OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Mounts & Accessories > Rings and bases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

338 Fed.breakingleupold rings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bdb796 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 338 Fed.breakingleupold rings
    Posted: June/10/2008 at 09:27

Have a kimber in the new 338 fed. installed a zeiss 3x9x40 with leupold medium rings.

Hunted with this set up last deer season with no issues.
At the range the other day and the windage ears sheared right off and out of the screws.
I installed this scope so thinking i may have messed this up brought it to my local gun shop and had them install new rings , again leupold , back to the range and after 12 rounds the same thing happens.
The guys at the gun shop say they have never seen this and now are saying i could use extension rings , mounting the offset ring tight to the bell or center to brace and stop the scope from pushing forward.
Has any one heard of this?

supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2008 at 09:40
Get some of these and it will solve your problems.  Those type of Leupold bases/rings are somewhat of a weak design I could definitely see that happen.  I have the same rings and base on my 45-70 and just keep waiting for that to happen, but so far so good.

http://www.swfa.com/c-1713-kimber.aspx
http://www.swfa.com/pc-11376-1747-warne-maxima-permanent-attach-1-rings.aspx
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2008 at 18:04
Never had a problem with leupold rings yet, though I did have 2 sets of burris rings come apart on my 35 whelen. 
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2008 at 18:06
Originally posted by lucytuma lucytuma wrote:

Never had a problem with leupold rings yet, though I did have 2 sets of burris rings come apart on my 35 whelen. 

Me either.
I ran Leupold ring mounts on my Sako .300 WM with no problems.

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2008 at 08:46
Hmm, stick with Warne or Talley vertically split rings and you will never have a problem, hopefully.Smile
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2008 at 08:47
CT, is that a pic of you in your avatar?  You know us North Carolinian's, especially those out west look a little strange for certain reasons.

Edited by Dolphin - June/11/2008 at 08:47
bdb796 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bdb796 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2008 at 17:05
Thanks for all input, Zeiss also recommends Warne mounts and rings.
Spoke with  Federal  tody and asked if could send back the 200 grain Fusion ammo i was shooting, so this story is not over yet.

Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2008 at 17:48
The Zeiss bases that are sold are made by Warne.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2008 at 18:03
Originally posted by Dolphin Dolphin wrote:

CT, is that a pic of you in your avatar?  You know us North Carolinian's, especially those out west look a little strange for certain reasons.

Wink
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2008 at 18:10
Pretty obvious Dolphin why the Warden fell for such a handsome looking southern gentleman.
God save the Empire!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2008 at 18:27
Originally posted by Dogger Dogger wrote:

Pretty obvious Dolphin why the Warden fell for such a handsome looking southern gentleman.

As much as I'd like to believe she married me for my good looks, she claims she just got hitched because of my sense of indomitably and my money. Bucky

Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/12/2008 at 07:09
CT, that must be you after a day of shooting.  Kind of parked your pick up on the roof.Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic