OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Confused (nothing new!)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allsack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Confused (nothing new!)
    Posted: July/02/2008 at 19:29
Heres my story:

Bought a new Weatherby UL 270 WM. Decided to put a Khales 3-10 with multi-zero on it (I'm at work can't remember the model # but it is 1" tube not the kx,, paid 1k for it)). I sent the gun back to Weatherby for warranty work, and they said my scope would not hold zero.

I took the scope off and threw it on my AR-15, and at 100 with regular ol 55gr factory loads off of a harris bi-pod it shot 3/4-1 1/4  5 shot groups (normal for this gun). I moved the zero all over the place and it returned back to zero when dialed there.

SOOOO   do I send the scope back to Austria or consider it good?   

Thnx for any advice,,,,hunting season is right at 3 months away and I do not want it lost in transt or just gone too long.

O some may ask how did it shoot on the Weatherby? Well it was just so-so. As soon as that whispy barrel heated a touch groups widened. When cold it seemed to shoot ok--1 1/2-2" groups.    Part of the reason for the return to Weaterby was groups. They sent the gun back with a test target (Weatherby optics) .9" and 1.2" 3 shots.

Thnx Craig

Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2008 at 19:35
Well, first off, welcome to the OT.  Your problem is not with the scope or rifle.  The Wby. when it heats up, which is fast will not hold zero.  You really have to take time to zero it in.  Do not force the issue.  Bring a couple other rifles out to shoot while the barrel is cooling down.  Do not force the issue and shoot when the barrel is hot and get a flyer and try to judge what is going on by that shot.  Sighting in my newest Wby., a Vanguard in a 257 Wby., it took 2 hours to take 7 shots and I am still not finished.  Of course it was probably 98 degrees outside. 

silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2008 at 19:40
YA got another scope you can try on the Weatherby?  Call Kahles customer service and ask for some trouble shooting help.

Let me ammend this: Listen to DR. Weatherby he has enought of them to know. 

I doubt that it is the scope.  Even more so after you put it on a differant rifle.  So that leaves the mounts and the rifle.  What ring set up do you have?

I'd still call Kahles as ask for trouble shooting tips.

Edited by silver - July/02/2008 at 19:49
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Allsack View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allsack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2008 at 19:55
Thanks Mr. Overton I will do that. And Silver thnx for your tips....umm showing my ignorance---who is Dr. Weatherby?

Talley rings and bases.

Craig
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2008 at 20:36
Also, make sure all your mount screws were tightened down properly on the WBY ...swopping out optics is also a great idea ..
rkingston View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rkingston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2008 at 06:58
Check the barrel on it. Don't know about the new ones but my old Weatherby Vanguard had a factory installed pressure point at the front of the stock. As soon as the barrel would heat up, it was all over the place. I free floated it, resealed the barrel channel, and it made a huge difference in group sizes. Some will say that the pressure point needs to remain in place and on some rifles this may be true. That was not the case with mine. Check it out. I definitely wouldn't blame the scope based on your findings.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2008 at 09:17
It is common to get increased group size and erratic POI shifts with light contour barrels when they get hot, regardless of rifle brand.  This is especially true with large cased magnums.  As Dolphin said, take your time and allow the barrel to cool when shooting groups and I'll bet you'll see an improvement.  Sporting rifles with light contour barrels are meant for big game hunting, not target shooting.  If you tested the scope on another rifle and adjustments tracked and repeated properly, the problem isn't with the scope.  You might also check your mounts to make sure they aren't loose.  Lightening up the trigger pull may be the answer as well.  Your rifle can be technically accurate, but if your trigger is too heavy, it can disrupt the POI when executing the shot, depending on your shooting form. 
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2008 at 09:20
It doesn't sound like the scope to me. I agree there is some issue with barrel heating and causing the POI shift. I'd also check to verify the mounts sre tight..
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
medic52 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medic52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2008 at 11:32
Dolphin and Rifledude hit the nail on the head IMHO. I agree that the issue is NOT the scope.
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic