OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Mounts & Accessories > Rings and bases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

B-Square Universal Shotgun Mount

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wecole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: B-Square Universal Shotgun Mount
    Posted: July/13/2008 at 18:14

Has anyone had experience with this mount?  It seems to clamp on the vent rib.  I worry about strength of the mount and flexing with the weight of a scope.

I am thinking about building up a poor man's combination gun by buying a cheap over-under shotgun and putting a .30-30 Winchester barrel insert into one of the barrels.  I would like to mount a 2-7 Monarch that I have on a shelf.  None of the cheap over-unders (e.g., Stoeger) have dedicated scope mounts, so I was looking at the B-Square universal.  Thoughts?

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/2008 at 19:08
I think you are well on your way to shooting a hole in your wallet.  Do you know what a DRILLING is?  (3 barreled gun with two shotgun and one rifle barrel -  european /spendy)
You will not have reliable accuracy with the setup you described. Why dont you consider a couple of single shots one a handy rifle in say 308 or 30-06 and a single shot 12 ga or for that matter a nice pump 12 ga or 20 ga.  If you are set on the one gun concept take a 12 ga and shoot some sabbot slugs out of it with an aimpoint scope.  The 30-30 out of an insert does not sound like reliable accuracy to me because it is moved each time you load it.
Take the scope you have and put it on a 22 you can probably kill more game with that than the combo gun.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
wecole View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wecole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/2008 at 19:26
I know what a drilling is.  If I win the lottery I'm going to buy a Blazer.  Those are sweet!

I was looking at the Savage 24, but they are out of production and the used guns in .30-30 (the only deer caliber they made) are hard to find.  I saw a used Zolli combination gun at a local store in 6.5 Swede over 12 gauge that was tempting, but it was still out of my price range.

I have read reports that the 18" inserts from MCA (http://www.mcace.com/shotguninserts.htm) have good repeatability as long as you make sure to align them in the barrel the same way each time.  You do not have to remove them between shots, only when you want to use the shotgun.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/14/2008 at 13:17
B-Square says no-slip and I wonder what that entails. If it does not involve a set screw, stud or cross slot in the rib I would not trust it. I have no experience with shotgun ribs but all my spring guns that I've tried using only clamping with the mounts have moved. Springers can recoil hard in both directions but the guns you are talking about do kick. 
wecole View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wecole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2008 at 05:33
Thanks folks.  It looks like it has cross bars that go under the rib and then set screws to secure them to the rail.  It probably clamps on to the rib pretty securely.  I worry a little about flexing and perhaps breaking the rib off the barrel.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic