OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Trijicon or Leupold???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brodeur272 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trijicon or Leupold???
    Posted: July/11/2008 at 11:08
Hey all,

I am thinking of picking up an illuminated reticle big game scope.  Looking at the Trij 1.24-4 with the German #4 or the Leupy VX-III Ill German 4.  Any thoughts/suggestions/experience with them?  Rifle caliber will be 375/458

Thanks!
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2008 at 11:15
I like the Trijicon.....
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
timber View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2008 at 12:55
I had a Leupold 3.5-10 with an illuminated German #4.  I found the dot (the only part illuminated) to be too small.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2008 at 13:41
Originally posted by cyborg cyborg wrote:

I like the Trijicon.....

Cyborg, gotta do something about your light saber!!  Roll%20on%20Floor%20Laughing
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2008 at 13:49
Originally posted by mike650 mike650 wrote:

Cyborg, gotta do something about your light saber!!  Roll%20on%20Floor%20Laughing

I think that's a metaphor for another entirely different problem, only on a much smaller scale.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2008 at 14:27
Laugh it up FURBALL!!!!! You hang out with Ed all day and see if yours does any better....Wink

Cyborg
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2008 at 14:51

Laugh it up FURBALL!!!!! You hang out with Ed all day and see if yours does any better....Wink

Is Ed to draning for you?

Trijicon all the way
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2008 at 15:27
Originally posted by Bigdaddy0381 Bigdaddy0381 wrote:

Is Ed to draning for you?

Trijicon all the way
I'm trying to find a way to answer this and still also remain on topic.......Thinking
This is a comparison of two different ideas, Trijicon good value for price index (Not getting screwed) wallet is thicker buy dinners and Well you get the point. Leupold would then be Ed and in that instance yes he is too draining for me.

Leupold is a solid performer that is a mainstay and for those who enjoy spending more for reputation and namesake a good value. That means for us a topic of conversation and debate and well picking. Leupold would then be Ed again, but the answer would be NO.

Cyborg
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2008 at 21:46
i too would take the trijicon, only issue i have with there scopes is the fact that at some point in time the tritium will burn out, but glass wise i like the trijicon
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
brodeur272 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brodeur272 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2008 at 07:55
Thanks guys!  I appreciate your suggestions.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2008 at 08:13
I just bought a Trijicon 1.25-4X24 with the standard amber BAC triangle reticle, and so far, I really like it, though I haven't mounted it on a rifle yet.  It is optically quite nice, and the reticle is very fast. 

As has been mentioned here several times, I don't understand why they decided to incorporate the slight objective bell, which can limit mounting length.  If they wanted a 24mm objective, they should have used a straight 30mm tube, or they could have gone with a 20mm objective and used a straight 1" tube.  Nevertheless, since I'll be mounting it on a rimfire, mounting length won't be a problem for me.  The only other negative I see to it right now is I don't like the prominent "Contains tritium.  The purchaser is exempt from any regulatory responsibility" message they decided to permanently print on the objective bell.  I think that label is an eye sore, detracting from the appearance of the scope, and in general, I hate permanent warning labels on products.  I don't understand why they couldn't have used a removable decal instead.

Otherwise, I think this is a great little scope!  I'll know more about how it stacks up to other scopes once I get it mounted and do some comparisons, but so far, it looks to be comparable to the Zeiss Conquest, Nikon Monarch, Elite 4200 class of scopes optically, which is to say, very nice.  The reticle is what's really great about this scope, though!  Very unique and innovative!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
medic52 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medic52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2008 at 08:33
I have the Trijicon 3x9 aimpoint IMHO it has been one of my better buys. Strictly used for Deer and Elk Hunting. Last Year killed a nice deer 175 yards at the very possible last light.
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2008 at 11:04

I have always wanted to test drive a Trijicon....hint --hint Chris....

Edited by cyborg - August/28/2008 at 14:18
Jon A View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/2008 at 04:53
Originally posted by timber timber wrote:

I had a Leupold 3.5-10 with an illuminated German #4.  I found the dot (the only part illuminated) to be too small.

How big was it?
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/14/2008 at 10:52
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

I just bought a Trijicon 1.25-4X24 with the standard amber BAC triangle reticle, and so far, I really like it, though I haven't mounted it on a rifle yet.  It is optically quite nice, and the reticle is very fast. 

As has been mentioned here several times, I don't understand why they decided to incorporate the slight objective bell, which can limit mounting length.  If they wanted a 24mm objective, they should have used a straight 30mm tube, or they could have gone with a 20mm objective and used a straight 1" tube.  Nevertheless, since I'll be mounting it on a rimfire, mounting length won't be a problem for me.  The only other negative I see to it right now is I don't like the prominent "Contains tritium.  The purchaser is exempt from any regulatory responsibility" message they decided to permanently print on the objective bell.  I think that label is an eye sore, detracting from the appearance of the scope, and in general, I hate permanent warning labels on products.  I don't understand why they couldn't have used a removable decal instead.

Otherwise, I think this is a great little scope!  I'll know more about how it stacks up to other scopes once I get it mounted and do some comparisons, but so far, it looks to be comparable to the Zeiss Conquest, Nikon Monarch, Elite 4200 class of scopes optically, which is to say, very nice.  The reticle is what's really great about this scope, though!  Very unique and innovative!
...........................The lower powered Trijeeee was originally the 1st choice for my 375 Ruger! Unless using very ugly offsetting rings, there is not enough mounting tube length. That stupid and worthless (on that scope), obj. bell.............One tech I talked to at Trijicon agreed.
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/14/2008 at 12:26
....they must have hired a bunch of former Burris designers..................
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/14/2008 at 20:48
Originally posted by Ed Connelly Ed Connelly wrote:

....they must have hired a bunch of former Burris designers..................

Isn't that the truth, and I like Burris!Excellent
mercenary1947 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/15/2008 at 08:25
Light%20It%20Up .......................................................... 
One Shot One Kill .... *S.O.F * Head Shots Only
               SWFAM
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/15/2008 at 10:46

Roll%20on%20Floor%20Laughing
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/15/2008 at 12:43
One "niceguy" = Clown.........................
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic