OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

best rifle scope for $150

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlevineyard1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: best rifle scope for $150
    Posted: June/24/2008 at 19:42

This forum is well versed in optics, so what is your opinion on the best scope/buy for up to $150. alot of hunters are either unable or unwilling to spend much more than this on their hunting optics thank-you for your input!

littlevineyard1
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2008 at 20:14
       Not knowing what firearm you use or what your hunting situation is like,lets talk an all-around scope. Other than trying to find a better grade used scope for $150 I would look at the Bushnell Legend series.  They have a 2-7x32 and a 3-9x40 that are fully multicoated and have 3.5"s of eye relief. SWFA has the 2-7 x32 for $125 and the 3-9x40 for $135. 

til later

Edited by 300S&W - June/24/2008 at 20:16
dougedwards View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougedwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2008 at 20:15
Originally posted by littlevineyard1 littlevineyard1 wrote:

This forum is well versed in optics, so what is your opinion on the best scope/buy for up to $150. alot of hunters are either unable or unwilling to spend much more than this on their hunting optics thank-you for your input!

How bout your eyeballs and that little metal thingy on the end of the barrelBig%20Grin  No just kidding.......I think you can buy a Nikon Buckmaster for $150 but not sure.  You are right about many hunters not wanted to spend alot on optics.  I think I know all of them.
but you brethren are not of the flesh but of the spirit if indeed the spirit of Christ dwells within you...Romans 8
dougedwards View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougedwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2008 at 20:20
 Also this one would be very hard to beat for the price.

but you brethren are not of the flesh but of the spirit if indeed the spirit of Christ dwells within you...Romans 8
nsaqam View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nsaqam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2008 at 20:37
The Pentax Gameseeker series of scopes are around $100 and they seem to be pretty good and carry the Pentax warranty.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2008 at 20:38
The Weavers will serve you well and there are a few magnification ranges in your price range. They are fully multi-coated.
If you can spend $30 more and are OK with gloss, the Nikon Monarch 2-7 is an outstanding scope for the money. It is the equal of many scopes costing twice as much. You can check with SWFA for a matte version, too.
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2008 at 23:42
Originally posted by littlevineyard1 littlevineyard1 wrote:

.................First, we need more info! What rifle and caliber? What game? What type of terrain and average hunting distances?.....There are a few scope choices in that price range, but rather than come up with some choices now, we need some more specific info!!..........For your particular needs, depending on the rifle, caliber, recoil etc., a $150 scope may not be the best choice!
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2008 at 07:26
Not knowing what yor plans are I can give you a personal +1 on the Bushnell Legend for our use.  Use one on my 44 for deer hunting in timber - 1.75-4x32.  Also have a friend with one on his 35 rem.  Both have performed very well over the last few years and are inexpensive. 

Sorry my bad - I have the Trophy model Bushnell not the Legend but would have to believe the Legend is a good scope too.

Edited by Dogger - June/25/2008 at 07:31
God save the Empire!
mercenary1947 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2008 at 07:33
 NIKON *************
One Shot One Kill .... *S.O.F * Head Shots Only
               SWFAM
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2008 at 08:48
Originally posted by 300S&W 300S&W wrote:

Not knowing what firearm you use or what your hunting situation is like,lets talk an all-around scope. Other than trying to find a better grade used scope for $150 I would look at the Bushnell Legend series.  They have a 2-7x32 and a 3-9x40 that are fully multicoated and have 3.5"s of eye relief. SWFA has the 2-7 x32 for $125 and the 3-9x40 for $135. 

til later
 I have to agree.  The Legend series is very nice.  The optics are bright and clear and the clicks are positive and track well, at least on my 3x9 50 mm model.   It is on a Zastavia .308 and shoot three quarter inch groups or less at 100 yards.  I am very satisfied with my Weaver V9 3x9 38 mm, although I believe the glass is better on the Legend.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2008 at 09:05
I have a Bushnell Legend 3-9x40 and it is a very good scope for the money.  
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2008 at 09:07
One more thing.  The Legend and the Weaver are not made in China.  I believe my Legend was made in Japan as well as my Weaver.
littlevineyard1 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlevineyard1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2008 at 09:23
i will give some more info. most of the hunters i see hunt pennsylvania hardwood forests with some farmland. most shots are under 100 yards with an occasional 150-200 yard attempt. most rifles are of "standard" calibers: 30-03, 270 308 . thank-you for the input
littlevineyard1
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2008 at 10:17
 OK lv1,that means all of our suggestions are within your ballpark. Now the fun begins. Which one ya gonna buy!!

til later
littlevineyard1 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlevineyard1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2008 at 12:45
hi s&w 500, well let me say that the reason i asked is that, yes high quality optics are a dream to use, but lets have opinions from knowagable folk for hunters on a budget. i already own a bushnell legend-2-7x32 and a weaver 2-7x32 and like both of these scopes very well for eastern woodlands hunting. i also just purchased a nikon monarch ucc for a 44 mag lever action and am extremely pleased with this scope also but it is over the $150 budget!
littlevineyard1
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2008 at 14:04

OK,so here's my opinion for those on a budget. There are some nice servicable scopes to be had at a $150 limit but they can do better by keeping their eyes and ears open plus asking around. I bought  two 4.75x40 Weaver  GS's  last summer for under $140 a piece. Bought a 3-9x40 Leupold Vari-Xll a few years back for $125. There are GREAT deals out there but they gotta look,listen,and ask around. Watch on the SAMPLELIST,forum classifieds,sales and closeouts on optic web sites,ask at gun shops and shows. It's hard to tell when a deal's gonna pop up. That Leupold I told about I bought for a friend on a VERY tight budget. I told a friend who has a small gun shop about him and asked if he'd  keep his eye out for something. He wanted to know if my friend could go $125 for a 3x9 Leupold ,took it off of his own rifle and the deal was done. Just my opinon.

til later

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic