OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Zeiss 3 X 9 Diavari C

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote traub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zeiss 3 X 9 Diavari C
    Posted: June/16/2008 at 02:41
I have an older Zeiss 6X Diavari C compact scope which I feel is an excellent scope. 

I may have an opportunity to purchase a Zeiss 3 X 9 Diavari C scope which I would like to use on an older Sako Vixen in .223 Remington.  Does anyone have an idea of what this scope is worth in new condition?  Also, any opinions or experience with this scope since it's a variable scope and not a fixed power?  Both of these scopes are over 20 years old.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2008 at 17:09
A few years back (8-10) this scope sold for about $500.00 at many outlets and chain stores,  I still see them being sold used from $350.00 up to about $750.00.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2008 at 17:49
I have seen them trying to ask $1200 for them.  ( That is TWELVE HUNDRED DOLLARS!  USED!!)    Shocked
traub View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote traub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2008 at 14:56

Why would someone ask $1,200.00 for one of these scopes?  What is so unique or special about them? 

I assume that for $1,200.00 better or higher tech scope can be obtained today.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2008 at 15:11
The difference being that scope is a German made scope and the ones selling for 500 ish are assembled in the USA. I believe the transition toof place somewhere around the late 90's. The German made scopes, I believe, were 3-9x42 and had the "T" coatings, which are the best coatings from Zeiss. The 3-9x36 was the model that was made here and had "MC" coatings, same as the Conquest series.

Roy

Edited by Roy Finn - June/18/2008 at 15:17
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2008 at 16:06
Well, initially the 3X9X36 had the T* coatings and was made in Germany.  In the mid ninties Zeiss started building them here in the USA--and those USA assembled scopes had the MC coating....but, I believe, the price was STILL $500.   THEN, Zeiss began to practically DOUBLE the price of the GERMAN stuff and discontinued  the 3X9X36 and came out with the MC coated Conquest line.

The OLD T* coated German 3X9X36 prices have gone through the roof.   
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2008 at 16:40
Didn't know they made a 3-9x36 and a 3-9x42 with the "T" coatings, both from Germany. I learned something.

Roy
pedi View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pedi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2008 at 20:27
FWIW, IMO the Zeiss 3-9x36 is the best scope going in the 36 mm class.  It's only sins are weight-it comes in at around 15 oz, and the eyepiece, which is a bit bulky.  In other respects it absolutely body slams the other 36 mm scopes, including the Swaro and the VX III, all of which I have used.  The field of view, resolution, light transmission and stoutness of the Zeiss far excceds the other two.  The scope is built like a tank, and I wouldn't hesitate for a second to put that scope on a 375 H&H, which is more than I can say for the Swaro.  The scopes sell on ebay for MORE than they originally cost 10 years ago.  There are very few rifle scopes that appreciate in value over time.  At this rate, these Zeiss scopes are a better investment than Ford stock!  The German version of the 3-9x36 is slightly, and I mean very slightly better, but the tube length is quite short, while the American made version has a generous tube length.  Overall I like the American version better.  The 3-9x42 is an entirely different cat-IMO it was the best 3-9 in a one inch tube going, but the $1200 price tag dealt it a death blow.  It was a bit bulky at 13.5 inches, but the optics, precision of windage and elevation adjustments, 3.8 inches of eye relief, and durability were superb, and IMO were and are superior to the Swaro A line.  The Conquest is a great scope, but it is not in the same league as its older brothers. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic