OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Importance of parallax adjustment?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aplaceinspace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Importance of parallax adjustment?
    Posted: July/10/2008 at 11:50
At what magnification/distance does parallax adjustment become critical? I know that with a repeatable cheek weld it becomes less of an issue, but if I decide to be wierd and try to shoot out to 600 or 1000 yards with a non parallax adjustable lower magnification scope, how much of a problem will it be?

Is the problem minimised with lower powers (4x, or 6x), or does it only become apparent when going over 10x? I can still find "tactical" scopes (Khales and IOR) that are at 10x with no parallax adjustment, are they just behind the times, or is it that small of an issue within a given magnification/distance envalope?

I'm asking because I like lower power optics and am considering either a fixed 6x, 2.5-8, or 3.5-10 scope for my rifle. The first two wouldn't have parallax adjustment, the last could be had with or without, without costing less (obviousely).
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/10/2008 at 12:00
Parallax can be an issue at longer distances, due to the nature of the projectile travelling along a given path. the greater the distance the further it will be off. Naturally the higher the magnification the smaller the aiming point, however this is only to a point. Most scopes that are parallax free are out to 100 yards, anything closer your fine, anything further and you will see some wandering around the POI.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/10/2008 at 12:46

Back on May 31 Chris posted a very erudite explanation of parallax.  Do a Search on parallax and you will find it and a number of others.

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/10/2008 at 13:08
God save the Empire!
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/10/2008 at 13:26
Thank you, Dogger.
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
mercenary1947 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/10/2008 at 13:37
 Yea thanks  dogger ... saved and put that in my lil notebook of facts . Some of the guys here actually think I am close to an expert with my info I've collected from this forum .... they don't know where I saved and printed all the material from ... joke's on them .... huh ? Nawww .... I tell them ! Ya learn from the best ... and they're here !
One Shot One Kill .... *S.O.F * Head Shots Only
               SWFAM
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/10/2008 at 23:39
Adjustable parallax is preferable. However the IOR 6x42 Tactical even without adjustable parallax should be a formidable scope out to 600 or so yds. If you are going to pay more money for a  better scope than that I would expect it to have adjustable parallax. One big advantage of a fixed power is that you can use the marks on the reticle for know hold over as the power is always the same the point of impact drop due to trajectory is always the same.  What scope did you have in mind?

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
aplaceinspace View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aplaceinspace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/10/2008 at 23:40
Thanks, guys.

That explains what I had heard about magnification having an effect on parallax.

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aplaceinspace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/10/2008 at 23:45
I was looking at the leupold FXIII 6x42. I see that they have a target version that comes with an adjustable objective, but it isn't available with M1 turrets. While I know target turrets and M1's will do the same thing I'd really rather not have to mess with turret caps.

Also, neither is available with the Tactical Milling Reticle Really%20Sad
Jon A View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2008 at 02:29
The custom shop should be able to put M1's on that--they'll do it on 1" tubes now--but it will add a little to the price, of course.

To your question, I really wouldn't worry about AO on a 6X and it usually won't be much of an issue on your typical 9X-10X though you don't want to completely ignore it.  One of my small gripes with the IOR 2.5-10 is that it seems the parallax is set dead on for 100 m.  That's great for 100 yd groups but there is more parallax than I'd like at longer ranges.  It's not a deal breaker if you're aware of it, I've done fairly well with it out to 1000 yds, but it sort of bugs me.   I wish they would have set it for 200 or 250; 100 yd groups might open up a bit but it would be better for my uses. 
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aplaceinspace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2008 at 09:52

The Leupold custom shop lists the 6x42 AO as not available for any custom knobs, I beleive b/c it uses 1/8 moa clicks instead of 1/4 moa clicks in the target turrets.

And as far as a parallax set farther out than 100 yards, the custom shop can set your parallax to whatever distance you specify for (I beleive) $15.00
Jon A View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2008 at 13:03
Ah, my mistake.  1/8 clicks are a PITA anyway.  If you got a regular 6X42, 3.5-10, etc you could have the custom shop put M1's on it and set the parallax at the same time; you'd be all set.     Wink    Well, other than the fact it'd be a Leupold....      Bandito
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2008 at 13:45
Originally posted by Jon A Jon A wrote:

The custom shop should be able to put M1's on that--they'll do it on 1" tubes now--but it will add a little to the price, of course.

To your question, I really wouldn't worry about AO on a 6X and it usually won't be much of an issue on your typical 9X-10X though you don't want to completely ignore it.  One of my small gripes with the IOR 2.5-10 is that it seems the parallax is set dead on for 100 m.  That's great for 100 yd groups but there is more parallax than I'd like at longer ranges.  It's not a deal breaker if you're aware of it, I've done fairly well with it out to 1000 yds, but it sort of bugs me.   I wish they would have set it for 200 or 250; 100 yd groups might open up a bit but it would be better for my uses. 

I agree, out here on West Coast, where we hunt, we have longer shots and having parallax set for 200 yards would be nice.
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aplaceinspace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2008 at 14:01
As to picking a parallax distance for a fixed parallax scope, I found this:

Now can we calculate?  Oh, goodie!  On a short scope, the objective's focal length must be around 0.1 m considering that there is an erector lens in that tube also.  The formula for the distances from a lens of the object and the image of that lens is:
                            O^-1 + I^-1 = F^-1
where:
                  O = distance from object to lens
                  I = distance from image to lens
                  F = focal length of lens

What I'd like to know is how far we'd have to bring the objective lens in if we shift the parallax correction from 50 m to 100 m.  Moving the objective lens relative to the scope body makes no essential change in the value of the variable, O.  So how far is the image from the lens when the target is at 50 m?   100 m?   150 m?

I(50) = [(F^-1)- (O^-1)]^-1 = [(.1^-1)-(50^-1)]^-1 = .1002 m
        I(100) = [(.1^-1)-(100^-1)]^-1 = .1001 m
        I(150) = [(.1^-1)-(150^-1)]^-1 = .10007 m

Sooooo, if I can find the focal length of the scope I want, and I can have the parallax adjusted to any distance I want at the factory, I can figure out a distance that would be in the middle of the range I'd like to shoot. And by using this formula I could figure out what my parallax error would be at any other given range other than the one it is pre-dialed in for, I think.

Jon A View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2008 at 14:08
Sounds like a plan.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2008 at 14:55
Whacko

“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2008 at 14:56
Big%20Grin
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2008 at 19:25
Originally posted by Jon A Jon A wrote:

Ah, my mistake.  1/8 clicks are a PITA anyway.  If you got a regular 6X42, 3.5-10, etc you could have the custom shop put M1's on it and set the parallax at the same time; you'd be all set.     Wink    Well, other than the fact it'd be a Leupold....      Bandito

I agree with the 1/8 statement.
On the other hand I do have a now discontinued 6x42 Tactical Leupold. It has adjustment down to 50 yards and up to infinity, which is far more than adequate for my purposes. It is one of my best scopes including several Kahles C types.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2008 at 20:01
Wizard   
POOF    Problem Solved>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
LEU60020 Leupold%203.5-10x40%20Mark%204%20LR/T%2030mm%20Riflescope%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20 Leupold 3.5-10x40 Mark 4 LR/T 30mm Riflescope
  • Matte
  • Tactical Milling Reticle
  • Side Focus
  • M1 Target Knobs
  • Free Leupold Flip-Open Lens Covers
SWFA: $999.95
More%20Info...

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aplaceinspace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/2008 at 18:12
You know, the more I talk to my shooting budies that do long range stuff the more that looks like the best idea. Buy the right thing the first time, right?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic