OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Optic Reviews and Tests > Member's Tests and Reviews
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Vortex Diamondback 1.75-5x32 :OT Test Drive Review
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Vortex Diamondback 1.75-5x32 :OT Test Drive Review

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vortex Diamondback 1.75-5x32 :OT Test Drive Review
    Posted: June/20/2008 at 23:20
I have been test driving the Vortex Diamondback 1.75-5x32 scope for the last couple weeks.  I mounted it on my Norinco 22LR.  Took it out gopher hunting for the last few weekends.  I think it is a good size scope for a 22LR.  Some people like a bigger scope, but for what I do with it and the range of the rifle, I personally think it is the perfect magnification range for shooting gophers and rodents anywhere from 10 to 150 yards.  OK, on to the scope.

My biggest complaint is the size of the ocular ring.  I had to go buy extra high rings to make it so my bolt would clear it to eject the spent round.  Could just be a deal with my gun, but the last two scopes I had on there didn't have a problem.  Other than that, I like the looks of the scope, although, I would have liked to see that mag range in a straight tube.

The glass was OK.  Around the edges, I could see discoloration, and it was blurry around the edge.  The center was clear and bright.  The reticle was sharp, but maybe a touch big.

The focus rings and mag rings turned smoothly and easily.

Adjustments.  I didn't sight it in at a range.  Used a cow pie in the pasture, so I can't comment on how precise they are.  I did use the windage a little for wind, and it seemed to be pretty close.  The clicks were audible and felt reasonably sturdy.  They were easily finger adjustable.  Quick and easy sight in.  I then rode around on the 4 wheeler shooting gophers for several hours.  Have a gun rack that I put it in.  With all the bouncing, the zero never moved.  Might stick it on my 300 win and see how it does on there.

I would say, it is not as bright as my FFII or 4200.  Tested them all at dusk.  4200 won with the FFII right with it.  I would almost call it a tie.  The Vortex fell behind, even using a lower power.  I didn't find it as sharp as the other two scopes.

That being said, I need a scope for my 22, and I would consider this scope.  For the price it is not bad.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2008 at 13:17
A COW PIE?  How gauche!!!!          Shocked
OTHER THAN THE COW PIE ,  a
good report there rotorboy!!  
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2008 at 13:42
Originally posted by Ed Connelly Ed Connelly wrote:

Now what do you have against a cowpie?  I personally think they make a great target.  You can see when you hit it, especially the fresh ones.  Big%20Smile
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2008 at 12:31
Originally posted by helo18 helo18 wrote:

Originally posted by Ed Connelly Ed Connelly wrote:

Now what do you have against a cowpie?  I personally think they make a great target.  You can see when you hit it, especially the fresh ones.  Big%20Smile

I never thought about plinking poo. That's a good one, Helo. That made for an interesting review.

Thanks,
Doug
JF4545 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2009 at 00:09

Ive only shot one Gopher while above the ground, they rarely come up where we live. Usually early in the morning.But we used to shoot themwith shotguns while in the ground. We would slip up on a mound while the dirt was moving and put the muzzle right above it and BLAMMO  ,, dig up the the ground a little and there would be Mr. Gopher still smokin with gun powder... I have to admit though I never did shoot any Cow Pies though, Ok Ok , Not very many and those were shot with a 22 but only because a 12 guage blows FRESH stuff everywhere..Coffee                                 Good report on the scope !

JF

Edited by JF4545 - August/29/2009 at 00:30
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic