OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Varmint Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope help for new Savage Pred .243

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Weapon Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope help for new Savage Pred .243
    Posted: June/24/2008 at 20:45

Hello to all.Smile

I’m new here.  I’ve been actively devouring all the good information here (and a few tid-bits elsewhere) for a few weeks.  I’ve got a new Savage Predator Hunter .243 Win on order that should be in on Friday.Yippee  I’m trying to decide on a scope.Sharp%20Shooter

Primary usage will be coyotes close to longish range (breathing distance to 300 yrds), low light performance is key.  It will also do alternate duty as a close in deer rifle and any small varmint elimination opportunity that may present itself, some of which may be longer ranges (400ish yards). Price range is $500-600.

Most posts I’ve seen for yote poppers seem to think 2.5-10x50 is the best glass range.  I think I would really like the illuminated “dot” reticle option, as long as it is sufficiently dimmable.

My short list is made up of these two scopes:

http://www.swfa.com/pc-7279-185-bushnell-25-10x50-elite-4200-30mm-rifle-scope.aspx

http://www.swfa.com/pc-8146-358-burris-3-12x50-euro-diamond-30mm-rifle-scope.aspx

I looked through some various Bushnells, Nikons, Leupolds,  and Zeiss Conquests the other day.  I was very impressed with the Bushnell 4200 2.5-10x50.  I definitely preferred the 50mm obj to smaller (at least based on the darkest spot I could peer into across the street, about 150 yards).  They did not have the model I’m considering with the 30mm tube and lighted 4a reticle.  I’m assuming it is on par with the 4200 I looked at.

They did not have any Burris diamond or Euro diamonds.  I like the features of the Euro diamond above.  I did look through a Nikon Monarch in 3-12 and I like the bit of extra reach this gives you over the 2.5-10.  So that’s a plus for the Burris.  I also like that is a wee bit more compact and lighter.  The price (value) for the Bushnell 4200 makes it appealing as does the raincote.

I’d really like input from anyone who has used or handled these on the adjustability of the illuminated dot in each.  Will it go low enough for twilight or bright night hunting (w/ or w/o lights).  How does the glass on the Burris compare? The extra price for the Burris is not a deal killer as long as the glass is as good or better and the dot has good adjustment.  Not sure if the lack of raincote is a deal killer since I’ve never hunted in the rain.  Around here the electricity tends to flow freely when it’s raining. But I can think of times it might help.

Any and all input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Weapon Man

NRA Life Member
US Air Force Veteran
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2008 at 21:11
Bushnell 4200 are awesome and you will like it.  A Trijicon may fit your bill prefectly as well.  They are lite by tritium so you never have to worry about batteries.  They also have very good glass.
http://www.swfa.com/pc-4422-227-trijicon-3-9x40-accu-point-rifle-scope.aspx
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2008 at 06:41
Welcome, Weapon Man!

I think you've chosen well.  I love well-designed lit reticle scopes!  Both of these scopes feature a small lit dot, rather than the entire reticle being lit, so as long as they have rheostat settings low enough that they don't over-illuminate the sight picture, causing momentary loss of your night vision, either should work well.  I've never used a scope from the Euro Diamond series, but I've heard it's the same as the Black Diamond and Signature Select optically.  I'm not a huge Burris fan, but I have a few of their scopes and for the most part, they are solid and represent a good value.

That being said, I personally don't think Burris is any better than the Elite 4200 optically, so it's hard to beat the 4200 price.  From what I've seen, in general, the 4200s seem to me to have better low light performance than the Burris scopes I've seen, though I can't comment on this aspect of these two scopes.  I would be inclined to get the 4200 myself.  I think 2.5-10 is a great all-around, do everything power range, though 3-12 is a good magnification range as well. 

If you're willing to spend a little extra $, I like Supertool73's suggestion of the Trijicon 3-9X40 as well.  It has a very innovative lit reticle system in it that combines fiber optics and tritium for a dual illumination source -- sunlight during the day, tritium lamp during early morning/late evening.  Plus, the reticle is very fast and doesn't clutter the sight picture.

Edited by RifleDude - June/25/2008 at 06:46
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
mercenary1947 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2008 at 21:30
 That's quite a jump from $249.00 to $637.00 though . And an IR in bushnell starts at 
 $ 480.00 ..... 30mm .   

Edited by mercenary1947 - June/25/2008 at 21:36
One Shot One Kill .... *S.O.F * Head Shots Only
               SWFAM
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/26/2008 at 07:10
Merc, that IR 4A version of the Elite 4200 2.5-10 is the one he was considering in his first link above, not the standard version, so the price jump isn't quite that severe.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Weapon Man View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Weapon Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/27/2008 at 07:25
I did a little more "googling" on these specific scopes.  I came up with a few posts on the Burris that said the illumination was too bright for night hunting. Wasn't clear if this was for the digital control version or not.

More troubling was some posts I found from people who had parallax problems with this specific model of Bushnell 4200.  I don't know enough to know if this could be just operator error or a genuine problem.  What do you think?

#1945034 - 01/16/08 12:43 AM Re: Bushnell Elite 4200 opinions [Re: Ken14]

cr500 cr500

My 6-24x40 is pretty good apart from the limited adjustment range. The 2.5x10x50 illuminated reticle has been an absolute dog though. The first scope was repeatedly sent back because it had 6-8" of parralax error at 100yd which they refused to believe was a problem, it was withing specs according to them. After much hastling, I got sent another one, which didnt have as much parralax error, but the illuminated reticle was extremely small and dim, nothing like the one on the first scope. This too went back, but, no they said it was within specs. I wont be getting another Bushnell after the treatment I got. They might be good while they are working, but if they have a problem, dont expect any warranty service.

http://www.competitor.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=641547&utm_source=nextag&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=657

NRA Life Member
US Air Force Veteran
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/27/2008 at 07:55
I dunno.  I'm of the opinion that if you do enough searching, you'll find someone with bad comments to say about most anything.  Personally, with regards to the "too dim" dot illumination in the second 4200 he received, in my opinion, that's ideal.  If I can see the dot in low light, it's bright enough.  I don't want much more illumination that "just bright enough to see clearly."  I highly doubt that parallax problems are commonplace with this scope.
Ted

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic