OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting, Fishing & General Outdoors > General Hunting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Texas Indigo Snake

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Texas Indigo Snake
    Posted: July/13/2008 at 13:35
If you see one of these don't kill it.  They are pretty common in S. Texas and during deer season many out of state hunters shoot them not knowing what they are.  The Texas Indigo also called the Blue Indigo are the longest snakes in N. America and can exceed 10 feet, so when you see one in the field it is an impressive site, but what is even more impressive is the fact that they are imune to rattlesnake venon and rattlesnakes are a staple of their diet.  Most ranches will warn hunters not to shoot them and I've seen signs in gas stations and restaurant in S. Texas with pictures and explanations as to what these snakes are so that they don't get shot.  There is a saying in Texas, "If it's an Indigo, let it go."

Here's some pictures of an average size Texas Indigo.

Edited by Chris Farris - July/25/2008 at 16:25
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/2008 at 13:42
holy crap thats awesome!!
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/2008 at 14:01
Cool pics!!!
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/2008 at 14:04
I caught one of those when I was a kid that probably went about 6' long.  Cool snake!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/2008 at 14:07
Fortunately we bury our well equipment up here. I think I would poo all over myself if I went to the well and came across that thing.
That is interesting about the relationship with rattlesnakes, too.
Time to Google, thanks.
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/2008 at 14:11
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

holy crap thats awesome!!

+1
Average Joe View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Average Joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/2008 at 14:12
I'm into Snake on SnakeSnake
I'm classic shag nasty type.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/2008 at 14:17
Originally posted by tahqua tahqua wrote:

Time to Google, thanks.

I did the same thing, some interesting facts and awesome pics of snake out there!

Say's it's essentially a tropical animal, will eat almost anything it can swallow, and protected by the State of Texas as a threatened species.

“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/2008 at 14:17
Can you imagine eating something as big as you are? Great post Bro. We have some in s Georgia, I don't know if it's the Texas or not though. I do know that they are often seen in excess of six feet. I've heard them called the Black Kingsnake.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/2008 at 14:17
Uh oh...............~
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/2008 at 14:49
The Texas Indigo and Black King Snake are of the same type (colubrid) but not the same species.

The Black King is a member of the same genus as the King snake that is often confused with the Coral snake.  "Red on yellow, kill a fellow. Red on black, Don't kill Jack."

Both are known for eating other snakes and being imune to their venon, especially the King snake, hence it's name.
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/2008 at 22:58
I was looking through the Indigo family, How did someone stumble onto them being different? Look at the Eastern Indigo, and the Texas, both are of the same size and everything. They look the same too. The only difference that I can see is the Eastern looks a bit more bluish. They eat the same, and all. WOW I learned something new today. All this time I thought the Indigo was a Black King snake because that was what I was raised knowing them as. KEWL MAN!!!!!!

Cyborg
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/14/2008 at 18:39
Originally posted by cyborg cyborg wrote:

I was looking through the Indigo family, How did someone stumble onto them being different? Look at the Eastern Indigo, and the Texas, both are of the same size and everything. They look the same too. The only difference that I can see is the Eastern looks a bit more bluish. They eat the same, and all. WOW I learned something new today. All this time I thought the Indigo was a Black King snake because that was what I was raised knowing them as. KEWL MAN!!!!!!

Troll
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/15/2008 at 06:51
Nice looking animal.
God save the Empire!
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/15/2008 at 08:19
I wish I had one here, mommas on my rear about all the snakes she has encountered around the yard.  A couple of them were copperheads.  She wasn't happy, and y'all know the saying "If Momma ain't happy..........."
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
publius View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote publius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/24/2008 at 20:09
I don't kill any snakes except water moccasins. They hang around in areas where you can step on them easily and they are just mean bastards. I leave everything else alone, including rattlesnakes.
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/25/2008 at 14:41

Here is a video of a large one, look closely at it's iridescent coloration and the length and girth of this monster serpent.

cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/25/2008 at 19:10
That'd be a sure enough LARGE critter there.

Cyborg
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/25/2008 at 22:42
Originally posted by Ed Connelly Ed Connelly wrote:

Originally posted by cyborg cyborg wrote:

Troll
Hey ED!!!!!!!Middle%20Finger

Cyborg
flyspy1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyspy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/2008 at 07:02
Yall got a snake in Texas that'll eat alligators?  I need one so my other lab doesn't get eaten.
If you give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day, but if you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic