OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Name Your Favorite Cartridge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Name Your Favorite Cartridge
    Posted: June/12/2008 at 11:41
American%20Flag
Just to open up another can of proverbial worms.....What's you favorite cartridge??? For me , I am a big fan of the 45/70. I really get a kick out of launching 350grains downrange at 2150fps ( Buffalo bore stuff) from a lever action ( my favorite style of firearm-- another topic for another day) . I've taken everything from Fox to Black bear with this classic old round, and never had to take a second shot. You can try black powder style loads, all the way up to the Hornadys new Leverevolution rounds, plus Buffalo Bore and Garrett hot loads. I met a feller at the range that has an exposed hammer double rifle in 45/70 that he uses to take  hogs , and it is too cool. So whether it be a Guide Gun Squeezer special, or my XLR with a 24" inch barrel, it's useful up close for just about anything or out to 250 yd.s plus  .

Chime in .... 270's ( okay ,,maybe not Pyro), 30-06's, Wby's ..name your poison......Question

Edited by martin3175 - June/12/2008 at 11:47
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/12/2008 at 11:55
Get%20Your%20Popcorn%20Ready..........Here we go!!...........We can`t have two favorites???.............
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/12/2008 at 12:05

Like your style martin3175, always loved the 45-70. Will have to vote for my 44 mag though - all I have used for deer hunting for the last 35 years (have fun with many others but this is my dogging rifle).

God save the Empire!
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/12/2008 at 12:19
Ok!...........Trying to name one favorite cartridge for some, is like trying to eat only one chip with dip, one chocolate chip cookie, drinking only one beerBoozer or eating only one bite of a juicy thick steak when hungry!! Eat%20and%20Drink..................300 WSM & 300 Win.....and.......only one .375!...........The .375 Ruger!.....................Sorry! I couldn`t keep it at just one!! Coffee
mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/12/2008 at 12:21
.260 Rem is all I need.
No man on his deathbed ever said "I wish I'd made more money".
martin3175 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/12/2008 at 12:52
Don't get me wrong ,,variety is the spice of life ( don't tell the Mrs. ),,, but if I had to just keep one,,it'd be my 45/70
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/12/2008 at 14:05
Originally posted by martin3175 martin3175 wrote:

Don't get me wrong ,,variety is the spice of life ( don't tell the Mrs. ),,, but if I had to just keep one,,it'd be my 45/70
............OK then!!! I`ll pick just one and why!!!!.............Because of its reloading versatility and for its capabilities for longer range plains and closer quarters hunting; for taking game from hogs to deer, to elk, to moose, to bison, all the bears ie. the dangerous ones; from all African plains game up to and including the most dangerous of African game;,,,,,,,,,the .375 caliber is the most versatile and will simply do it all!...........My favorite .375 of course, but in a "Squeezer Special",,, is the .375 Ruger!............Big%20Grin 
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/12/2008 at 15:15

45/70 on a fox?  Jezzz, cleaned, gutted and skined all in one stroke.  LOL

"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/12/2008 at 15:25
   .25-06 !!

til later
ckk1106 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/12/2008 at 15:45
I only own 3 different rifles, so I'm gonna have to go with the only one that I've ever killed anything with.  338 win mag.  
Ironhorse View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ironhorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/12/2008 at 15:52
  One of my favorites.... My Marlin .50 Alaskan... 2100 with a 450grain bullet!!
"If you ever find that you only have an hour to live ....
spend it with a liberal and it will seem like a year."
- Rush Limbaugh
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/12/2008 at 17:01
.264win
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Average Joe View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Average Joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/12/2008 at 17:32
7mm rem magnum
I'm classic shag nasty type.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/12/2008 at 17:37
Hmmm.  Naming a favorite cartridge is like a auto mechanic saying his favorite tool is the 9/16" wrench. It might be the tool he uses most, but he can't perform every repair with just that tool. I probably shoot more 22lr than anything but it don't give me that tingly feeling like a 190gr SMK launched at a plate 500yds away from a 300Win Mag. The 223 is next in use because I'm using it in more matches now and I have to practice. The 7.62NATO is next because it's the most versitile for me but it's not as easy to reload as the 223.
We are talking about just rifle cartridges; right.
OK, OK, it's the three oh twentythree ought fifty seven special. Dang it, sorry, just can't answer this one.Shoot%20Self
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/12/2008 at 17:58
7mm-08... this week.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/12/2008 at 18:11
Favorite cartridge for what???

Roy
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/12/2008 at 18:57
I would have to go with the 300 Win Mag.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
OLRVRAT View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OLRVRAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/12/2008 at 20:15
 22-250
 Own more of them than any other cartridge, so it must be my favorite!
martin3175 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/12/2008 at 20:49
45/70 on a fox..Bullet never expanded--straight through ( 350 gr penetrator from Buffalo Bore) dropped like a rock..

Roy-- Not necessarily a specific round for a specific purpose ,, just the one that conjures up the most grins ... Roll%20Eyes..For instance-- you work out a day to go to the range, and not for any reason other than to put a few downrange,,what do you take just for the fun of it ?
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/12/2008 at 21:19
Probably my 300WM, but my 280 Ackley is a pleasure to shoot as well. Can't say my Husky custom 06 is falling out of favor either. Not trying to be a smart azz, but those are my top picks. I guess it's kind of like what Ted stated, well this week it would be..............

Roy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
  Share Topic