OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scout Scopes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scout Scopes
    Posted: June/16/2008 at 20:40
200269 Burris%202.75x20%20Scout%20Scope%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20 Burris 2.75x20 Scout Scope
  • Matte
  • Heavy Plex
  • 1"
SWFA: $209.95
More%20Info... Buy%20Now
Leupold 2.5x28 FX-II Scout Scope
Aimpoint red dots   etc.

There seems to be a surge in scout type rifles. 
Since these scout rifles seem to be quite handy stalking rifles it would seem that there would be more options for optics that one might use on such a firearm requiring extended eye relief.  What do you guys use and how well do you like the scout rifle type set up.
With the recent demise of the Winchester model 94 lever guns these light short bolt guns with moderately strong cartridges seem to offer a lot of utility for stalking.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/17/2008 at 08:51

set doesn't necessary need to be used for hunting, although it really shines, and doesn't need to have a power in the optic.

Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/17/2008 at 14:38
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

200269 Burris%202.75x20%20Scout%20Scope%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20 Burris 2.75x20 Scout Scope
  • Matte
  • Heavy Plex
  • 1"
SWFA: $209.95
More%20Info... Buy%20Now
Leupold 2.5x28 FX-II Scout Scope
Aimpoint red dots   etc.

There seems to be a surge in scout type rifles. 
Since these scout rifles seem to be quite handy stalking rifles it would seem that there would be more options for optics that one might use on such a firearm requiring extended eye relief.  What do you guys use and how well do you like the scout rifle type set up.
With the recent demise of the Winchester model 94 lever guns these light short bolt guns with moderately strong cartridges seem to offer a lot of utility for stalking.
.....................Glad you asked!!!!.......Naughty..............Are you contemplating on getting one; a scout rifle?

Mounted on the barrel in the scout position on my 300 WSM Ruger Frontier w/16.5" barrel, sits the 2.5-8x28 Nikon Monarch EER UCC! (had a conventionally mounted 4200). The Nikon does the job very well and can also double as a revolver scope! Regardless of the shorter barrel, I chose this Monarch scout because my 300 is not exactly what you would call a shorter to medium range cartridge by any means! It is an outstanding long range big game shooter too! On other scout rifles with lesser powered calibers and range, the two other lower powered fixed scout scopes from Burris and Leupold IMO, would be ideal, even for shots out to 300-350 yards.

Compared to a heavier rifle with a conventionally mounted scope?? Well! Let`s just say that after you hunt with a scout rifle using a scout scope, one can easily become VERY spoiled and hard pressed to want to go back to a conventional rig!

Here are the advantages with a scout rifle and scout scope set up!
        1) Rifles are shorter in OAL and lighter for quicker and better handling with better manuverability. Easier to carry, pack in any terrain (especially in thicker brush) and will store easily behind any truck seat.  
        2) With the exception of longer range varmit hunting, the scouts are extremely adaptable to all styles of hunting in any terrain; from stands, stalking etc. (In my case, for varmits, I`d simply change to a higher powered conventional scope. I can mount both ways on my Frontier; conventional and scout style, but as of now, available to do so with the Ruger Frontiers only!
        3) In my Ruger`s case, the shorter LOP at 12.5" makes for faster shouldering when needed when your game surprises you and speed is absolutely critical.
        4) Compared to conventional scopes, scout scopes are much faster in acquiring the targets, stationary or moving because you have the capability to keep both eyes open for acquiring and aiming. The brain receives a quicker signal. The FOV`s are better too because both eyes remain open.
        5) In the scout position, one can never get scope whacked due to recoil!!
        6) No scope over the receiver!! Makes for easier and faster access for reloading and better access for cleaning. Nothing there for any extracted casings to hit either. You can also carry the rifle by the receiver with the palm of the hand, which is a much easier carrying alternative and balances better.
        7) Depending on the scout scope bases, you can also adapt to even faster red dot sights. My Frontier allows for that as well (mounting rail from Ruger), which offers even more outstanding hunting versatility!
        8) Percentage wise, there is very little loss in velocity or ballistic performance using shorter barrels on scout rifles! With todays modern powders and depending on the reload, the difference in overall velocity between my 16.5" 300 WSM vs a 24" 300 WSM that I`ve chrono`d tested, is only 3.6% to 4.5%; or only a 15 to 30 fps. loss, per inch, of shorter barrel length. Scout rifles with 20" tubes will have even less a percentage of velocity loss! NO animal will ever know the difference!!!
         9) Yep! Shorter barrels are inherently more accurate than longer tubes!!Shocked......That`s right! See article @ shootingtimes.com,,,"long guns" "Short Answer about Scout Styled Rifles"......Simply put! Any barrel that is shorter will have less harmonic resonance because there is less barrel length to resonate or vibrate (a law of physics as it relates to ballistics). The heavier, thicker bull type barrels are designed to cut down on this harmonic resonance or vibrations, NOT ON BARREL HEAT, as so many are inclined to believe.........However! As with any barrel; whether shorter, longer, thinner or otherwise, more of a rapid fire is not a good idea as accuracy and perhaps some barrel life will suffer! I have lost nothing in the accuracy dept. vs the longer tube and in some cases, my groups are
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2008 at 13:07
U- Frnd...............At this time and based on the response, I think that Dale and I are the only two around here with scout scope/rifles set ups! Their popularity may be growing, but perhaps not on this OT forum??............Except for the older articles, you don`t see (or at least I don`t), any recent or consistent written press out there about the scout scope/rifles set ups............Recently however from my gun shop, I did take home the new collector`s edition "2008 Ruger Buyers Guide and Catalog" magazine. Starting on page 63, there is a 5 page piece about (my exact rifle), the 300 WSM M77 Frontier written by Wayne Van Zwoll. The only difference with his vs mine is that he uses the 2.5x Leupy scout............He details w/pics, his New Zealand big stag hunt using the Frontier. No doubt, any other similiar scout set up would have performed just as well............. 
survivorjl View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote survivorjl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/20/2008 at 21:53
I've got an SKS with a simmons 2x20 handgun scope mounted on the hand guard. I used a Tapco replacement gas tube the has a flimsy plastic handguard pinned to it with an accesory rail along the top. I stiffened it up by running a piece of metal down the center of the rail with notches filed into it for the cross piece on the rings. The rings themselves basically hold it in place.

With these added touches it makes for a really solid mount that after a couple hundred rounds and some hikes through some rugged country and many bumpy pickup rides is still holding zero.

The eer scope really makes what is otherwise a really uncomfortable awkward rifle into a fast handling fun rifle to shoot. Also tightened up hundred yard groups considerably. From 5 moa to a consistant 3.5 moa. Still not a tack driver but definitely a big improvement. 

Also, the new Savage catalog under the customshop page lists the model 10 in a scout configuration. Nice looking rifle!
He who endures until the end...
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2008 at 08:56
as already mentioned the scout is not recognized as a format. the biggest problem is that there are no really good scopes in scout-- something like a 30 mm uso or an acog. built as rugged as the concept of the gun implies. a chevron illuminated reticle would make sense, or the new leo prismatic if the ever get it going.

Edited by Dale Clifford - June/21/2008 at 08:57
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2008 at 22:12
Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

as already mentioned the scout is not recognized as a format. the biggest problem is that there are no really good scopes in scout-- something like a 30 mm uso or an acog. built as rugged as the concept of the gun implies. a chevron illuminated reticle would make sense, or the new leo prismatic if the ever get it going.
.......There are certainly not enough scouts being offered. Probably because there isn`t enough of a market yet to offer more. Most scopes sold are conventional ones and very few gun makers offer a scout set-up.....In any event, my 2.5-8x28 Nikon Monarch UCC EER is about the equivalent to a 4200 or a VX3 and it works like a charm!...I wish Trijicon made one though!! I`d really like that one! 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic