OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

30mm vs 1" tube

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mnhunter2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 30mm vs 1" tube
    Posted: July/10/2008 at 11:17
How much difference in light gathering or clarity between 30mm and 1" tubes in the high end market?
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/10/2008 at 11:20
not much, 30mm gives more adjustment range, but not much in light transmission. 

At least as I understand it.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/10/2008 at 11:21
There will be no appreciable difference. The larger tube is for ridgidity and also for allowing more internal adjustment.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/10/2008 at 11:43
mercenary1947 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/10/2008 at 13:20
                        ... Thunbs%20Up ...
One Shot One Kill .... *S.O.F * Head Shots Only
               SWFAM
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2008 at 19:45
but for one reason or another there are few 1" tubes in the high end market. in addition a 1" tube "dates" the unit.
crispycritter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispycritter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/2008 at 03:46
Come on guys, get with the times. 1" is old school. The cool people have the 30mm and only the coolest of the cool have a 34mm.Big%20GrinBig%20GrinBig%20Grin
Jon A View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/2008 at 04:50
If the coolest of the cool have 34mm, how cool are the 35mm owners?  Infinitely cool?  Nah, can't be because the 40mm owners are so much cooler than them.    ;)
mercenary1947 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/2008 at 09:40
 Man ... I guess I'm not COOL anymore .... how about you Cyborg and Chris .... ? My poor old antiquated 1" tube scopes can only hit dead on at a 3" target at most ranges ... they'll probably throw rocks at me when I go back to the range ... better take my flak jacket !
One Shot One Kill .... *S.O.F * Head Shots Only
               SWFAM
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/2008 at 11:31
I was cool, until the thieves got my sh*t. I had an IOR Tactical 35mm tube. It was sweet, now I'm currently down to only a few of my guns, that's all that has been recovered so far.
I keep hoping to get the rest returned but so far nothing. Maybe with the economy being what it is someone will try to pawn the expensive ones....Big%20Grin

Cyborg
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/2008 at 12:21
Originally posted by cyborg cyborg wrote:

I was cool, until the thieves got my sh*t. I had an IOR Tactical 35mm tube. It was sweet, now I'm currently down to only a few of my guns, that's all that has been recovered so far.
I keep hoping to get the rest returned but so far nothing. Maybe with the economy being what it is someone will try to pawn the expensive ones....Big%20Grin

I volunteer to assist with water boarding the thieves, if they are caught.
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/2008 at 12:28
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

Originally posted by cyborg cyborg wrote:

I volunteer to assist with water boarding the thieves, if they are caught.
no water boarding, thats cruel and unusual punishment, something like this and a whole bunch of time is much more humane Devil

They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/2008 at 12:36
Man, that is awesome. That was my first "gun". Does it still work?

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/2008 at 13:02
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

Man, that is awesome. That was my first "gun". Does it still work?

Mine still works. I just don't know if it's going to throw a curve ball or a change up. Never a fast ball, though. I won't even bother to break out the chrono. It won't even dent an aluminum can.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/2008 at 13:06
at close range on bare skin the red ryder will hurt, i wont say where we would be aiming but Nut%20Kicker gives you an idea
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/2008 at 23:07
This all happened some time back. There were a few that were a part of a ring, some were caught and with them I got some of my stuff back. But yeah the pellet gun to the private ryans would be very gratifying....... Especially if I can take about a week to do my getting even.

Cyborg
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/2008 at 23:46
It's 1940, in the northern Indiana town of Hohman. 9-year-old Ralph "Ralphie" Parker wants only one thing for Christmas -- an official Red Ryder carbine-action 200-shot range model BB rifle with a compass in the stock. Between his younger brother Randy and having to handle school bully Scut Farkus, Ralphie doesn't know how he'll ever survive long enough to get the BB gun for Christmas. When Ralph asks his mother for a Red Ryder BB gun for Christmas, she says, "No, you'll shoot your eye out". Bucky
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/14/2008 at 12:16
Originally posted by crispycritter crispycritter wrote:

Come on guys, get with the times. 1" is old school. The cool people have the 30mm and only the coolest of the cool have a 34mm.Big%20GrinBig%20GrinBig%20Grin

Also known as a Sewer Pipe.....!!   Bucky    HA!
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/14/2008 at 17:11
I spent many hours shooting minnows in the creek with a Red Ryder.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic