OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Shepherd All Arounder scope info?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jswalt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shepherd All Arounder scope info?
    Posted: July/03/2008 at 12:59

I have heard about a Shepherd Scope that has several different reticles choices included in the same scope, as opposed to buying a different Shepherd scope for different calibers and circle sizes.  I was told it was called a "All Arounder" model.  Does anyone have any information on these scopes, as I was unsuccessful in locating anything on the Internet about them?  Any information would be appreciated, especially information on if they are considered collectable and any ideas on the value of these scopes.  Thanks.

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2008 at 13:50
Interesting that you could not find info on the internet. It is fairly easy.
However, one of my gunsmiths owned several. They are not really an "all around-er" type scope, which is why he owned more than one. He tried and tried to sell me one, but I could just never justify the overall optical quality for the price. It IS easy to zero and was right on for shots out to 500yds, as far as I have ever shot one. Reviews I have seen on them have been mixed. The one I actually used was on a custom 30-06 built by the gunsmith. It did not perform as well as I thought it should in low light, was a little "fuzzy" at long range. Not a bad scope and its "tricks" were good. Busy reticle...confuses some people. Just not something I wanted to spend that much money on at the time. Around $800-$900, if I remember correctly. You can get better glass for the same price. At a different place and time, I MIGHT own one. But I am lazy and like scopes that do all the work for me. However, remembering more now, it did not seem to group very well.
Would not be my first or second choice.
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
jswalt View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jswalt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2008 at 15:59
I can find plenty of info about the Shepherd...just nothing on the specific "all arounder" model.  They haven't made them for about 20 years I don't think, and may not have made very many of them back then even.  This model has four different reticles inside the scope...a P1, P2, P3, and then another one...and you select which set of circles you want to use by turning a knob.  It made it so that you could use the same Shepherd scope on most all of the different calibers, whereas now you have to buy a specific scope to match a range of calibers and then a different scope for another range of calibers.  I'm hoping someone out there can confirm what little I think I know about them and maybe educate me further about this particular model of Shepherd scopes.  Thanks for your post.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2008 at 17:08
I have not seen the particular model you are talking about and really have not heard of it. All the ones I have ever seen have pretty much been limited. I will do some checking, but am not hopeful on finding anything.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/10/2008 at 17:49
I have not been able to locate anything on the particular scope you were asking on, but lots of support that the optical quality is mediocre and it appears there have been a lot of problems and poor customer service. Glad I did not get one.

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/10/2008 at 19:28
I know more than most about Shepherd, having worked with a group that considered buying the company.

Though the venture didn't happen, I can honestly say we walked away due to real issues.

Avoid Shepherd.  There are much, MUCH better scopes for the price.  They have a gimmick, it ain't a bad gimmick, but it is overpriced.  The glass is "not terrible" at best.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
greenejc View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenejc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2012 at 07:20
The All-Arounder hasn't been made for about 20 years.  I almost bought one on Ebay, though, even though Shepherd can't repair them anymore.  (the parts maker went out of business about 20years ago.) They had a series of lenses in them which would allow changing the front reticle from a P1 to a P2 to a P3  or a PE (Same as a P1 except with 24" elk reticles.  You just turned a special turret knob.  It was a neat scope, and the people that bought them almost never let them go.  Also, 3X9 if I remember correctly.  Very versitle.  But Shepherd said they  can't repair them anymore, because they can't get parts, unlike my Shootist (About the same age but parts are still available). 
35 Whelen forever
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic