OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Varmint Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

scope for ar-15

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amanda522 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: scope for ar-15
    Posted: July/03/2008 at 10:46
I am looking to get my husband a better scope then he has now on his ar-15. He shoots prairie dogs and im not sure what scope would be good thats of decent price. I found a good site with excellent prices but still dont know what exacally i am looking for and what all i might have to get with a scope, so if someone could help me out that would be great.
Thanks
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2008 at 10:57
Welcome to the OT,
How much do you want to spend and what is the max distances he will be shooting?  Does his AR have a carry handle or a flat top with a rail on it?  Know that will help us get you the correct mounts for the scope.
Amanda522 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amanda522 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2008 at 11:13
The max distance he will be shooting is 500 yds. and his gun has a carry handle on top. Hope that helps......price, well not real sure, ive been going to this site called buymilsurp.com and they have pretty good prices. I dont have much time to do this his birthday is the 16th of this month.
Thanks
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2008 at 11:19
Scopes can go anywhere from $50 to $3000 and beyond.  So we really need a price range so we can recommend the best scope you can get for your budget/purpose.  Otherwise, recommendations may be all over the board. 
Amanda522 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amanda522 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2008 at 11:21
i would say at the most 250, the one he has now was only 50, so as long as its better then that one hell be happy. Ive also been looking at competitor.com
Amanda522 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amanda522 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2008 at 11:34
sorry not competitor.com(dont know why it put that there) but competitor.com.....if you see anything on those 2 sites that are good will you let me know  please,thanks
Amanda
Amanda522 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amanda522 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2008 at 11:36
OMG...LOL....lets try this again and see if it just puts in its own damn site......competitor.net
HuntMaster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2008 at 11:42
This sight will not allow you to post a competitors name. As far as prices and service, you can't beat www.riflescopes.com , which sponsors this forum.
Derek 
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2008 at 11:44
This site is owned by SWFA.com so it is set to not let you put other names on this forum.  That being said, SWFA has a 110% price guarantee so what ever scope you choose you will be able to get a better price from them.  You cannot beat their service either, they are great people to deal with. 
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2008 at 11:50
Here are some good scope in your price range.  While they are not the optimal long range scopes for your price range they are the best you will be able to get. 
http://www.swfa.com/pc-7280-185-bushnell-3-9x40-elite-4200-rifle-scope.aspx
http://www.swfa.com/pc-9244-2119-nikon-3-9x40-team-primos-riflescope.aspx
http://www.swfa.com/pc-2176-200-bushnell-5-15x40-legend-rifle-scope.aspx
One of these Millets might not be to bad, but I don't know anything about them personally.  So I don't know exactly what to recommend.  http://www.swfa.com/c-1526-millett-buck-gold-riflescopes.aspx
Amanda522 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amanda522 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2008 at 11:58
and how exacally do you know what the max yds is with those scopes?
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2008 at 12:05
Well you don't really.  In order to dial in distances you need a whole other type of scope that I did not list.  They have exposed turrets that let you dial in the amount of distance you need with the particular bullet you are using.  And then allow you to return them back to the point that you had it set at when you zeroed the gun. 

Those kinds of scopes are going to cost a bunch more to get a good one and with your price range I just put in some scope with nice glass and that are reliable.  None of them are really long range type scopes.  They are just a basic hunting type scope.  But if he is using a $50 scope currently, any of those listed will be a huge improvement over what he has.
Amanda522 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amanda522 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2008 at 12:24
how about these scopes, will they work with his gun and are they any good for the shooting that he does?

Leapers 5th Gen 6-24x50 Full Size A.O. Range Estimating Mil-Dot Red/Green Illuminated Zero Locking/Resetting Scope SCP-6245AOMDLTS

Barska 1x30 IR M16 Electro Sight AC10984

Swift Premier Waterproof 3-9x40 Riflescopes

will any rifle scope work with his gun, or are there only certain ones?  oh, i wish i knew how all this worked.....sorry for all the questions guys

Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2008 at 12:33
Stay away from Barska.  Leapers I have never heard anything good or bad about either way, maybe someone else knows something about them.  And the Bushnell 4200 or the Nikon team primos are much scopes than the Swift you listed.

Pretty much any scope will work.  That particular rifle he has is not really designed to be used with an scope.   If the carry handle could come off so he could mount the scope low where they need to be it would be much better.  But they do make mounts for the carry handles and people get by with them.  They are just not optimal for good accuracy and consistency. 
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2008 at 12:41
Amanda, try this:

http://www.swfa.com/c-1507-mueller-tactical-riflescopes.aspx

I have not used the Mueller, but several members of this forum think highly of them, it is in your price range, and the mil-dot reticle will allow rangefinding and bullet drop compensation far out beyond your 500yd range. There are others, but this scope has had some good praise. The .223 will not stress it.

Good luck on a good birthday gift. My wife will not even try to find me a scope...perhaps more my character than hers, but if your husband is truly using a $50.00 scope right now, I believe he will be very happy with this on. Forget the Leapers and the Barska.   The Swift is a good scope, but I really believe, based upon others comments, he would like the Mueller better.
Good luck.   Welcome.

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Amanda522 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amanda522 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2008 at 12:55
thanks a bunch for that info. If i was to get him that scope do you know if i would have to buy mounts and if i do where i can get them(and make sure i get the right ones?) thanks a bunch again, I think hell really like it.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2008 at 13:22
I believe below will fit your needs:

http://www.swfa.com/c-480-b-square-modern-military-mounts.aspx , the 18526 model.

I have not used an AR-type rifle in a while and there are a number of options I am not familiar with. You might wait and let some other members comment. There are some "black rifle" people who can probably provide more advice.

The info provided would make a nice birthday present, I think.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2008 at 13:24
If he has a scope on the rifle already then chances are it is a 1 inch scope and he already has the mounts he needs to mount the new scope.  
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2008 at 13:24
I believe below will fit your needs:

http://www.swfa.com/c-480-b-square-modern-military-mounts.aspx , the 18526 model.

I have not used an AR-type rifle in a while and there are a number of options I am not familiar with. You might wait and let some other members comment. There are some "black rifle" people who can probably provide more advice.

The info provided would make a nice birthday present, I think.

Amanda522 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amanda522 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2008 at 14:12
Thanks for everything guys, i have ordered a scope and he said he would need new mounts so i ordered those too, thanks for all the help, men are difficult to get good gifts for but im sure hell love it, thanks again
Amanda
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic