OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Burris Tactical Scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hawkenman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Burris Tactical Scope
    Posted: July/06/2008 at 21:21
I am thinking about buying a Burris 4.5-14 42mm scope with the ballistic plex reticle in olive green finish. Has anyone tried one of these?
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/07/2008 at 02:22
No, but if you are going to use the scope tactically for Law Enforcement or Military that is not the right scope for you. If you are going to use it for target practice, hunting, etc it might be a great choice.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/07/2008 at 10:23
I agree with U-friend, limitations on these scopes take them out of the genuine "tactical" market, but they do look kinda cool and have some features that work well for bench rifles.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
army_eod View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote army_eod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/07/2008 at 18:16
I am not a tactical shooter by profession, but figure I would be OK for SHTF.  I have the 3-12 version.  I have not taken it to the range yet.
As soon as I do, I will report on the scope.

I also have a Leupy Mark 2 that I have not taken to the range yet either.  I am sure that scope is not good enough for a serious tactical shooter either.

Funny, the author of "Ultimate Sniper" lists the Burris XTR as a decent tactical scope.
Princes and governments are far more dangerous than other elements within society.

Niccolo Machiavelli
LSO1117 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LSO1117 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/08/2008 at 10:58
The author of "ultimate sniper" lists numerous things that I do not agree with.
"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
Theodore Roosevelt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/08/2008 at 11:46
So those are the books and videos people are getting to teach them to snipe!

I'm no huge fan of technical military information int he hands of anyone with $25.00, but I guess that First Amendment get its way. having not read or seen them, I can't say how technical (or accurate) it is.

I should clarify my remarks by saying I, personally, would not carry a Burris tactical into combat - nor do I know anyone who has.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/08/2008 at 17:52
I've done some reading up on "Ultimate Sniper" and major Plaster - and though he was SF and served our country well, I can't find that he ever received formal sniper training or held a sniper billet.  As such, he is something of an academic in an area where many are operators.

I've spent a fair amount of time around women, but that damn sure doesn't make me an expert on being a woman.

Plaster seems to have been a good and respected soldier, but he was never a sniper, so his books are limited to the experiences of others and the training manuals to which he had access.

Others have said his book was initially little more than a re-print of the FMFM1-3B; as I own the latter and not the prior, I'll trust those who have read both and save my $$ for something more worthy.

Nothing against the man, but if he hasn't walked that particular walk, he can't well talk that particular talk.
army_eod View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote army_eod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/08/2008 at 18:03
Either way I learn from the book.  I am not a sniper and don't play one on TV.  I didn't even stay at a Holiday Inn Express lately.

But I am researching whether any real snipers have used or are using the Burris in their profession.

So far I think I found a GA police outfit using them.  More later.
Princes and governments are far more dangerous than other elements within society.

Niccolo Machiavelli

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/08/2008 at 20:32
See what you can find.  Look for an NSN for the scope, that would mean they have at least one government contract.

As I said, I've never owned or used one.  I saw one at the range and thought it was OK, but didn't think it was "tactical" as much as "tacticool."  It might be great, and I might be missing out.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/09/2008 at 12:20
It has been (correctly) pointed out to me that my summary wasn't thorough. 

An NSN simply means an item is on the National Supply Catalog - meaning it can be purchased via a supply account from any government agency; however, an NSN does not mean the item is under government contract.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic