OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Topic Closedwhat to get for 375 RUM?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Direct Link To This Post Topic: what to get for 375 RUM?
    Posted: June/19/2008 at 16:26
I looking for a scope for a 375 RUM will be hunting big game.  Would like for this to used out to 7-800 yards I have a $1000 budget.  Recommendations?
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2008 at 16:38
Ok, you got my attention. Before I make a suggestion, what and where are you hunting if I may ask?

Roy
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2008 at 16:44

What ever you decide, make sure you have enough eye relief.  Generally I like a 1.5-5, or 1.75-6 in a heavy medium, but with your long yardage request I think possibly a 3-9 maybe needed, just make sure on that eye relief (leupold).

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2008 at 17:07
Depending on the scope, Leupold and Zeiss will probably give you the best eye relief for your 375 RUM, which you will need, to avoid becoming a blood brother to your scope in the form of a scar near your eye!Crutch Also keep in mind that with some scopes, when you increase your power variable, your eye relief is less! I`d say that you would need at the very least, a minimum 3.75" of eye relief! Check out the Zeiss, the Leupolds and maybe the Burris Sig. Selects and check their eye relief specs on the low and high magnification ends..............Out to 7-800 yards for hunting if that`s the case, probably on the high end, a 12x to 14x would be very good. However, most of your realistic hunting ranges based on laws of averages, will be less than 500 yards. In that case a good 6x to 9x for big game will do nicely!.............Your 1st consideration with that recoiling beast (which I like BTW), is eye relief!!!
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2008 at 17:10
Welcome, raisincenter!

First, I don't want to sound harsh, but please understand I don't know you or your experience level.  What are you shooting at 700-800 yards and why?  Do you have a lot of long range shooting experience?  In 34 years of big game hunting, I have yet to see a situation where I was faced with an 800 yard shot at a big game animal and had no opportunity to get closer.

Even if you are an accomplished long range marksman, unless you're having a custom rifle built, I can almost guarantee you your rifle won't be accurate enough to consistently place your shots in the vitals of an animal at those distances, especially when you factor in wind, weather, the unpredictable nature of wild animals, and unstable rest positions. 

...especially if your rifle is chambered in 375RUM!

Given a $1K budget, and given your long range requirement, I would personally get this scope with the Rapid Z 800 reticle:

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
GOOGLE NINJA

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2008 at 17:39
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Welcome, raisincenter!

First, I don't want to sound harsh, but please understand I don't know you or your experience level.  What are you shooting at 700-800 yards and why?  Do you have a lot of long range shooting experience?  In 34 years of big game hunting, I have yet to see a situation where I was faced with an 800 yard shot at a big game animal and had no opportunity to get closer.

Even if you are an accomplished long range marksman, unless you're having a custom rifle built, I can almost guarantee you your rifle won't be accurate enough to consistently place your shots in the vitals of an animal at those distances, especially when you factor in wind, weather, the unpredictable nature of wild animals, and unstable rest positions. 

...especially if your rifle is chambered in 375RUM!

Given a $1K budget, and given your long range requirement, I would personally get this scope with the Rapid Z 800 reticle:

.................RifleDude has a very good point! With my 35+ years of hunting experience, I have never needed to take a shot at those distances, especially when I can always get closer, nor would I try a shot on any game at 7-800 yards with ANY caliber!!.........If you were hunting with a 20 lb. to 30 lb. .408 Barrett or a 50 BMG, then you may have a better case!.......Though sometime back on the Outdoor channel, I did see a successful 900 yard or so shot on a big bison with a 31 lb. 50 BMG,,,,a PERFECT carry around rig!!!!50%20Cal..........Weight%20Lifter
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2008 at 18:00
I don't have the knowledge or experience as squeezer or Ted, but I can honestly say that I never shot at anything being it target or game past 350yds, I really can't find any reason too.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2008 at 18:02
Eye relief will be important.  Off hand not so bad but our 375RUM with 300 grain A-frames really rocks off the bench or prone.  4" is not bad but watch out if you're a stock crawler.  Always thought of this calibre as more of a DGR but the stock iron sights are poor for this use.
God save the Empire!
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2008 at 18:16

WAG... cross canyon at elk?

"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2008 at 18:38
I don't know if my binoculars can see that far.
wfeher View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2008 at 19:17
Maybe use a scudd missle or artillary round at that distance you might have a better chance and top it off with a bsa or tasco also .Big%20GunsTank
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2008 at 19:21
He could buy a lot of cardboard tubes for $1000.   And then he could paper Big Squeeze's house with the.....ummm....wrapping!  ( and then it would RAIN in Southern California!!  Yee HAA!!)  Bandito
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2008 at 20:06
I think a Kahles 1.5-6x42 would be excellent for your gun. They have great contrast and resolution and they are outstanding in low light. http://www.swfa.com/pc-13390-289-new-kahles-15-6x42-helia-csx-30mm-riflescope.aspx
They are a bit over your stated budget but will be on that gun forever and are worth it.
I have two 1.1-4x24 Kahles C models. One is on a Ruger #1 and the other on a weakling .375 H&H. They perform great. Here's my Remy Classic in .375.

helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2008 at 20:08
Originally posted by Big Squeeze Big Squeeze wrote:

Depending on the scope, Leupold and Zeiss will probably give you the best eye relief for your 375 RUM, which you will need, to avoid becoming a blood brother to your scope in the form of a scar near your eye!Crutch Also keep in mind that with some scopes, when you increase your power variable, your eye relief is less! I`d say that you would need at the very least, a minimum 3.75" of eye relief! Check out the Zeiss, the Leupolds and maybe the Burris Sig. Selects and check their eye relief specs on the low and high magnification ends..............Out to 7-800 yards for hunting if that`s the case, probably on the high end, a 12x to 14x would be very good. However, most of your realistic hunting ranges based on laws of averages, will be less than 500 yards. In that case a good 6x to 9x for big game will do nicely!.............Your 1st consideration with that recoiling beast (which I like BTW), is eye relief!!!

If you look at the Burris Scopes, I would recommend looking at the Black Diamond or XTR.  I shoot my 300 Win Mag out to 1000 yards when I can.  However when hunting, I limit my ranges.  For the ranges you are looking at, i would look at a 3-12 or 4-16.  I would also recommend a mil-dot or BDC reticle.

Another scope you could look at is the new Bushnell 6500 scopes.  Gives good mag range, good glass, raingaurd, and they list the eye relief at 3.9 in.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2008 at 20:33
I am also a Burris fan and consider them to be very durable scopes. I don't have the same scopes as Helo but the Signatures are a very good scope. The optics are great and adjustments are crisp and hold zero.
Welcome to O.T., BTW
raisincenter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2008 at 20:44
Ok sorry for any confusion.  I won't be shooting any critters at 800 yards.  But, I would like to be able to shoot long range with this thing.  I will be hunting elk with it.  I'm seeing a few responses for burris.  so they are a fairly decent scope?  On other forums I had seen a few/lot complaints about them.  I would like to see what this thing is capable of on paper.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2008 at 21:29
Don't know if you have shot that rifle yet, but, I can only recommend a scope with plenty of eye relief and a reputation for durability. I would be looking at something Leupold.

Roy
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2008 at 21:41

Sierra Matchking 300 gr balistic coeffecient.

Bullet Name Diameter inches Weight grains Sectional Density Ballistic Coefficients
.375 dia. 300 gr. SBT .375 300 .305 .475 @ 2600 fps and above
.480 between 2600 and 2200 fps
.470 between 2200 and 1800 fps
.458 @ 1800 fps and below

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - June/22/2008 at 11:20

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2008 at 21:55
Originally posted by raisincenter raisincenter wrote:

I looking for a scope for a 375 RUM will be hunting big game.  Would like for this to used out to 7-800 yards I have a $1000 budget.  Recommendations?
start with good dental insurance and a scope with lots of eye relief, say something like a new nikon monarch or a zeiss conquest, maybe even a kahles would fit the bill
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
raisincenter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2008 at 22:11
Well looks like I'm on my own.  I will be using bullets with higher bc's than that.  Read custom.  thanks for the laughs.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic