people tend to prefer the Nikons to Burris so that is a comparison I would like to be made.
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/15/2008 at 06:18
The Sightron is a fine scope, the price increase is likely due to several economic factors. There will be alot of that coming up. The coating works from all that I have raed and heard. I just recently handled a SII and I can't remember about the fast focus eye piece. That generally isn't something that I concern myself with. If the glass is good, the scope workmanship is good, then I will appreciate it. It compares very well with other scopes in that price point I hope this helps.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/15/2008 at 10:43
S2 Big Sky scopes do not have fast focus eyepiece, just like the regular S2.

S2 Big Sky scopes have completely redesigned optical system, so they are notably better than the S2.  The adjustment knobs are different: S2 Big Sky has these knobs that you pull up reset the scale to zero (same as on Vortex Viper).  Big Sky scopes also have nearly constant eye relief of 3.8-4.0 inches at all magnifications.  Eye position flexibility is also better.

ILya
DAVE44 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAVE44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/15/2008 at 16:46
Thanks Koshkin, I think the brightness between most scopes in this price range to me is pretty even. Do you think the New Big Sky would compare to a Zeiss Conquest in resoloution and crispness of view or is it at least a better deal than a New Monarch that is about $30 more?
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/15/2008 at 16:49
I have spent very little time with the New Monarch, but the Big Sky is pretty close to the Conquest.

ILya
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic