OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Nikon BDC

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parson257 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nikon BDC
    Posted: June/11/2008 at 15:06
Help me with my choice of a new scope for a new elk rifle for this fall.

I'm used to the Burris Ballistic Plex at longer ranges having talken pronghorn, mulie and exotics with one on my .270. The lower cost of Nikon Monarchs in the 3x12 range make them attractive to me as compared with the cost of 3x13 Burris Signature Select or Leupold's w/ Boone & Crockett reticles. But the idea of a reticle that covers 2 MOA at longer ranges makes me cringe.

Can someone who uses the BDC let me know how they work out in the field.

P.S. And I know that we can get into the whole issue of long range shooting but I'd rather not fight that battle in this thread if we can avoid it.

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2008 at 15:57
Let me make a suggestion:  go to this  web site:     http://www.kentonindustries.com/
realize that balistic reticles only work at the highest power of the scope if the scope is a second focal plane.   A FFP (first focal plane) scope will have accurate hold over at any power.  I have  this FFP scope and am very happy with it:
LEU60030 Leupold%203.5-10x40%20Mark%204%20LR/T%2030mm%20Riflescope%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20 Leupold 3.5-10x40 Mark 4 LR/T 30mm Riflescope
  • Matte
  • 1st Focal Plane Tactical Milling Reticle
  • 30mm
  • Side Focus
  • M1 Target Knobs
  • Free Leupold Flip-Open Lens Covers
SWFA: $1,299.95
More%20Info...
I realize that it may not be the type of scope you are looking for so I will suggest another way to gain the ability to compensate for trajectory at known distances :
8327 Kahles 3-10x50 Helia CL Multizero 51723, Matte finish, plex reticle, 1" tube, side focus, fast focus eye piece, Allows you to zero your scope at five different ranges, no ring marks, close to new condition. $1,315.00 $749.95
these multi zero Kahles scopes are fantastic glass and Samplelist has some lightly used ones at a good value. The power the scope is at will not affect its ability to use a selected mark for a known distance  3x poi will be same as 10x poi.

As for your original question I have an Omega with BDC and at 200 yds 2moa will be 4 inches and quite useable at that distance but if you were at 600 yds the same 2moa would be 12 inches and thats rather sloppy but it is workable because you just figure where the center of the circle is. The advantage of the  Nikon circles is that targets are often circles which works out nicely on the range.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2008 at 16:40
Welcome to Optics Talk.

I have used the BDC only on small targets, but with decent results.

This is a link to the SWFA gang shooting with various rifles, calibers, shooters and they seemed to do well.

This may help explain how it works a little better.

Glad your here!!
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
mercenary1947 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2008 at 21:35
 I downloaded the video .... now if I just knew who was who .
One Shot One Kill .... *S.O.F * Head Shots Only
               SWFAM
parson257 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parson257 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/12/2008 at 07:32
Thanks for the quick replys. I had already searched the forum and seen both the video and explanation of the BDC reticle.

Since my primary use for this rifle/scope will be hunting, I'd still like to hear about the BDC in a hunting context. As was said, trying to center your POI in a 12 inch circle at 600 yards from a field position does seem less than precise.

Any input is appreciated.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/12/2008 at 08:22
I own and have used the Nikon Laser IRT a bit, not as extensively as I would like and used Monarch 2.5-10 and 4-16.  However, I have not really used them beyond 300...have not been to the 500yd range in a while.  All three were used on 30-06 and the IRT also on .220 Swift Etronx.  On the Etronx, it was not a problem to hold under .5MOA out to 300.  I did set up some targets ranged out to 500 with the IRT, fired a couple of groups and was still slightly under .5MOA with a "field rest", backpack and log.  However, that was not a real test, only a couple of groups and I would not say it was "reliable".  Wind conditions were ideal, early morning, no air movement whatsoever, perfect temp, everything just right.  Made me feel good, though.  One of those "bragging rights" things. 
All of the scopes, on the 30-06 were at 1MOA out to 300, and on that rifle, that is the best I can do.  It just won't group any better.  I am in process of rebarreling, but probably next year before I complete.  Out to 300 the reticles were dead on, from bench rest.  I am using some Greek and Korean military ammo (bought 1000rnds of each at $.08/rnd), and probably shot (no notes with me here) 90 rounds on the initial "zeroing" effort getting everything adjusted and recorded. (some of that was "play", but I spent two days getting used to the BDC reticle) After that, it (or, I had learned enough to be) was consistent.  Because the rifle barrel is so flakey, I only shoot 3rnd groups when going for "grouping".  Unless you wait a loooong time between shots, it gets really "out there" on a 5 round group.  Cold shot is always dead center.  Before I changed stocks, it was REALLY tough to get a 4in group at 100yd.  But I ramble, you are interested in the Nikon BDC.  It works extremely well for me.  I would buy another, but am holding out for a "superior" optic.  I love my IRT and my friends love their Monarchs.  All have taken game.  One friend buys NO meat... eats no meat he doesn't kill.  He has taken several deer with the Monarch from 25 to over 300 yards and (which is saying a lot because he is not really a very good shot... misses a lot, been hunting all his life and still gets "buck fever" every time he gets a deer in his sights) prefers to use that scope. 
It holds zero very well.  I have swapped the IRT regularly between the Etronx and the -06 and am generally zeroed in 1 shot using the tables I have developed.  However, I have decided to "permanently mount" the IRT on the Etronx.  Recently (last weekend) shot a hog with it, 81 yds "ranged" dropped, no movement.
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
faceplant View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote faceplant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2008 at 13:48
I have only used one on paper but it worked reasonably well out to the 500yds at my range. The circles were not exact but there are many parts on them that you can use for aiming points. It is not a fine reticel but for antelope size game I think it would work fine. I will let you know this fall.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic