OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Perfect Scope for Model 7

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2008 at 17:49
Originally posted by claytonkolb claytonkolb wrote:

I have a real nice stainless Remington Model 7 rifle in 300 saum and looking for the perfect scope for it.  The scope has to be  light and compact, like the rifle and balance the rifle out.  Price is not really a issue, but I am not one to waste money if I can help it.   I intend to use the rifle for elk hunting in think brush/rainforests we have here in Washington state.  Here are some models I had in mind:

Bushnell's 1.24-4x24 Elite 4200 Rifle Scope
Leupold 2-7x33 European 30mm
Leupold 1.5x20 Vx-iii 30mm
Leupold 1.75-6x32 Vx-iii

....................Since your original post above says that you would like a more compact and lighter scope and since your hunting elk will be in thicker brush and rain forests, then at the most, a 6X on the high end will be more than adequate for just such a purpose............ In those conditions your shots should certainly be within 200 yards and if you ever venture out and do some plains hunting, the 5X or 6X on the high end for deer and elk, is good out to 400 to 500 yards!.....When you start getting into the Zeiss`Kahles, and other 3x9`s and so on, your scope weight gets into the 13 to 14 oz. and higher weight range..............More magnification= more weight and dimension. Soon, before you know it, your idea of a compact or what you may wind up with, is not a compact any more!  
Mojo View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman
All Mojo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2008 at 21:20
Since the VXIII is .2" inches longer and weighs .2 oz more than the VXIII 1.75-6 Leupold, and has a 36mm vs. 32mm objective, it sure makes sense to me to go with the  2.5-8 X36, as I posted previously.  What advantage does the 1.75-6 have over it? 

Mojo  
MOJO
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2008 at 23:35
Originally posted by Mojo Mojo wrote:

Since the VXIII is .2" inches longer and weighs .2 oz more than the VXIII 1.75-6 Leupold, and has a 36mm vs. 32mm objective, it sure makes sense to me to go with the  2.5-8 X36, as I posted previously.  What advantage does the 1.75-6 have over it? 

Mojo  
...OOOOPS! I forgot about THAT one!!!..............Squeezer!..Chair%20HitMojo!!
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/15/2008 at 09:05
Originally posted by Mojo Mojo wrote:

Mojo  

I think the only advantage the 1.75-6 has over the 2.5-8 is more ring spacing. The former will mount on long actions with no problem.  The 2.5-8 is perfect for a M7 Remy.
Mojo View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman
All Mojo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/15/2008 at 11:24
Agreed on the ring spacing, there, tahqua.  Squeezer must have had a "senior moment" as I have once in awhile.  No 10 lashings with a wet noodle necessary! 

Mojo
MOJO
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/15/2008 at 13:20

claytonkolb has never been back.  I think he forgot about the thread he posted.

tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/15/2008 at 14:46
At least we have gotten some mileage out of it. It's always fun to discuss these things with you guys.
Mojo View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman
All Mojo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/15/2008 at 20:52
X2,  tahqua.
MOJO
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/15/2008 at 21:19
Originally posted by tahqua tahqua wrote:

I think the only advantage the 1.75-6 has over the 2.5-8 is more ring spacing.

And greater FOV on the low end.  At 1.75X, you can also aim with both eyes open.

When the 1.75-6X32 was first introduced in the Vari-X III line, it was much shorter than it is today, making it an extremely compact scope.  At that time, this scope offered a significant advantage in compactness over the 2.5-8, but the tube was short, so ring spacing was critical with many rifles, as can be seen in these pics of my old 1.75-6 on my customized short action M77 Mk II below.  I really loved this scope because it looked so nice on small, trim rifles.  Leupold later lengthened the tube because of the ring spacing issues, with today's VX-III version offering no significant advantage in compactness over the 2.5-8X36.  So, between the two current models, I would personally get the 2.5-8X36.

Edited by RifleDude - June/15/2008 at 21:22
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/15/2008 at 21:46
nice stick ted, what cal is it??
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/15/2008 at 21:51
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

nice stick ted, what cal is it??

7-08 with a Shilen barrel, blue titanium Cerakote finish, S&K rings, Timney trigger, laminated stock from Boyd's blank I inletted, shaped and finished myself w/ebony forend tip and steel grip cap.

Edited by RifleDude - June/15/2008 at 21:52
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/15/2008 at 21:52
im surprised to see you with an m77 in your collection, i know im not a huge mkII fan but ive owned 2 of them now, but damn dude yours looks awesome.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/15/2008 at 22:16
Well, since we're already off-topic, I actually have 3 M77's.  I like the M77 action pretty well; I'm just not real fond of the barrels used, as accuracy from the Rugers I've played with have been more hit and miss than other brands.  That 7-08 started life from an action off one of the first M77 stainless models with the ugly synthetic stocks with the hollowed out butt secion.  It was one of the first M77 MKII's from the early 1990's before they added controlled round feeding, but I machined off the lower section of the bolt face wall to match the new bolt face design and installed the newer extractor to convert it to CRF.

Here's another custom stocked M77 first generation (tang safety style) in .25-06.  I've never even scoped it.  Pics simply don't do justice to the stunning piece of English walnut it wears, featuring Rosewood forend tip and grip cap and shadowline cheekpiece...

Edited by RifleDude - June/15/2008 at 22:20
Ted

BayouBuck View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BayouBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2008 at 11:49
Rifle dude,
Are you doing this work your self, I have an M77 (tang safety) in .270 that sat in water for 2 weeks after katrina. I am looking for a new stock and barrel to bring it back to life. As for the model 7 this post was talking about earlier I too would use the VXIII 2.5-8x36. Guys here at the OT recommended it for my BLR .308 and I could not be more happy with the preformance and balance it has on this rig.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2008 at 13:21
Bayou,
I used to do stock work and general gunsmithing, but no more, as I no longer have an FFL, which is necessary for any gun part wearing a serial number to be shipped to me.  I did do the laminated stock on the previous page, but didn't do the stock work on the above rifle; I bought it from an old man years ago who had a huge supply of high-grade Claro and English walnut blanks stored at his house.  I don't know who made that stock, but whoever it was, they knew what they were doing.
Ted

Mojo View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman
All Mojo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2008 at 17:18
Ted, I know that you were dubbed Mr. Kahles, probably by pyro, but if that .25:06 ever wears a scope,  it deserves a Z6.  Real nice!

Mojo
MOJO
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2008 at 17:46
A really fantastic piece of wood there, Ted.  That is amazing looking.  Go scope it up and run through the stickers hog-huntin'!!      Bucky
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2008 at 18:49
That looks beautiful. The grain has nice marbling on the cheek piece and the checkering looks sharp.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2008 at 19:45
RifleDude

Bow
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2008 at 20:07
Ted, that is one sharp looking stick of lumber you have there.

Roy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic