OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Winter Sticks

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Winter Sticks
    Posted: June/10/2008 at 19:24

Here's a photo of my 2 newest projects, the top rifle is a Kimber of Oregon Bgr 89 in .280 Rem. with Leupold vx3 scope.  The 2nd is a Kimber Montana in .260 rem. with Kahles scope.

Edited by lucytuma - June/10/2008 at 21:11
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2008 at 19:37
Beautiful rifles!  Thunbs%20Up  How do they shoot?
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
Mojo View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman
All Mojo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2008 at 19:38
Nice rigs there Lucytuma!  Those Wisconsin deer don't have a chance.  I'd be afraid to take that .280 in the field and get it scuffed up, though.  Too nice!

Mojo
MOJO
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2008 at 19:47
Haven't had a chance to get to the range yet, either working, out of town or raining, I need a break.  Mojo, nothing is too beautiful to take to the woods.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Mojo View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman
All Mojo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2008 at 20:05
We have really had the weather this year Lucytuma!  If i don't get thunderstormed out on Thursday, I am planning on taking my own .280 out with the new KX 4D on it.  Now I need to develop a 140 grain load for it,  probably with Accubonds and a healthy dose of Reloader 19 or IMR 4831.  I am set on my 150's and 160's.

Mojo
MOJO
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2008 at 20:08
I'm going to try Seirra 140gr, with either r19 or h4831sc.
Mojo View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman
All Mojo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2008 at 20:15
I've heard good things about the h4831sc.  a little easier loading.   The RL19 looks too good to be true.  I was disappointed with the RL22 with 150 gr.

Mojo
MOJO
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2008 at 20:19
I've heard alot of good things about IMR4831, I don't have any experience with any IMR powders, but if r19 or h4831sc don't group well, i'll be running to the store for s.ome imr4831
Jeff H. View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff H. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2008 at 20:23
very nice! i'm especially intereted in hearing how that 84M montana in .260 shoots.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2008 at 20:24
I also wanted to throw Ted (rifledude) a thanks, with his help and knowledge on the kimber of oregon rifle.
Mojo View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman
All Mojo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2008 at 20:34
Well Lucytuma, my 150 gr. ballistic tips did okay with the IMR 4831, but I needed to back off the maximum load,  for accuracy sake at MOA.  This put me at around 2920 vel. with my 22"

I am also a believer in heaviest bullets, and for 160 gr., it was IMR 7828, a hands down winner, an even slower burner than RL 22, which was no competition for it.   

Hope I can save you some time at the reloading bench, and $ too.

Mojo      

MOJO
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2008 at 20:35
VERY nice rifles, Jeff!  First class all the way, my friend!

Wouldn't mind seeing some closeups of the K of O M89 rifle..Big%20Grin

I have a K of O M82 SuperAmerica .22 that I absolutely cherish, and it's breathtakingly beautiful.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2008 at 20:36
I'm hoping to push a 140gr. at about 2925-2950 fps.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2008 at 20:43
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2008 at 20:44
Mojo View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman
All Mojo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2008 at 20:46
Those Sierra boattails fly nicely, at least they do in my .270,  130gr and 150gr, so you should do well with them.  Your expectations for velocity should be spot on, based on what I have done with 160 at 2860 and 150 at 2920.  Maybe a tad better if 24" barrel.

Mojo
MOJO
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2008 at 20:51
Man, that's really nice, Jeff!  It looks like it's in excellent condition too!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2008 at 20:56

One safe ding that i'm going to try and iron out, but other than that I'm fairly happy.

Mojo View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman
All Mojo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2008 at 20:57
Upon further close up review, I was right the first time Jeff.  At least pick your days to take that rifle into the field!  that thing is way too nice for an old river rat like me.  And stay away from those barbed wire fences already!!!

Mojo 
MOJO
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2008 at 21:09
Very classy, Jeff!

Doug
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic