OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Simmons 6-24x44 ProHunter Master Rifle S

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote derek-wttlhntr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Simmons 6-24x44 ProHunter Master Rifle S
    Posted: July/10/2008 at 12:59
I was thinking about buying one of these and mounting it on my Tikka T3 300 WSM rifle and setting it up for long range shooting (250-500 yds).  Does anyone have experience with this scope.  From all I have read, they seem to be a good scope for the $.  I was wondering how they hold up to the recoil and to minor bumps and jarring due to 4-wheeler riding.  My father-in-law has three Aetec models and he is rough on the scopes and they hold up fine.  Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/10/2008 at 13:22
I had one.  It was "adequate", but that seems like a lot of rifle to put that scope on.  I had mine on a Browning Stalker 7mmMag w/BOSS (came with the rifle) and put it on a Ruger M77 7mm08.  The optics are just so-so.  It performed OK and I had no complaints really.  It held zero OK, but the 7Mag did have the BOSS.  Probably longest shot I ever took with it was about 300yds and it starts getting a little "fuzzy" around that range. Personally I would save up for a better scope. I think the Swift 6-18x44 w/mil-dot is better for not much more, but a Nikon Monarch or Bushnell 4200 Elite, I think, would serve you better. 
I am always trying to find the "best scope for the money".  What you generally end up with is something less than what you wanted, and you spent the money.   
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/10/2008 at 22:21
Welcome to the OT...Really don't need a 24x for any shooting with a 300WSM ....To get a better read on what to suggest- what kinda budget range are ya working with ?
derek-wttlhntr View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote derek-wttlhntr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2008 at 07:49
I was trying to stay under $300 and get decent optics.  I know I won't get a Lupy or Swar quality for that $ but I will probably only use this gun 5-10 times hunting during the year.  I origionally figured 18x would be suffuicient but when I saw these with more magnification, I figured you could always use less but never more than the capablility of the scope.  This is going to be a rifle I solely use for hunting an open area with shots between 200-500 yds and will be sighted in for the appropriate range and use a Mil-dot reticle for distance calculations.  So any suggestions or comments would be great. 
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2008 at 08:13
I would think you would want something with a lower end than 6x.  Have you looked at SWFA's Samplelist?  There are some nice scopes there right around your range.  The Nikon Monarch 4-12 is a great buy. IMO
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
martin3175 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2008 at 18:21
8941 Nikon 4-12x40 Monarch UCC 6546, Matte finish, BDC reticle, 1" tube, adjustable objective (50yds-infinity), 1/4 moa finger adjustable windage and elevation, fast focus eye piece, ring marks, factory refurbished. $299.9
sample list

Edited by martin3175 - July/12/2008 at 16:03
sholling View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sholling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2008 at 20:15
At that range I'm assuming that you have paper targets or varmints in mind. You can pick up a Weaver V24 6-24x42 for about $300 or maybe even a Grand Slam 6-20x40 for not much more. If you just want to try something cheap and see how it holds up you could try one of those Simmons Whitetail Classic 6-20x50 that SWFA is blowing out cheap. A $230 scope for $99 while they last. They are very bright and clear although they do have a chubby reticle. If it dees in a year you're only out $100, but I suspect it will do ok. The big thing I'd be worrying about is eye relief. I hate getting an face full of scope after every shot. 
NRA, SAF, & CRPA life member
Member Madison Society & Revolutionary War Veteran Association (Project Appleseed)

Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill. ;)
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2008 at 21:10
  For right at $300 SWFA's got the Leupold VX l 4-12x40 w/LR(long range)Duplex. You'll get good eye relief for your lt wt .300WSM plus the lifetime warranty. It does have friction adjustments rather than clicks but once your sighted in you won't be moving them anyways. Just wanted to give you another option.

til later
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2008 at 19:02
I am not entirely sure what you are shooting at, but if you ar eon a budget you are best of not going for too much magnification, but getting better optical quality instead.  WIth that in mind, I would highly recommend SIghtron S2 3-9x42 or NIkon Team Primos 3-9x40.  THey cost right around $200 which leaves you enough cash to get good quality bases and rings (that is as important as the scope selection).  With decent glass, you do not need a whole lot of magnification to see well and shoot well.

Another excellent option is Bushnell Elite 4200 3-9x40 at ~$250.

If yo insist on more magnification, take a look at Nikon Buckmark 4.5-14x40, Bushnell Elite 3200 4-12x40 or 5-15x40.

I would stay away from anything Simmons.  Simmons has changed hands many times are is now owned by Meade.

ILya

Edited by koshkin - July/12/2008 at 19:02
sholling View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sholling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2008 at 19:12
FYI, Bushnell just bought Simmons last month.
Member Madison Society & Revolutionary War Veteran Association (Project Appleseed)

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2008 at 19:30
Oops.  My bad.  THat happened while I was travelling and I missed it somehow.

Still, all current Simmons inventory is made under Meade ownership.

ILya
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote derek-wttlhntr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/2008 at 19:34
OK after reading the posts, I have decided to save a little more $ and opt for better glass.  I not plan on staying under $ 500 but still want max magnification at or above 16x.  I am looking @ Burris 6.5-20x50 Fullfield II Rifle Scope ,
Bushnell 4-16x50 Elite 4200 Rifle Scope ,
Nikon 4-16x50 Monarch Riflescope.
I really like the reticle in the Burris and the magnification is more what I am looking for, but i would  like opinions on quality and performance between these three scopes.  Again I will be mounting it on a Tikka 300 WSM and be using it for whitetail long range shots (250-500 yd) shots.  Any help will be appreciated.

tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/2008 at 19:45
The Bushnell and Monarch scopes are in a much better league and far surpass the FF optically. They both have plenty of magnification for your shots.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote derek-wttlhntr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/2008 at 20:52
Well I think you have talked me into either the Nikon or Bushnell.  They are basically equal in every aspect right?  Afetr season this February, a buddy of mine bet me I could not it vitals @ 600 yds with my 300 win mag.  Don't laugh but the week before I mounted a BSA 3-12x44 Air Rifle Scope on my 300 mag for this shot, sighted in 3 in high @100 yds and never once fired greater than 100 before the shot.  I was not even sure it wold hold zero from recoil.  But it did and I made a perfect center left-right and 2 inch high of bullseye shot.  I was convinced it was a 16X scope but I just realized it was only 12x so I'm sure 16 will be sufficient.  Thanks for your help.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/2008 at 21:15
Originally posted by derek-wttlhntr derek-wttlhntr wrote:

Well I think you have talked me into either the Nikon or Bushnell.  They are basically equal in every aspect right? 

The Bushy has the advantage of Rainguard. It does work at keeping the lens moisture free. The optics are pretty close, though.
sholling View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sholling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/2008 at 21:54
Both are outstanding. The Bushnell is probably a little tiny bit clearer but check the eye relief and make sure you're getting at least 3.5". I'd also add Burris Signature Select to your short list.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic