OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Spotting Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

ziess 3X or spotting scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ziess 3X or spotting scope
    Posted: December/12/2004 at 23:07

I have Ziess 10X40 Victory 11's. I would like to add the tripler or should I Just buy a seperate spotter The idea of not packing a seperate spotter is appealing

are the triplers any good for i have not used one

lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2004 at 19:11
The triplers are quite good for some things.  If you are going to be backpacking into the wilderness very far and need to cut every possible ounce of weight, then a tripler would be a great option.

While it gives you a 30X "spotting scope" it does so at the trade off of a very small objective lense (the 40 mm of your binocular.) This gives you an exit pupil of only 1.3, which means you will not be able to see much at early morning or at twilight.  The small obj. lens will also limit the resolving capability.  So if you need to be carefully evaluating the trophy quality of an animal you will likely be better served with a dedicated spotting scope.
What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2004 at 17:57

The tripler is basically a 3x monocular that someone discovered could be popped into the eye piece of a Zeiss binocular after Swarovski introduced their doubler.

Sounds good on paper but ends up making a nice paper weight.

STWSniper View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote STWSniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2005 at 21:58
LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic