OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

T/C Encore - solid or rickety?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff H. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T/C Encore - solid or rickety?
    Posted: June/27/2008 at 16:37
hey just wondering if any of you guys have handled the T/C encore. their barrel interchangability is a neat concept, but also raises a concern with me. since the barrels aren't permanently fixed to the receiver, are they really solid when you attach it, or are they loose/rickety? i am really interested in getting one of these, but i would want the gun to feel rock solid. thank you!
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/27/2008 at 16:39
They are solid.  They are fantastic guns if you are looking for something with interchangeability.  I bought my dad the pro hunter muzzleloader and it is a very nice gun.  
Jeff H. View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff H. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/27/2008 at 16:41
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

They are solid.  They are fantastic guns if you are looking for something with interchangeability.  I bought my dad the pro hunter muzzleloader and it is a very nice gun.  

sweet! thank you for that information!
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/27/2008 at 18:50
I have shot a Contender in 6mm TCU  that was a tack hammer of a pistol.  I can't imagine the Encore being much different in quality. 
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
Jeff H. View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff H. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/27/2008 at 19:32
Originally posted by Steelbenz Steelbenz wrote:

I have shot a Contender in 6mm TCU  that was a tack hammer of a pistol.  I can't imagine the Encore being much different in quality. 

yeah i would imagine the way the parts fit together is probably pretty similar.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/27/2008 at 20:15
ive played with there muzzleloaders and i think they are tits! solid for sure
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Jeff H. View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff H. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/27/2008 at 22:46
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

great! pretty much everything i've read about these guns is really positive. they seem to have a really good reputation as far as i can tell.
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2008 at 11:30

and

Both have great stuff on Encores . I installed  Bellm 1X hinge pins in both my Encores, Bellm hammer extenders, and a extra strength hammer springs from Bellm also ( recommended when using a hammer extension ). The 1X hinge pin tightened up my 50 cal BP groups from 2.5 " to 1.5 inches by eliminating what very ,very little play there was in the barrel / frame assembly. Easy and cheap. Also, install a Limbsaver pad--the factory one ( unless you get a pro hunter which already has one ) simply is ineffective.
I have chosen to leave my 50 black powder as is  . My other frame has woods stocks ( gunsmith installed Limbsaver) and I predominantly use that to shoot some recreational trap . I also swop out forearms and shoot 223 , 308 , and 12 ga slugs. All are very accurate and work great.

Got a hunting trip for deer and you're  successful- terrific. But you now have a few extra days to kill, and other critters are in season- swop out barrels and go after bobcat, coyote, ground hogs, bear ---whatever...

American%20Flag  Have a great 4th you all !

Edited by martin3175 - June/28/2008 at 13:07

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2008 at 11:33
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

Says it all !!Big%20Grin
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2008 at 11:36
I have no Encore experience but quite a bit of time with Contenders. I swap the barrels on mine and the lock up is tight on everyone of them. I have used them from .22 LR up to .375 JDJ and they are rock solid.
Jeff H. View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff H. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2008 at 12:54
Originally posted by martin3175 martin3175 wrote:

and

Both have great stuff on Encores . I installed  Bellm 1X hinge pins in both my Encores, Bellm hammer extenders, and a extra strength hammer springs from Bellm also ( recommended when using a hammer extension ). The 1X hinge pin tightened up my 50 cal BP groups from 2.5 " to 1.5 inches by eliminating what very ,very little play there was in the barrel / frame assembly. Easy and cheap. Also, install a Limbsaver pad--the factory one ( unless you get a pro hunter which already has one ) simply is ineffective.

I have chosen to leave my 50 black powder as is  . My other frame has woods stocks ( gunsmith installed Limbsaver) and I predemonantly use that to shoot some recreational trap . I also swop out forearms and shoot 223 , 308 , and 12 ga slugs. All are very accurate and work great.

Got a hunting trip for deer and you're  successful- terrific. But you now have a few extra days to kill, and other critters are in season- swop out barrels and go after bobcat, coyote, ground hogs, bear ---whatever...

American%20Flag  Have a great 4th you all !

yeah i did run across that bellm site in my research. i didn't know if the products he was offering were legitimate or just gimmicks. it's good to know that that hinge pin will tighten things up if necessary.

on the limbsaver: does that come out pretty clean looking after it is installed? also, about how much does it cost to have that done? thanks a lot!
Jeff H. View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff H. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2008 at 12:58
Originally posted by tahqua tahqua wrote:

I have no Encore experience but quite a bit of time with Contenders. I swap the barrels on mine and the lock up is tight on everyone of them. I have used them from .22 LR up to .375 JDJ and they are rock solid.

good to know! thank you!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2008 at 13:05
On a synthetic stock- the replacement is quick, easy, and looks factory ( less than $40 )

On the wooden stock, I had my local gunsmith install a grindable one , and it looks perfect and works well ( cost me $85. ) .

Edited by martin3175 - June/28/2008 at 13:05
Jeff H. View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff H. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2008 at 13:09

I installed  Bellm 1X hinge pins in both my Encores...

one more question about the hinge pin: is any part of the pin visible on the outside of the gun? i was wondering because bellm says he leaves the pins shiny, and if you had a blued receiver that might not match colorwise.

and happy 4th to you too!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2008 at 13:12

The hinge pins are hidden by the forearm..can't see'em

Jeff H. View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff H. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2008 at 13:43

The hinge pins are hidden by the forearm..can't see'em

ok great - thanks!
Jeff H. View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff H. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2008 at 13:44

On a synthetic stock- the replacement is quick, easy, and looks factory ( less than $40 )

On the wooden stock, I had my local gunsmith install a grindable one , and it looks perfect and works well ( cost me $85. ) .

oh ok. on the synthetic stock - is that pretty much a do-it-yourself job? do you just screw the old one off and screw on the new one?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2008 at 13:55
Yes-takes just a couple minutes,,,very easy ....
Jeff H. View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff H. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2008 at 14:06

Yes-takes just a couple minutes,,,very easy ....

great - that's what i was hoping!
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2008 at 10:50
Mine with the .223 barrel on it shoots sub-moa on a regular basis.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic