OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

280 AI

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SChunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 280 AI
    Posted: June/18/2008 at 20:09
What are the advantages/disadvantages of the 280 Rem Vs. 280 AI?
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2008 at 21:00
Depends on whether or not your a handloader. I have a 280 Ackley and I like it very much. As far as additional performance, the Ackley probably gains somewhere between 50 to perhaps 100 fps over the standard 280, and if someone tells you they get alot more than that they are either full of sh*ttt, don't own a chronograph or they are loading to unsafe pressures. The good news, even if you are not a handloader, is that you can fire standard 280 ammo out of a rifle chambered for the Ackley version. I also believe, again if you handload, that case life is prolonged with the Ackley chamberings because a sharper shouldered cartridge tends to "flow" brass into the neck and shoulder area at a slower rate. So, if your a handloader, go with the Ackley. If for no other reason, they rate very high on the cool factor scale.

Roy

PS. You can buy 280 Ackley ammo from anyone who sells Nosler Custom Ammunition.

Edited by Roy Finn - June/18/2008 at 21:03
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2008 at 21:01
Here's a decent article http://www.angelfire.com/ma/ZERMEL/280AI.html
I like what the author has to say, "The 280 Ackley Improved qualifies as an unpretentious 7mm soft magnum. It does not have to take a backseat to any of the medium calibers. The outstanding selection of bullets makes it one of the most versatile hunting rifles. Try it on antelope, deer, moose and elk. The two latter species require the 175-gr. bullets. Also I have killed moose with 160 gr Speer bullets".
Mojo View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman
All Mojo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2008 at 21:02
The advantage/disadvantage is that you can get into a never resolving discussion about how your .280 AI is somehow the equal of a 7mm Rem. Magnum.

Mojo 
MOJO
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2008 at 21:11
A short article from Kenny Jarrett on the 280 Ackley. Back in the day, it was his favorite cartridge for long range deer sniping.

280 Ackley Improved

120 gr. Nosler Bullet............3340 fps
140 gr. Nosler Bullet............3150 fps
150 gr. Nosler Bullet............2950 fps

If I had to lay my finger on one thing that really brought Jarrett Rifles to the dance it would be the .280 Improved. We have made over 400 rifles in this caliber and probably rebarreled at least that many. For me to say I’ve had more experience with this cartridge than anyone has ever had is a safe bet. After several long discussions with P.O. Ackley I decided that this was a cartridge that I wanted to work with. Even though Mr. Ackley would not take credit for its creation, it bears all the markings of Ackleys work. He did a 7mm-06 version which is slightly shorter and has a little less capacity than the .280 version. Mr. Ackley was very complimentary of the .280 Improved. He once told me that he felt its capacity bore about the maximum usable powder capacity for 7mm. Ackley had a lot of influence on me in the earlier days and out of respect for his help, most of my .280 Imp. rifles still bear his name. Several things make the .280 Improved such a wonderful cartridge. One is factory ammo can be used in the improved chamber, second, brass life is good, and third, versatility of use created by its high degree of accuracy with bullet weights ranging from 120gr. To 160gr. One can see that there is very little difference if any between the magnum 7mm’s and the .280 Improved. Mr. Ackley had a strong opinion that a belted case was not needed in 7mm. Below are average velocities for the .280 Improved and I say average because rifles are individuals. In fact, the tight bore barrels dimensionally speaking produces the best accuracy but not the best velocity.

On the light bullet end, you have a set up that will beat a 25-06 all to pieces. Conversely speaking the heavy end bullets will out do a 30-06 velocity wise. Because of the higher ballistic co-efficient of the 160 gr. 7mm bullets, compared to the 160gr. 30 caliber bullet, it will retain its down range velocity better.

If you only want one custom rifle, then the versatility should be your prime consideration. The .280 Improved has that. Totally adequate on small African game or Antelope with the 120's. Perfect for larger deer with the 140's and a real elk and moose buster with the 160's. Also, the bullet selection is tremendous on 7mm. The .280 Improved has been our best seller for 8 years. Unless you are really recoil shy, a muzzle brake is not necessary on a .280 Improved. We have continued to sell them through the years because they work extremely well. I did alter the throat angle where they would really “stick ‘um in there.” We made them work and shoot and still do. Thousands upon thousands of animals have been taken world wide with the Jarrett Rifle in .280 Imp. That many dead animals couldn’t be wrong. For more information on the .280 Improved please see it in the Nosler No.4 reloading manual.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2008 at 21:23
the advantage, you get more oomph out of  an already kick ass round.
the disadvantage, none of the big boys currently chamber them in there rifles

ive been contemplating having mine improved but money isnt there for now
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
SChunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SChunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2008 at 21:35
Thanks to all.
SChunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SChunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2008 at 21:36
Pyro, what would you say was the cost to "improve" a 280 to 280AI?
SChunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SChunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2008 at 21:38
Thanks Roy Finn!
Hasn't Jarrett converted to his own 300?
Also, ballistically, the 280 is not that far behind?
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2008 at 21:41
Originally posted by SChunter SChunter wrote:

Pyro, what would you say was the cost to "improve" a 280 to 280AI?
you know what i wanna know the answer to that myself
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
SChunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SChunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2008 at 21:42
Tahqua, the only major difference is the soulder angle??
SChunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SChunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2008 at 21:42
Sorry, Tahqua--Shoulder
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2008 at 21:46
thats correct they blow the shoulder out to a 40 degree angle in the ackley version, which shortens the neck a bit but gives you a little more room for powder by doing that, so you gain buy improving
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2008 at 21:56
Keep in mind that the write up by Jarrett was probably at least 15 years old. It was around the time when he was just getting the 300 Jarrett up and popular. There is nothing really magical about the 300 Jarrett. It is probably easily outdone by the 300 UltraMag these days. In all candor, there isn't a whole lot of difference between a 300 Weatherby, 300 Jarrett, 300 Ultra Mag, 30 STW (which I own) and most anything else based on the 8mm Remington mag case or 404 Jeffery. They are all a major handful to shoot regarding recoil.
As far as the cost to rechamber to an Ackley, figure about 100-150 depending on the talent level of your chosen gunsmith. Remember, there isn't a big game animal in North America that couldn't be cleanly taken with a 280 Ackley.

Roy

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2008 at 22:01
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

thats correct they blow the shoulder out to a 40 degree angle in the ackley version, which shortens the neck a bit but gives you a little more room for powder by doing that, so you gain buy improving

Not nit-picking, but the shoulder is blown out to 40 degrees and it is moved slightly forward as well. In addition, the case body has slightly less taper from the base to shoulder.

Roy
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2008 at 22:01
100-150 thats all, wow i figured it would cost twice that, but i dont deal with smiths either.
the 30.378 wby is another one to add to that list of nasty 300's

roy is correct the .280 will do exactly that
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2008 at 22:06
FYI

NoslerCustom 2nd Edition

NOSLER UNVEILS THE NOSLERCUSTOM™ BOLT ACTION RIFLE EDITION #2 One year after the introduction of the first-ever NoslerCustom Bolt Action Rifle Limited Edition, the folks in Bend, Oregon have followed up the 300 WSM in 2005 with a surprising new caliber—the 280 Ackley Improved. Again limited to just 500 total units, the NoslerCustom Rifle presents an incredible opportunity of performance for the shooter whose passion for accuracy is equal to his passion for fine craftsmanship.

Edited by martin3175 - June/18/2008 at 22:08
rkingston View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rkingston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2008 at 12:28
I had one built on a Montana Rifleman action and a Shilen barrel. It will cut a ragged hole at 100 yards with almost any 140 grain you care to feed it. Seems to be just as accurate while fire forming brass as it is while shooting the .280AI brass, just a little slower. You cant go wrong. Also regarding price, sometimes you can purchase the reamer and work a deal with the gunsmith to keep it after he's finished and save yourself some money.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2008 at 17:00
I think the $150.00 price point is pretty accurate, though it can vary greatly depending on action type, so I've been told.  Personally I think the greatest argument for the 280ai is the "curb" appeal, it's just neat having something different.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Mojo View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman
All Mojo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2008 at 17:05
I have absolutely nothing against the .280 AI, but my plain jane .280 gets 2920 with 150 gr. Ballistic tips, without a maximum charge, and 2859 avg. with 160 gr. Partition, which is hardly the fastest bullet around.  

Not much of an increase for the money, is my point.  Where am I wrong?
MOJO
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic