OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

meopta vs other premium optics

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ercjr2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: meopta vs other premium optics
    Posted: December/14/2004 at 16:46

Can anyone tell me how these Czech Riflescopes compare to other premium riflescopes.

They offer a Lifetime transferrable warranty.

They claim to give between 94 to 95% light transmission. Guns and Ammo had an article claiming 98% light transmission.

Square reticle adjustment.

Are these scopes as good or better as Zeiss, Swarovski, Kahles, Leupold LPS, Burris Eurodiamond, Bushnell Elites?

redneckbmxer24 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2004 at 18:11

to rank those scope from best, to worst, i would rank them...

1. zeiss

2. swaro

3. LPS

4. kahles

5. meopta

6. elite 4200

7. eurodiamond

cory

If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns, I'll be only one of millions!!!
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2004 at 14:36
Really too new to the U.S. market to say if they can with stand the test of time.  Personally I would not take a chance, what good is a lifetime warranty if they don't last 5 years in the U.S.  You know the other brands you mentioned will still be around.
ercjr2001 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ercjr2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2004 at 20:22

Chris that is very true. I read that meopta was the largest optical and glass manufacturer in central europe. I guess that means every where except Germany.

I just wonder how they stackup?

Zeiss and Swarovski are the best that I have had the oppurtunity to examine.

I did notice one evening at a local gunshop that the Nikon Gold and the Bushnell Elite 4200 both seemed to be as bright as the Zeiss & Swarovski. I also have to say that both the Zeiss and the Swarovski had better color correction ( at least to my eyes ).

I just wonder what comparisons have been made with the meopta meostar line.

JOSEPHT View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JOSEPHT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2007 at 09:26
 Hey guys, I am pretty new to all this. I am looking for a new scope for me 270. and I am stuck between the Leupold VAR X III 3x10x50 and the Meopta Artemis 3000 3x10x50. I have heard alot of guys say the Meopta will catch more light giving you around 6 extra mins at dusk compare to the Leupold, but then I get the die hard Leupold guys who say nothing compares to a Leupold. The Meopta has an 30mm tube and this is why they say it will gather ore light compared to the 1 inch on the Leupold . Does any one have any advice or know where I might be able to find some more info on the Artemis 3x10x50? I have checked online and can't find much on that scope. I have also been told that Meopta uses the same glass in all there scopes the only difference is the tube and the crosshairs. They also say they uses to make the glass for Swarovski. I don't know how true this is so thats why I am asking for your opioin.
jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2007 at 10:01

ok, i have owned zeiss conquests, elite 4200's, and meopta meostars - and seen most of the big boys for comparison in the field.

the meopta meostar that i have is every bit as bright or brighter, in my opinion, as the conquest, swaro american, and kahles american scopes.

i put it side by side w/ my cousin's kahles C series and notice LITTLE difference if any at dusk. THAT is saying alot, as the kahles C series

are very very good scopes.

the 30mm vs 1 inch doesn't help light transmission, only increases adjustment range (in most cases)

i would buy another meostar in a second - but if i had the money, i would buy the big boys instead.

if you need top quality glass, there is a lot to choose from.  Leupold wouldn't be on MY list, though.

kahles, zeiss, meopta, elite 4200's, IOR, and sightron - have excellent scopes that are affordable.

good luck.

J

ND2000 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ND2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2007 at 10:17

"but then I get the die hard Leupold guys who say nothing compares to a Leupold"

When I hear this, I want to .  The people who say this have not looked through anything European.

"The Meopta has an 30mm tube and this is why they say it will gather more light compared to the 1 inch on the Leupold."

This is a big misconception in optics.  The size of the tube does not affect light gathering ability.  The amount of light that enters a scope is determined by the size of the objective lens.  How much of this light makes it to your eye is affected by a number of factors, such as coatings.  Some people would actually tell you that all else equal (objective lens size, coatings, magnification, etc.) a 1-inch tube will appear brighter than a 30mm.  The reasoning is all the light that enters the objective lens travels through the scope at the same speed, so forcing the same amount of light through a smaller tube will increase the intensity.

ND2000

You either get what you pay for or what you deserve.
snuff48 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snuff48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2007 at 10:28
i have never owned anything decent only tascos, bsa and simmons, i really do like my little simmons at dawn or dusk it is not worth a sh*t but for a short range day shooter it works,  but if meopta was good enough for snipers across the pond, then since it was free, it is good enough for me.  if i did not have other money issues i would buy one........
the "SNUFF"

FIREARMS- a few
MARKSMANSHIP-from great to what the hell!!!!!...it depends on the day, the rotation of earth and the pull of the moon, etc.
dead deer- a few
missed dear- >few
JOSEPHT View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JOSEPHT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2007 at 15:57

Alright I have decided and purchased a Meopta 3x12x56 R1 RD, it appears to catch more light and has a crisper image compare to the leupold. It also has this kick a_ _ feature that when it gets so dark the crosshairs disapear you turn on this light that replaces them with a infeared red cross hair with a red dot. KOOL.

RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/01/2007 at 10:46
 Please keep us posted on how well the windage and elevation adjustments work and how well it holds up, etc.
bigant View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/01/2007 at 18:11

Originally posted by Chris Farris Chris Farris wrote:

Really too new to the U.S. market to say if they can with stand the test of time.  Personally I would not take a chance, what good is a lifetime warranty if they don't last 5 years in the U.S.  You know the other brands you mentioned will still be around.

Everyone said that about IOR when they first came to the US. Now look they are starting to take a foothold.  IMO I believe MeOpta will follow in IOR's foot steps. Hopefully, they will have better CS than  IOR did when they first came to the states. 

Also, if SWFA doesnt think they'll last then why are you selling them?  I mean you(SWFA) is putting there rep on the line by selling a product that may or may not make it. 

snuff48 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snuff48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/01/2007 at 18:47

like with any company coming from overseas to the U.S. with a great product, unless it is made by different people here or abroad, there should not be any decline in quality.  again unless the company has chosen to cut corners and cost to ramp up production. 

check out there site there is a link

http://www.meopta.cz/index.php?lang=en

due to different types of optics the company produces i belive there will be no worry about quality or cs because the comapny has alot riding on it.

the "SNUFF"

FIREARMS- a few
MARKSMANSHIP-from great to what the hell!!!!!...it depends on the day, the rotation of earth and the pull of the moon, etc.
dead deer- a few
missed dear- >few
snuff48 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snuff48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/01/2007 at 18:52

also just because a product "does no make it here" it does not mean it is a bad product.  we as americans in general are on of the fickle people i know.  been all over the world......and then some.......

not ment to flame just an opion......

the "SNUFF"

FIREARMS- a few
dead deer- a few
missed dear- >few
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic