OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Browning T-Bolt (new version)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Browning T-Bolt (new version)
    Posted: July/05/2008 at 14:49
Does anyone here either own or have any trigger time behind the new Browning T-Bolt rimfire rifle?  My dad has one of the original T-Bolts from the 1960's (one without the infamous salt stocks that caused the action to corrode), and I've always admired the simplicity and ingenious straight pull action on that rifle.  It also shoots very well! 

Anyway, I like the new version of this rifle, at least on the surface.  The fit and finish on the couple of samples I've handled in stores seemed to be excellent, and the overall rifle looked to be very well executed.  I also like the trim stock proportions overall, it has a slim, sexy appeal to me. 

I haven't heard any comments from owners/users, so I was wondering if there are any issues with it and whether or not they shoot well.  If they are good to go mechanically, I'll probably be considering one to add to my collection.  So, lets hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!  Any and all comments about this rifle is appreciated!

Edited by RifleDude - July/05/2008 at 14:55
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2008 at 12:38
Nobody's shot one or even know someone who has one?

I really don't care for the plastic Pukertrigger guard and the gold colored trigger.  I hate the widespread use of plastics in high-end gear, especially on guns.  I think plastic has no place on a fine firearm, period.  I also don't understand Browning's obsession with fake gold triggers.  Like a gold tooth, I think it looks gaudy and detracts from the appearance of the rest of the gun.  However, otherwise, the rest of the rifle looks very nicely executed.  I especially love the trim forend and the wrap-around forend checkering with diamond pattern relief underneath.  Just like the original, the action is oh so sweet!

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2008 at 16:47
WOW, that is a nice rimfire.
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2008 at 19:47
Keep in mind that's a pic off the Browning website, Mark.  I don't have one... yet. 

This rifle is very light, much like the old classic Browning Semi-Auto .22 (with the bottom ejection).  Actually, I think the T-Bolt weighs less than even the Semi-Auto .22 does!  It is a sleek, svelte little rifle, and it points well and feels good.

I've always loved well-made rimfires, and I've had a thing for Browning rimfires ever since I started shooting the original T-Bolt as a kid.  Part of the reason I'm interested in the new T-Bolt, besides the tricky little straight pull bolt action, is the nostalgia.  I'm somewhat afraid of buying an original T-Bolt sight unseen because so many of them had salt-cured stocks during that era, which means some of these rifles are pitted and rusted badly underneath the stock inletting.
Ted

Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/07/2008 at 16:23
I never had an old T-bolt, but I saw a few of them years ago in gun stores.  My ex-wife and I had a little Browning Auto 22  ( that was the gun I used shoot the dreaded trade rat with Bucky) however, and that was extra nice--except it used to kick out the Gosh-dang HOT empty casings on your wrist and sometimes they would get down your coat sleeve!!!!   Yumpin' Yiminy, Olaf!!!  Yikes    

Anyway, that T-bolt looks nice---but I could never learn to just yank back on those things!! I always wanted to RAISE it up!!!  
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/07/2008 at 17:36
I have a real soft spot for straight pulls. My uncle had one of the old Browning T-bolts (salt free) and he was deadly with it. I asked my dad if I could get it when my uncle passed away, and he told me a cousin already had it; Cencored.
Hope you get an answer. I might have to look at one too. 
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/09/2008 at 22:00
examined one in a local gun store awhile back and posted the same question, anyway I was impressed with the over all quality. was hoping for feedback also, thinking about the heavy barrel model. the straight pull would be a decided advantage in off hand silhoutte shooting.
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2008 at 13:25
Thanks for the info regarding the older version and the salt thing!  I've always wanted one and the new version does look sweet.  I too have an affliction for Browning rimfires.... I have a sweet little Belgium Semi-auto and a BLR in grade II.  They both are accurate and a hoot to shoot!  Would love to add a bolt action, a BAR auto as well as the T-bolt.
take em!
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2008 at 18:15
Well, in a moment of weakness, I ended up providing a good, caring home for one last week.  I mounted the little Trijicon 1.25-4X24 variable on it and I put about 100 rounds through it this weekend.  So far, it seems to shoot quite well with the cheap silver box Winchester Super X and CCI Green Tag ammo I had on hand!  I'll post pics of the rifle and targets if anyone is interested.
Ted

Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2008 at 11:11
Interested!
take em!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic