OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Ruger Quality.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Average Joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ruger Quality.
    Posted: July/04/2008 at 11:04
Well i got a new Ruger mini 30, 762x39mm in ss.

First thing i notice is the locking pin on the front sight has a sharp point sticking out waiting the rip a hole in your hand, not good a start .
I load a round ,aim,fire........and get a click,not a boom.
The fireing pin is not hitting the primer at all,it looks like a broken firing pin and it came from the factory this way!!!.When i look at the primer i see a very light mark but you have to look hard to see it.
Ruger quality so far is very very poor and my confidence is the rifle and ruger are low.
A New gun and im thinking of getting rid before ive shot it!!

Anyone else have problems with ruger?

I'm classic shag nasty type.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2008 at 11:07
ruger just retooled the mini lineup, and they were supposed to tighten up the tolerences and also improve accuracy, you may not have a new one, i would send it back to them and they will fix it
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2008 at 11:10
I've never had reliability or QC problems, just accuracy issues. That is a real bummer to hear about your gun. I would send it to Ruger. They do stand behind their products.
I still have a Redhawk, two 10/22's, M77 and a #1. I am happy with all three.

Good luck,
Doug

Edited by tahqua - July/04/2008 at 11:33
Average Joe View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Average Joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2008 at 11:11
It was a factory order , direct from ruger...............so far they have failed with quality, can't say about accuracy it won't fire..........lol
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2008 at 11:36
Originally posted by Average Joe Average Joe wrote:

It was a factory order , direct from ruger...............so far they have failed with quality, can't say about accuracy it won't fire..........lol
......Before you ship it to Ruger, stop by a local gunsmith and have him take a quick look see. Could be something simple. Won`t cost anything,,,,,,,,,, BESIDES GAS!Camaro............................ I know why I stick with bolt actions! 
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Average Joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2008 at 11:42

Oh im not paying to ship it back to ruger, the gunshop will take care of that.

I'm just not pleased that a new gun won't work, it knocks your confidence in the rifle.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2008 at 11:43
Originally posted by Big Squeeze Big Squeeze wrote:

......Before you ship it to Ruger, stop by a local gunsmith and have him take a quick look see. Could be something simple. Won`t cost anything,,,,,,,,,, BESIDES GAS!Camaro............................ I know why I stick with bolt actions! 

Good point, that could save some time and money.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2008 at 11:44
i dont know if ruger does what remington does, but they may have some smiths out there that are factory certified to fix ruger firearms under warranty at no cost to you, you should call them and check on it.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Mojo View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman
All Mojo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2008 at 12:32
BTW, bolt actions do not guarantee firing pin problems.  I had that with my Browning A-Bolt.
The gunsmith would not mess with it, and we shipped back to Browning. 

They will never tell you what the problem was, they will just fix the problem.  My problem was either the firing pin, or the firing pin spring.  Got a feeling that the pin was too short, but no proof of that.  Have not had any problems since.  It did cost me a nice Mulie out in Colorado.  That sickening feel when you get a click but no Boom.

I was going nuts, thinking that it was a primer problem, or primer seating problem with my handloads.

Mojo
MOJO
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2008 at 13:48
Pull the bolt and spray it with carb cleaner.    If you have "gunk" from the factory in the fireing pin hole that should help.  Use something as a punch and see if you can move the fireing pin.  If you are getting movement, but not a lot of depth, try pulling the fireing pin and see if it has more "gunk" like a burr stuck in the hole.

Check to make sure that the bolt is closing all the way.  Let it slam home and nudge the bolt handle to make sure it is seated. Clean the lock up area of the frame. Then inspect the crap out of that area.  Finally make sure you are using american ammo.
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Mojo View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman
All Mojo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2008 at 15:22
For my problem, I used carb cleaner. No help  My primers were dented, but not they way they should be.  I'd get a misfire about every third or fourth shot.  Got it fixed now, anyway.

mojo
MOJO
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Average Joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2008 at 10:03
I fixed it!!!
the extractor wasnt engaging 100% due to a small burr and being dry of lube,so after stripping it all down,filling a little bit and adding lube it works good now.
Mojo View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman
All Mojo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2008 at 10:31

mojo
MOJO
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2008 at 11:24

I fixed it!!!
the extractor wasnt engaging 100% due to a small burr and being dry of lube,so after stripping it all down,filling a little bit and adding lube it works good now.
so i hope you feel better about the rifle, every now and then factory rifles have quirks.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
martin3175 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/07/2008 at 13:41
I had the previous model Mini-30,and it literally always fired regardless of whatever nasty weather I was in . What it wouldn't do was shoot a decent group. It was more like a pattern. I tried every brand out there, and settled on Fed'l 123 gr hi shok stuff.,and with it managed about 3-4" at 100yd.s ... Serviceable, but not anywhere near where I hoped it could be. I understand the re-design shoots better. Let us know how she groups....
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic