OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Kahles Scope Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjsshl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kahles Scope Question
    Posted: June/09/2008 at 00:37
I just bought a very nice original condition M70 pre-64 in 30-06 that will serve as my all around rifle for deer and the occasional elk, moose, or caribou.  Possibly even a PG African trip.  This is my first rifle, not counting .22LR's and I've also had shotguns, but I've never big game hunted. 

I like the pre-64 Winchesters because my grandfather liked them, and I also appreciate the Mauser style controlled feeding, and I like the 30/06 for the same reason.  I suppose I could have gone with a Sako or a Kimber for the same money, but I don't care.  I like the fact that it's been broken in already and I'm not really that familiar with the others.

I want to use S&K rings and bases and either a Kahles CL 2-7x36 or a CL 3-9x42.  I guess I am wondering which of these would work out better for me.  Not sure there is really much of a difference.  There's also not much of a price difference between them.  I'm going to pass on the MZ feature.  I prefer less complexity whenever possible.

I am curious about your thoughts on the rifle choice and which of these scopes would be the better choice.  I realize that this is sort of a toss up decision.  Thanks for the advice.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2008 at 00:59
The old winchesters were fine rifles made by people who took pride in what they built. Kahles is very good glass but the multizero feature available on some of their scopes is quite  valuable and I prefer a 42 if not a 50 mm objective to gain more light at higher powers. The exit eye pupil (amount of light making it to your eye) is very important 42mm divided by 6 power gives a 7mm exit eye pupil  --- that is as bright as it gets for a young man and as you get older your eyes do not  dialate to as large.  What that means in practice is turn the power ring down to about 6x at dark and looking through the scope will look  brighter.  One of my favorite scopes is a bushnell 4-16x40 and I like a little higher power range because I hunt from a fixed position most of the time and my average shot is 200 yds.  Lots of guys for years have hunted with fixed 4x or fixed 6x scopes but the 3-9 and its twin brother the 2.5-10  is the most popular scope power.  Try a couple of different bullets in the rifle to see what it shoots the best group with then select a particular load and stay with it as different makes of bullets will shoot differently. Shoot no more than 5 or 6 bullets then let the barrel cool down.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic