OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Mounts & Accessories > Rings and bases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Overwhelmed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote row Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Overwhelmed
    Posted: June/22/2008 at 14:34
I'm new here (obviously), but I have come to seek the knowledge of the optics gods.

I've been shooting for several years, and have always been interested in precision shooting. I've done some research on forums/sites and at the range I shoot at, and I've pretty much decided on a .308 remington 700. Not 100% decided on the exact make (open to suggestion), but I'd like the heavy barrel (not necessarily fluted), and black synthetic stock. Anyway, on to the optics.

I decided I should get the optics before I got the rifle, since I have to get this thing in stages (2 paychecks). I know for a fact I'd hate myself if I bought the rifle and then had to sit on it till i could afford the optics haha. Since I'm on a ~$1300 budget with this thing, I've been looking at the Super Sniper 10x42 that everyone seems to be impressed with. Obviously I'm not a pro shooter and have never used a Leupold or anything, but that also means such high quality optics would probably be wasted on me. It seems like most reviews say it's by far the highest quality scope in its price range. Is this a wise choice?

So I felt pretty happy that I'd narrowed down a scope and rifle, and then I pulled up the rings page and about died. Here I'm completely at a loss. This is mostly why I came here, although I'd love feedback on the scope/rifle as well. I don't even know where to start with rings/base. Any help?

Thanks guys
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2008 at 23:34
Welcome, row!

First of all, I would feel comfortable buying the Super Sniper just based on the positive comments about it from people here whose opinions I respect. 

Luckily for you, there is a tremendous selection of rings and bases available for a Remington 700.  Obviously, some scope mount systems are higher quality and more durable than others.  A Picatinny rail ("Weaver style") 1- piece base will give you more fore and aft ring placement options than anything else.  If you want ultimate, rock solid durability, the tactical style rings from companies like TPS, Badger, Seekins Precision, etc. are excellent.  If you are of the opinion that huge, beefy rings and thick 1-piece bases that bridge over the ejection port detract from the rifle's appearance too much, then any of the 2 piece base and ring systems from Leupold, Burris, Warne, Talley, etc. would work fine too.  You almost can't go wrong as long as you select the right bases for your action, go with a name brand, and select mounts that allow you to position the scope for proper eye relief.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2008 at 08:48
a lot of the movement in heavy duty optical mounting hardware, doesn't come from it being inherently more accurate or "heavier duty" afterall , any thing you choose is only held on by 4 teeny tiny screws. -- it is from the armorers (guy who fixes the broken sh*t it the cage) point of view. for them its a real pain trying to torque down evenly 4 small torx on 20 guns a day. in the long run why not just put put a 3/8" bolt on it and use a dedicated wrench, so ina way the set is to protect the gun and parts from the continual adjustments, replacement of parts rather than field use. regular shooters don't really need it
row View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote row Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2008 at 11:07
Thank you for your replies guys. I've been trying to look on other sites and forums to see what people use a lot. If I were going to get a 700 .308 model (.308 is short action, yes?), i could get:

This scope

I could get:

This base

With:

These rings

I imagine I'll learn more about these topics as I go, but for now I just want a solid, basic accessories that get the job done. Would this do it? Any better recommendations?
row View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote row Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2008 at 12:19
okay somehow I completely messed up those links. I meant:

This scope:
http://www.swfa.com/pc-4304-231-super-sniper-10x42-30mm-rifle-scope.aspx

This base:
http://www.swfa.com/pc-12017-1974-weaver-multi-slot-tactical-base.aspx

These rings:
http://www.swfa.com/c-1556-millett-angle-loc-weaver-style-30mm-rings.aspx

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2008 at 17:16
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic