OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

kids and shooting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SChunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: kids and shooting
    Posted: July/08/2008 at 21:58
What are your thoughts on teaching children to shoot?
My seven year old son has been observing me shooting and loves it--we work alot on safety and the like.  However, the difficulty is rifle fit. We have been shooting a 22LR with open sites, but his favorite is a browning a-bolt 243 with a 3x9x40 nikon.  What's neat about this rifle is that the original owner ordered it with the boss system, but upon delivery didn't take it, so I got a great deal.  The problem?  My son is so small that we have sacrificed form over function--he shoots with his rear arm over the stock instead of behind.  The advantage--absolutely no recoil for him!  Should I do something different b/c I teaching bad form, or do I keep on going?
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/08/2008 at 22:12
I did the 22LR   thing, then a 22 mag , and up to a H&R 223 ...this rifle, with the youth stock was ideal, and I could have skipped the 22mag thing. Right size, accurate enough to reward the right technique,very inexpensive ,and  load one round at a time with a highly visible hammer to ensure safety -- worked perfectly. I like the using the correct size firearm..worked great, but that being said, it's a tough call , and as I am not there to watch just how well your youngster is doing.
SChunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SChunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/08/2008 at 22:17
The interesting thing with him is his accuracy--I intended to start him close and work back.  However, we don't overshoot and we don't shoot so much that he is tired.  The little guy must have great vision--we shot tonight at 100yds, the 3 shots he took were all vertically grouped within a 1/2 inch (of a vertical line connecting all three) and he put two of the three within the black of a 25 yd slow pistol target.  I am impressed, (and he shot better than the recent college grad shooting his graduation present), but I want to make sure the form follows.  all his form is fairly accurate (except the butt plate).

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/08/2008 at 22:33
maybe you might be able to find a micro hunter stock on an auction website or maybe an aftermarket  cheapie somewhere you could have cut down to fit a shorter length of pull for your Browning

Edited by martin3175 - July/10/2008 at 08:09
SChunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SChunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/08/2008 at 22:52
That's a good idea--unfortunately I am growing fond of shooting it as well!
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/09/2008 at 18:41
Here is what I see.  Kids love guns.  I was shooting my uncles High Standard pistol before I was carrying a rifle. 

More people need to let thier kids grow into guns.  You let him shoot dads gun, No Problem, that's dads gun. It is a reward for him shooting something smaller well. It lets him have a goal for good behavior. 

Now let him his body get larger and his ethics mature.  Get him a gun in a year or two that he can keep and shoot for his life time. 
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

mercenary1947 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/10/2008 at 19:48
 It's a great idea .... just make sure he knows not to use any when dad's not there . Even firearms his friends may have he has availability to . I was weened on firearms .... good luck and I hope you 2 have a great time together ... he'll never forget who taught him .... I did'nt .
One Shot One Kill .... *S.O.F * Head Shots Only
               SWFAM
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/10/2008 at 20:06
You could add this to the rifle and cut it down to fit the lad. Fit will only help make his shooting more enjoyable.
Ram Line Stocks
Browning A-Bolt LA. Not for Magnum calibers, Made in Black Only
$89.95
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/10/2008 at 20:30
I think your correct in teaching him the safety factors first,  form and function will follow as he gets older.  I'm sure at this point that he doesn't care whether the rifle fits him or not, I assume whats important to him, is that he spending time with dad and getting a little trigger time.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2008 at 00:23
Teach them early and properly. Starting with MUZZLE CONTROL. If they can grasp that, you won't have any issues as long as they are supervised. Children are naturals at doing things and normally grasp lessons rapidly. One thing is certain, children brought up around guns with responsible parents are very rarely a problem. The last thing any of us wants is that a child with no experience with guns grows up and gets their hands on one.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
mbielec View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbielec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2009 at 14:21
We should ALL bring our kids shooting once they show intrest! How are we going to grow our sport if we dont! 
SHOOT SAFE,SHOOT OFTEN, AND BRING A FRIEND
hdsofttailrider View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hdsofttailrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2009 at 16:15
Started my son at 6 with a single shot .22/20 ga youth combo Rossi. Moved to a NEF youth in 7-08 at 8 for deer. Pacakage deal at academy pulled the junkie BSA scope bases off.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2009 at 18:31
As a FYI --the advanced tech collapsible stocks for the H&R handirifles work great for a growing youngster .. I installed the pictured stock ( with a recoil ATI pad ) on a 30-30 handirifle, as as my son grew -so did it. He is up to a full size rifle now, and this one will be passed along to my 10 yr old as his  first deer capable rifle. Worked just fine , and he thought it made the rifle "look cool"
Longhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2009 at 20:04
My grandfather taught me how to shoot when I was barely old enough to hold a small .22 rifle.  He nailed a pocket matchbox on a fence post, and told me to hit it.  I did.  He took me on a rabbit hunt, and several fishing trips while I was still a very young boy.
These are among the never-to-be-forgotten highlights of my life.

This started a lifelong love of shooting and hunting that I have shared with my own (now grown) children.  I will never forget my grandfather, or the love of the outdoors he taught me.

By all means, teach your children to shoot.   Skill-at-arms should be part of any young man's education.  Young ladies need to understand the realities of self-defense. 

Many of the tragedies the news media love to share with us would have had a different ending if intended victim had had a gun, with the training and the will to use it.
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2009 at 21:14
Besides my own three kids I have introduced all of my nephews,and one daughters boyfriend to shooting,and or hunting...this was just as much fun as one can have...and the memories come back as when you were being taught as a kid .what's better than that?...I will tell you that too....give them the gift of a firearm...be it new or used!
trigger29 View Drop Down
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2009 at 21:25
I am also a firm believer that all schools should be required to have a gun safety course. This would educate kids on the proper uses of guns, and teach them safe handling techniques. This used to be a requirement in our school. It's gone away now.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Monster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2009 at 21:31
As a person who was not into the shooting sports and introduced to the sport by someone else, I plan on sharing the sport and hunting with my kids or anyone who is interested in the sport 
"Get Busy Livin' or get busy dyin'" -Red (Shawshank Redemption)
SChunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SChunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2009 at 11:18
I went with my son on youth hunting day here (this past weekend) in SC and he harvested his first deer--a doe!  He made a perfect shot--the practice worked out.  The same 243 we spoke of earlier.  But he has grown enough that his arm reaches around the stock for proper form.  To say he is hooked on hunting is an understatementYippee!
SChunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SChunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2009 at 11:19
He was just as excited about being in the woods as he was with the harvest.
SChunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SChunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2009 at 11:20
When I get the pictures downloaded, I will upload!  They pass the respect test!!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic