OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Hawke rifle scopes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hawke rifle scopes
    Posted: July/01/2008 at 16:04
After thoroughly researching the Hawke rifle scopes, I purchased a Frontier 2.5x10 44 mm mil dot made in Japan.  It is a British company with a very unique reticle system that is tuned to your rifle.  I have not looked at the Rapid Z system of the Zeiss scopes, but I will bet they got their idea from Hawke.  You can use the published data for your ammo or better yet chronoed results and punch in other variables, including ED if you wish to calculate it and it will diagram and with a picture of your particular reticle, mil dot, SR6, etc, it will place the exact point of impact for each dot or line.  They provide a lengthy list of calibers, but a 30 caliber is a 30 caliber regardless of the charge behind it and depends on the muzzle velocity etc.  Their website is www.hawkeoptics.com.  You can download their software for free.  Horus vision offers a similar product, but will calculate these values for say the Burris ballistic plex, Nikon BDC or mil dot, Leupold reticles and etc.  I ordered it for 39.95 and will give it a test drive and let everyone know how it works.  It is call 1st Hit.  Their website is www.horusvision.com.  I will write a review of the scope after I recieve it and have time to shoot with it on one or more rifles.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/01/2008 at 17:03
Originally posted by Dolphin Dolphin wrote:

I have not looked at the Rapid Z system of the Zeiss scopes, but I will bet they got their idea from Hawke. 

I was under the impression that the Rapid Z was a Fowler reticle, D.
I may be and am probably wrong though.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/01/2008 at 17:12
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

I was under the impression that the Rapid Z was a Fowler reticle, D.
I may be and am probably wrong though.

Yes, Rapid Z is from Fowler.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/01/2008 at 17:41
Yeah, like I said I really have not looked at their system, but understand from posts on the site that you can punch in numbers and it give you feedback on the reticle.  I will have to take the time to go and check out their system.  Hawke has done a fine job with their system.  I spoke to Brad Bonar who oversees the US distributor for Hawke rifle scopes and other products.  Very personable individual.  After a long discussion I decided to buy one of their scopes and test it out.  Their higher end products are made in Japan and lower end stuff is made in China in a plant that they own.  All of their products are designed in Japan with their assistance.  They have had their reticle system out for a while and that is the only reason I mention that others may have copied the idea.  I really have no knowledge of what the Rapid Z has to offer other than what posters have stated on the site.  Regardless, the Hawke system is quite nice.  Apparently a champion shooter of some sort has had his input.  If the optics are as good as they say and the reticle works with the program it will be a good buy, but we will see.  I finally pulled out my chrono and put some rounds through it this past weekend and it is working well.  So, when I get a chance I will let you know how good it is.

Edited by Dolphin - July/02/2008 at 14:49
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/01/2008 at 17:47
We look forward to your findings, Sir. Salute
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2008 at 07:17
I looked at the Rapid Z system and it is essentially the same as the Hawke system for their reticles.  The Hawke system allows you to print it off in a round fashion if you wish to attach to your flip up scope cover, that is if it is a non-see through.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2008 at 15:57
If memory serves me right, the Pride-Fowler reticle design (in their own scopes made by LOW) preceded the emergence of Hawke scopes.

ILya
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2008 at 16:06
Hawke scopes have been around for quite awhile selling in Europe.  Their emergence in the US has been quite recent and still very small.  There are few place to buy them from.  They actually claim to have approximately 50 percent of the European market.  I would not find that unusual given the fact that their prices are reasonable and not unlike the US, not everyone can afford a Swarovski, Kahles or Zeiss.

Edited by Dolphin - July/02/2008 at 16:06
Sniper308 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sniper308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2008 at 06:30
Originally posted by Dolphin Dolphin wrote:

Horus vision offers a similar product, but will calculate these values for say the Burris ballistic plex, Nikon BDC or mil dot, Leupold reticles and etc.  I ordered it for 39.95 and will give it a test drive and let everyone know how it works.  It is call 1st Hit. 

The version of "1st Hit" I have, bought back in 2005 I think, does not include computations for the Nikon BDC reticles.  Your version does?  When did you buy it?

Thanks.

Russ
mercenary1947 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2008 at 08:40
 Ilya .....  Thunbs%20Up  .... as always great dependable advice from experience and knowledge .... and Cheaptrick .... always respectable and courteous with a wealth of info .
One Shot One Kill .... *S.O.F * Head Shots Only
               SWFAM
noluv View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noluv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/24/2008 at 11:55
Im in uk.
the target shooter your on about is nick jenkins.
these scopes are definantly chinese with exception to there mil-pro and frontier side focus that do have better glass but i wouldnt say jap glass.
theres sr6,sr12,map mainly built for airgun use.
more like they ripped the idea off zeiss and s&b but never the less a good idea and different effective reticle but the glass is crap and a definant no no to low light.
i think the bloke you was speaking to may of been lying as if they owned the factory why do i have same scope but with different manufacture on?
i have 2x hawke side winders 4-12x52 one is badged up hawke and other has nothing.
smk 4-12 are the same as the hawke indurence 4-12 and bsa 4-12.
the hawke target 10-40 is the same as the tasco 10-40.
what you have is a company that buys from china and re badges the scopes.
zeiss or burris any day, if any one would like to swap a zeiss,burris,leupold for one let me know lol.
sorry to be so harsh but i am here and these are sold a lot mainly due to low price tag, even so i got to admit the reticle is verry effective.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic