OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Rebarrel question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rebarrel question
    Posted: July/06/2008 at 10:04
Alas my go to rifle has slipped past the realm of acceptable group accuracy. And even though I will soon enjoy the feel of a custom rifle who's abilities surpass my own. I can not set the old Browning in the slot of good memories. Hence my question to the collective. I want to rebarrel this Browning bar and my search has yelded disappointing results. Has anyone persued such an endevor or maybe knows someone who has. My search is for one of the better builders to handle this and preferrably one who is not new to it. I have
e-mailed a few builders about the barrel and only one has responded. So now I know I can atleast get the barrel, but that builder said he didn't feel that his smith was up to the assembly. I plan to build the new barrel a little heavier and 2" longer. I have confirmed thru four different sources that this will not require any change in gas port size. There is a smith in my area that may be willing to put it together but I hope to have atleast two gunsmith options if for no other reason than for cost comparison. So what cha think?

Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2008 at 10:23
   Don't depend on e-mail correspondence! Been there and done that when trying to contact someone to do a rebore for me.  No e-mail responses,one phone call and bingo rifle was on it's way.  Honestly didn't think of this til now but if your barrel is truly shot out maybe check into a rebore and step up in caliber.  Something to consider?  You could have the first "Squeezer Special Semi-auto Carbine"!

til later

Edited by 300S&W - July/06/2008 at 10:27
Mojo View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman
All Mojo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2008 at 10:36
How about a .338 "Squeezer Special" Elk timber hunter for the Sarge.  Let's LOSE weight, not add to it.

mojo
MOJO
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2008 at 10:40
   NOW WE"RE TALKING(typing)!!  Hey Sarge,what caliber is your BAR?

til later
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2008 at 12:45
Sgt D, how do you know the problem is due to the barrel being "shot out?"  Do you shoot this rifle a lot?  Most hunting rifles in big game calibers aren't shot enough in 2 lifetimes to shoot out the barrel.  What is it chambered in?  Are you sure it isn't just badly copper fouled?  You might fix your problem by thoroughly cleaning the bore with an aggressive copper solvent like Sweets and making sure the gas system is really clean and see if that doesn't fix your problem. 
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2008 at 13:43
Originally posted by 300S&W 300S&W wrote:

Something to consider?  You could have the first "Squeezer Special Semi-auto Carbine"!

til later

I thought it but wouldn't say it out loud. Figured if that starded the thread would never stay on track. But it was going there sooner or later. No harm no foul. My rifle need is 99.9% distance shooting. Not necessarily long distance, generally under 500yds. But I don't need a brush gun because 98% of the time I have either my pistol or bow for shots under 80yds. If they won't close the cap for a shot I usually will stalk into range. Thanks for the bore option but as for now I'm setteled to keep it ...............................................................................................................................................270 Shocked
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2008 at 13:49
Originally posted by Mojo Mojo wrote:

How about a .338 "Squeezer Special" Elk timber hunter for the Sarge.  Let's LOSE weight, not add to it.

mojo
.........................Big%20GrinBig%20GrinBig%20GrinBig%20GrinBig%20Grin......................Stiring%20The%20Pot..............Naughty
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2008 at 13:53
Originally posted by Sgt. D Sgt. D wrote:

Something to consider?  You could have the first "Squeezer Special Semi-auto Carbine"!

til later

I thought it but wouldn't say it out loud. Figured if that starded the thread would never stay on track. But it was going there sooner or later. No harm no foul. My rifle need is 99.9% distance shooting. Not necessarily long distance, generally under 500yds. But I don't need a brush gun because 98% of the time I have either my pistol or bow for shots under 80yds. If they won't close the cap for a shot I usually will stalk into range. Thanks for the bore option but as for now I'm setteled to keep it ...............................................................................................................................................270 Shocked
...A 270?.....SargeYikesTank Here comes (anti 270) PRYO
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2008 at 14:09

I kinda hinted at it in my first post but are you sure this bbl is shot out!  +10 w/RifleDude.  Nothing wrong with a .270.  Just like the old saying goes "Mom,apple pie,baseball,and the .270".  Almost finished restoring a Mod 70 Featherweight Classic w/factory McMillan stock in .270. Just need a bolt.

til later
Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2008 at 14:10
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Sgt D, how do you know the problem is due to the barrel being "shot out?"  Do you shoot this rifle a lot?  Most hunting rifles in big game calibers aren't shot enough in 2 lifetimes to shoot out the barrel.  What is it chambered in?  Are you sure it isn't just badly copper fouled?  You might fix your problem by thoroughly cleaning the bore with an aggressive copper solvent like Sweets and making sure the gas system is really clean and see if that doesn't fix your problem. 

This rifle has seen a hard life since I got it. It has shot exceptionally well for many years but it has also been the rifle that has endured my learning curve of care, cleaning, reloading and just alot of shooting over all. I suspect there is throat erosion, I can see some pitting and I'm sure I've done some rod damage in the past cleaning sessions where I thought I was doing good, but instead was scaring the heck out of it. Plus the crown looks kinda poor also. And to fess up the rifle is still grouping well enough for hunting, just not to the standard that I'm satisfied with.
It is a grade II bar 270 and I expect it will be my daughters choice when she hunts with me this season. She has caught the accuracy bug from me and is pushing me alittle to get it done. She is a ham at the range and if she can't shoot groups as good or better than the guys she is not easily comforted. Just as we wouldn't be.
Oh! you mentioned copper fouling, last year I spent 3 days doing a by the book de-fouling and then a break-in shooting session and it did help. But I think it has setteled in to as good as it's going to be. Thanks for the suggestions. Thunbs%20Up

Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2008 at 14:17
Originally posted by Big Squeeze Big Squeeze wrote:

...A 270?.....SargeYikesTank Here comes (anti 270) PRYO[/QUOTE]

Hiding I know! It's just a matter of time. Hiding CIRCLE THE WAGONS!!!! CALL IN THE TROOPS!!!

DIG A HOLE!!!!         CLIMB A TREE!!!          JUMP AND RUN!!!!!     PANIC!! PANIC!! PANIC!! PANIC!! PANIC!! PANIC!! PANIC!! PANIC!! PANIC!! PANIC!! PANIC!! PANIC!! PANIC!! PANIC!!

300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2008 at 14:44
 OK Sarge,I know where you coming from now.  In all honesty use the phone to make your contacts! I sent e-mails and hand typed letters out. It's been two months since I shipped my rifle out and I still haven't received replies from the others,not that it has any reflection on their work at all.  Finally took someones sage advice to use the phone . GOOD LUCK!

til later
Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2008 at 14:55

OK Sarge,I know where you coming from now.  In all honesty use the phone to make your contacts! I sent e-mails and hand typed letters out. It's been two months since I shipped my rifle out and I still haven't received replies from the others,not that it has any reflection on their work at all.  Finally took someones sage advice to use the phone . GOOD LUCK!

til later

Thanks! I have my list of #'s and hope to be able to make some calls this week. Been called out of town for the week but anyone who has had hands own something like this please speak up. I will check your replies end of the week. Thanks again.
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2008 at 15:24
I would try GA Precision in North Kansas City they do excellent work and they are shooters and gunsmiths  web site http://www.gaprecision.net/
 I would call and talk with them , you may have to call more than once to get through but it will be worth it.

Duce   Big%20Grin
Duce
Mojo View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman
All Mojo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2008 at 16:26
Jack O' would be proud of you SgtD!  Go ahead and keep that .270.  Don't worry about rantings from pyro.

Mojo
MOJO
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic