OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Kahles

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SChunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kahles
    Posted: June/08/2008 at 15:27
Two questions, unrelated to one another.

First, what is the advantage/disadvantage of a rail on a scope, such as the Kahles C 3x12x56 on the samplelist?  And for what it's worth, this would possibly be going on a Browning left handed stainless stalker 7mm rem mag.

Second, although I know there is a bino section, for the hunters on the site, what are you using?
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2008 at 23:00
The advantage to the rail is that it provides a very secure, stress-free connection between the mounts and the scope, it gives a wide latitude for mount spacing, and it insures that the reticle is always properly leveled everytime you mount the scope.  Unlike rings, the mounts cannot scratch the tube, since the mount connection is entirely in the rail.  Technically, it also strengthens the tube as well, but that advantage may not come into play when compared to traditional mounting.

As for the bino question, I prefer an 8X roof prism myself, because I think 8X is the best compromise between good resolving power, good field of view, depth of field, sufficiently large exit pupil with 32 and 42mm objective size, and low image shake when viewing.  I do own and use one 10X42 as well, though, and think it is a useful configuration for hunting in wide open terrain.  I think 8X42 is perhaps the best all-around configuration, but I'm starting to prefer 8X32 for its handiness.  A really good 8X32 will give you everything a good 8X42 will in a more compact package, except the smaller exit pupil (4mm vs. 5.25mm) means slightly less relaxed view and light transmission, all else being equal.

The binos I own and use include a Leica Ultravid HD 8X32, Vortex Razor 8X42, Leica Trinovid 8X50, and Kahles 10X42. 

Edited by RifleDude - June/08/2008 at 23:12
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2008 at 07:13
How do you mount the scopes with the built in rails?
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2008 at 09:10
There are special mounts specifically for the rails that slide into one end of the rail's dovetail, then clamp by wedging the dovetail down against the mount.  I haven't seen the Kahles rail, but the Swaro rail has notches that lock it in place against lateral movement.  Most of the rail mounts I've seen then adapt to Weaver style bases, at lest the Zeiss and Swaro rail mounts do.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
SChunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SChunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2008 at 17:03
so RifleDude,
 the samplelist difference in cost of $100 for the rail (cheaper) is a pretty good value?  The mounting also would seemingly be easier. 

Also, how would you rank or order your binos for hunting? I currently own several 8x 42's, and the hunting here in SC gives an hour before and after sunrise, sunset.  But,  it's about time for an upgrade.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2008 at 18:24
Originally posted by SChunter SChunter wrote:

so RifleDude,
 the samplelist difference in cost of $100 for the rail (cheaper) is a pretty good value?  The mounting also would seemingly be easier. 

Also, how would you rank or order your binos for hunting? I currently own several 8x 42's, and the hunting here in SC gives an hour before and after sunrise, sunset.  But,  it's about time for an upgrade.

Yes, I think it is a good value, and yes, I think mounting is somewhat easier, though you may have some difficulty finding Kahles rail mounts.  Unless I'm missing something, I don't see any rail models in their scope lineup anymore.  I haven't seen a Kahles rail model scope in person, so I don't know if either the Zeiss or Swaro rail mounts would fit it.  I would send an email to Kahles Austria and ask them.  I would bet that Legacy Sports, who currently imports Kahles into the US, would be clueless about this.

I would rank my binos in the following order from best to still good:
1.  Leica Ultravid HD 8X32 -- superb optics and extremely handy size.  I find the compactness and excellent optics makes me want to use these the most.
2.  Vortex Razor 8X42 -- excellent optics closely approaching the top of the line alpha bins at an unbeatable price.  They are fully the equal of my Leica Trinovid 8X50, and maybe even slightly better.  At $700 retail, these are in my opinion the best value in high-end binoculars available on the market, bar none.
3.  Leica Trinovid 8X50 -- excellent optics, but very heavy and bulky.  Great for low light hunting from a blind.
4.  Kahles 10X42 -- Doesn't quite match up to the other 3 optically, but has good optics in a fairly compact size and weight.  Very smooth focuser.
Ted

SChunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SChunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2008 at 20:12
Ted,
I had not seen one before seeing the one on the samplelist.  I have yet to see one in their material. 

And the vortex is that good?
Thanks for your replies!
sam
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2008 at 20:26
I have used those same Razor's and they are comparable to my 7x42 Zeiss at a much better price. They are excellent for the cost.
The adjustable eye relief feature is very nice.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2008 at 20:31
I will 3x the razors.  I test drove a pair for a couple weeks and they are excellent binos.  They will be impossible to beat for the money.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2008 at 20:35
Here is a fine review of Razors by member lucznik http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=11194
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2008 at 21:17
Originally posted by SChunter SChunter wrote:

And the vortex is that good?
Thanks for your replies!
sam

Yes, absolutely!  The Razors are incredibly good!  I truly don't believe you can beat their optical performance for less than $1200! 
Ted

SChunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SChunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2008 at 21:28
Thanks--probably the next hunting expense.  Bandito
rokey199 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rokey199 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2008 at 19:41
SCHunter, sent ya a PM
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic