OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Any experience with Baush & Lomb scopes?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dirt1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any experience with Baush & Lomb scopes?
    Posted: June/17/2008 at 20:13
Does anybody on the board have any experience with Baush & Lomb rifle scopes? A 6-24X40 target model in particular. Is the quality any good? Are they even still in business? Warranty issues? Thanks for your time.
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/17/2008 at 20:20
Bausch and Lomb was a division of Bushnell-----and is now merely just labelled Bushnell..still around and going strong
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/17/2008 at 20:26
The three I'm familiar with are the B&L Balvar, B&L 4000 and B&L 4200. All are very good, with the 4000 and 4200's being somewhat better than earlier models. To the best of my knowledge, they were all made by the same optics house in Japan. Bushnell still does warranty work if needed.

Roy
dirt1 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dirt1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/17/2008 at 20:27
So if something went wrong with it you could still get it fixed? Were the Bauch & Lomb versions any good?
martin3175 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/17/2008 at 20:30
Yes ,,and generally--yes
SChunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SChunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/17/2008 at 21:19
I had a B and L on a 7mag.  The scope failed after about 75 rounds.  They wrote an odd response to the effect that the scope could not handle the rifle, but they repaired the scope and returned it in about 3 weeks--no charge.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2008 at 08:24
I have a fixed 4x Balfor. I compared it with a 4x Zeiss many years ago. I went with the B&L because it was nearly as good as the Zeiss and half the cost.
dirt1 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dirt1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2008 at 10:14
Thanks for the help guy's. I'm still on the fence though. Trying to decide between the B&L and a Burris Fullfield 6-18X40. Which do you guys think would be a better scope? Thanks again.
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2008 at 10:18
Have a B&L 4000, 1.5-6X on a Benelli R1 30.06 - very nice scope and has stood up well
God save the Empire!
Sled2live View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sled2live Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2008 at 10:49
The B & L 4000 scope is equivalent to the Bushnell 4200 scopes.  Very, very good scopes, especially at their price point.  I have used one extensively for airgun field target, and they are very popular in that arena. Very consistant in their rangefinding (AO adjustments can actually be calibrated for repeatable rangefinding at airgun distances) and precise repeatability using the elevation knobs for this target shooting format.  Excellent choice.  By far a better scope than the current Burris scopes.
Hope this helps
Scott
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2008 at 13:30
The main difference between the B&L 4000 and the Bushnell 4200 is the addition of the Rainguard lense coatings. Some feel that the image is also clearer/sharper in the 4200's as well, but, from owning both models, I really don't see that much of a difference. If it is there, it must be very slight. Other than that, the B&L 4000, B&L 4200 (same scope as the 4000+Rainguard) and the Bushnell 4200 are identical. I would just suggest that unless you are finding these B&L scopes at a discount/closeout price, I would opt for the newer versions. Frankly, I haven't seen a B&L version of these scopes on sale anywhere for quite some years now, at least new selling in the box anyway.

Roy
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2008 at 13:39
I had a B&L Elite 3000, and it was an o.k. scope.  It was the precursor to the current Bushnell Elite 3200 just as the Bushnell 4200 is the new B&L 4000.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic