OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Taurus 1911 series

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/26/2008 at 09:14
Thanks for all of the info guys.  Keep it coming.  I am leaning more and more towards the Taurus.  If it were ya'll, would you go with a standard blued model or a more fancy model?  I do not intend on shooting it in the rain or using it as a back up when hunting.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/26/2008 at 09:27
If you go with the Taurus, I have heard the finish on the regular one is not holding up very well.  So I would probably get the stainless.  Or you could dura coat the black one once it starts wearing off.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/26/2008 at 09:52
the biggest problem with all the "new comers" are the barrels, and really the downfall. few are turned from bar stock, (Barsto,Nowlin,etc.) but on the other hand you get a gun that 15 years ago had to be hand built. none of the checkering is diamond checkering it's "line" checkering cut with triangular files, which can be made sharp enough to cut your hands. as mentioned the new breed are machined or in the mould castings. Colts are not really made by colt. they are farmed out and the company franchises the name from the city, I think. but that is beside the point as the ones being made are better than the either the 80 or 70 series. I think cz owns dan wesson now so expect better cs. but thats the best part of a 1911-all you need is brownells. stainless wears better, no need for coatings. Most gun finishes are worn out by practice draws anyway.  If you carry the gun wood grips will become dulled and worn, check out diamond wood, or micarta, aluminum or even good old Pachymers. Taurus makes good guns, certainly right up with any in this catagory, can't wait to check out there new slim 9. If the same shooter is is given a course of fire with the "middle of the line" vs. the high price stuff, there scores will not be statistically different. This has been tested by many IPSC gun clubs. (assumes good triggers, proper gun function). 
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/26/2008 at 09:59
Stainless finish.  Roguard the slide if you need to cut the glare.  Blue wears out fast on carry guns.  1911's like to be run wet and the stainless even more so. 
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/26/2008 at 12:56
I second Silver on the Blue. The stainless would be a good choice.
I have been dealing with Tool and Die people from Brazil for several years and have a healthy respect for them. I believe their metallurgy and machining is of high quality. We have had very few problems with their tooling. I would give that Taurus in SS a try.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2008 at 12:31
Good to hear.  I am thinking more about the blued model given that it is the traditional finish and put custom grips on it.
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2008 at 15:12
A blued 1911 is a fine looking pistol when adorned with custom grips. Esmeralda's grips are beautiful, as Silver said. She is well known @ http://forums.1911forum.com/search.php?searchid=2642440

Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2008 at 15:14
How much do those grips run for a simple pair of nice checkered rosewood?
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2008 at 15:21
Around a $100 http://www.esmeralda.cc/1911_full_2.htm
I have very nice grips from Eagle and the use a lot of rosewood. http://www.eaglegrips.com/materials.htm  Another friend has the Stag Eagles on a Colt and they are beautiful. His gun is stainless and with the melded brown hues just works great.

Edited by tahqua - July/02/2008 at 22:05
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2008 at 15:31
Rosewoood???ProtestPukerFriends don't let friends get rosewood.  It picks up the oil from your hands and darkens to much.  You don't get to see much grain afer a few years.  Try an Ironwood or Cocobola at least.  I'm a Tulipwood or zebra wood kinda guy.  Purpleheart  or some burl would be pimpin'  If you want Rosewood, then get Houges or Ahrends and save the money.  I've got some THIN smooth plain rosewoods with bushings if you want. 

WWW.formitch.com

Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2008 at 15:52
Will these readily fit the Taurus just like all 1911 clones?
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2008 at 16:37
They would require that you install new bushings or chop the old ones.  They are smooth Herret THINS. 

PM if you want to get serious.

WWW.formitch.com

tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2008 at 22:14
I disagree on rosewood. My Colt Agent has been pocket and hip carried extensively with Eagle Secret Service rosewood grips. I usually carry this piece in a Mika pocket holster. It is shown with my Alessi Talon. These grips are great.
Herrett's are top drawer and I have some for my Contender.

Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2008 at 07:06
Nice wood.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic