OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting, Fishing & General Outdoors > General Hunting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Hunting Africa - Oryx Kudu Springbuck

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hunting Africa - Oryx Kudu Springbuck
    Posted: June/09/2008 at 09:22

Hunting season has finally arrived in South Africa. So my best friend and I packed for Prieska. This is a small town on our north west border. On our list was gemsbuck, kudu and springbuck.
We arrived at camp as the sun was setting. What a beautifull setting under some camelthorn trees. We off loaded and double checked the financial arrangements with the outfitter. Nothing as bad as an argument after the animal was shot.
That night it was bitterly cold, with Jack Frost running ramapant in the camp. Before setting out we zeroed our rifles, and then off to look for impala and springbuck. The veld is typical sand dunes covered with grass and thorn scrub. We hunted from the vehicles. The terrain was deceptive under foot, with the vehicle struggling through the soft sand. Occasional rocky outcrops broke the terrain.
On day one I shot an impala with an impressive head shot. I also shot a springbuck. On day two we shot kudu, gemsbuck and more springbuck.
We had impressed the outfitter no end with our shooting ability the day before. On the second day 4 kudu showed themselves, but he only saw three. I dropped my bull with a clean neck shot, and before my rifle even went down, my friend dropped the second one. the outfitter would not believe that two kudu was down so quickly. As we drove to the spot, he said he would kiss our "you know what". And there the two lay. he could not believe this, and said he knew we know how to shoot, but this is ridiculous.
I am sure you are dying for the pics:
 On the road in my trusty Mazda double cab.

Edited by 8shots - June/09/2008 at 09:33
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2008 at 09:31
Thanks for sharing, and nice pics, Wouter!  Do you have pics of the 2 kudu as well?

BTW -- what temperature qualifies as "bitterly cold" in that part of the world?
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2008 at 09:34
OOPS!  I was posting at the same time you were adding the other pics.  I don't have any knowledge of how to judge a trophy Oryx / Gemsbock, but those sure look like nice ones to me, yours especially!

Thanks again for sharing your adventures with us, friend!Big%20Grin

Edited by RifleDude - June/09/2008 at 09:35
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2008 at 09:35
Ted, just check added pics above. Will chat later. Gotta run.
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2008 at 10:38
AMAZING.  Very nice Wouter. I'll bring my self to take a hunt like that one day. very nice looks like you guys had a good time also.

Thanks for the post.

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2008 at 10:59
Very nice to say the least. Congrats. Looks like an awesome place.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2008 at 11:22
AMAZING HEAD SHOT or I missed the neck and got lucky?
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2008 at 17:50
Thank you so much for sharing your pics with us. Your pictures and stories are fascinating, to say the least.  

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2008 at 18:03
Hey "8" you are one blessed fellow, great pictures and story as always.  Some day I'll get there (Africa), until then I'll have to live my dreams through you.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
ms6852 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ms6852 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2008 at 22:00
What caliber rifle were you shooting?
Always run from a fight...but if they catch you deliver them to hell personally.
ms6852 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ms6852 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2008 at 22:00
btw great pictures
Always run from a fight...but if they catch you deliver them to hell personally.
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2008 at 03:25
Originally posted by ms6852 ms6852 wrote:

What caliber rifle were you shooting?
I was hunting with my 300 H&H loaded with 200gr Sierra gameking. I had the rifle shooting 2 inches high at 100 m. I live on the coast. Inland and at the higher altitude the rifle printed 4 inches high. I had to adjust the sights.
I have not yet chronographed the rounds, but found them disintegrating and losing their core at 150 yd shots. One photograph shows the bullet from the springbuck minus the core. The bullet was recovered under the far side skin.
They are loaded hot, very hot for long distances.
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2008 at 04:08
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Thanks for sharing, and nice pics, Wouter!  Do you have pics of the 2 kudu as well?

BTW -- what temperature qualifies as "bitterly cold" in that part of the world?

Bitterly cold for us is 20-25 deg Fah.
I took this pic of the roof and canopy of my vehicle, covered in morning frost.

8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2008 at 04:14
The river in the pics is the Orange River, which flows halfway across South Africa and flows into the Atlantic. This river mouth is a great source of alluvial diamonds, where it flows through the  bottom of the Namib desert.
The river was briefly turned into a mighty river by me! In the background is the town of Prieska.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2008 at 06:21
another rock solid thread my friend, congrats on the  awesome trophies and the memories im sure for you will stick in your head for many more years.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2008 at 07:21
Sizzling in the pan is gemsbuck fillet. My first. I can personally vouch that they are extremely tasty. The next day we had cold gemsbuck fillet sandwiches for breakfast. Just as nice.

8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2008 at 07:24
Something which created great excitement for us, was when nearing our destination, a kudu was standing in the middle of the road! He jumped the low fence and stood in the thorn thickets. One can see the roadside fence in the foreground with the arrow pointing to the kudu horns, barely visible!!!

8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2008 at 07:27
My friend shot his gemsbuck at exactly the right spot and grazed the heart.

Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2008 at 07:29
I guess that wold do the trick.
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2008 at 07:44
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

OOPS!  I was posting at the same time you were adding the other pics.  I don't have any knowledge of how to judge a trophy Oryx / Gemsbock, but those sure look like nice ones to me, yours especially!

Thanks again for sharing your adventures with us, friend!Big%20Grin

Rowland Ward is 40 inches. Mine measured 36,5 inches. Close enough to be a nice animal!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic