OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

bushnell 3200 vs Nikon monarch

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: bushnell 3200 vs Nikon monarch
    Posted: June/12/2008 at 11:30
Hey guys just baught a Tikka T3 .223 left had synthetic ss. Nice gun now i need to get a scope i've done alot of reading on this forum seems to me that if i'm looking for value and performance that Nikon or bushnell 3200 would be a good choice.  Most hunting will be coyotes and groundhogs, squirles.  I'm looking at a scope that is in between 3-400 since my gun is with about 700, i don't need anything too fancy but would like good optics to shoot out to 400 yds if i get good enough. Thinking of something 4-12x40? I live in canada not too many places in southern on. seem to sell Nikon? Any help would be great, this is a great forum. Thanks in advance.
thinkingman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thinkingman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/12/2008 at 11:50
Nikon Monarch is alot more scope for similar $.
mercenary1947 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/12/2008 at 12:15
 Nikon is way beyond that 3200 . Go for the Nikon .....
One Shot One Kill .... *S.O.F * Head Shots Only
               SWFAM
sholling View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sholling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/12/2008 at 12:24
Congratulations on the Tikka! I own two, a T3 Like in 300WM and a T3 Super Varmint in .223. I mounted a Burris 3-10x40 Signature Select on my T3 Lite using a DNZ mount/ring combination. I highly recommend the DNZ setup over the rings Tikka supplies.

I'm no varmint hunter but just guessing I would think a 3-10/12 would be fine for coyotes, but a 4-16 might be a minimum ground hogs at 400 yards. I'd say if you can swing a Bushnell Elite 4200 get one. I have a 6-24x50 on my 223. If not the Nikon Monarch is a heck of a scope.

Chuck Hawks' ratings

NRA, SAF, & CRPA life member
Member Madison Society & Revolutionary War Veteran Association (Project Appleseed)

Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill. ;)
cubb View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/12/2008 at 13:38
Thanks for info guys i bet that gun shoots as good as it looks, cool. any others?
cubb View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/12/2008 at 13:55
also, do i need an adjustable objective lense?
miiller View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/12/2008 at 19:40
Hey man just what i have seen from bushnell is that they have great scopes but they dont have the reticle selection that nikon does and to me thats big.  I was going to go with a 4200 elite but then i got to looking at nikon and they have such a wide selection that I have completely changed my mind.  All depends on what your looking for though.
sholling View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sholling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2008 at 11:45
Originally posted by cubb cubb wrote:

also, do i need an adjustable objective lense?
Most everything that as a maximum magnification over 12x will either have an adjustable objective (AO) or side focus (SF). They do the same thing but side focus is a lot more convenient and a little more expensive. What they do is is two fold... they let you fine tune the focus and dial out parallax error at the same time. Boiling a 2000 word description down to a single sentence - parallax error can cause the cross hairs to be slightly off target. Not enough to effect hunters but enough that AO or SF is a must for any serious target shooting.  My rule of thumb - hunting  only scopes under 12x AO/SF is a pain and I don't want to deal with it. All of my target scopes have AO or SF.

Since nobody else has addressed this let's look at power. Chuck Hawks said it better than I can in this article.
NRA, SAF, & CRPA life member
Member Madison Society & Revolutionary War Veteran Association (Project Appleseed)

Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill. ;)
cubb View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/15/2008 at 22:08
Thanks for the great info guys. Made my decision on the weekend i purchased a bushnell elite 3200 4-12x40 should fit the bill. thanks again.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic