OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

enough gun

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9-point Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2008 at 12:22
great information guys, thanks. I should say right off that my nephew is in his mid 20s(wish I was) 6' 180 or so, so I'm not worried about his shoulder, just want to make sure that with a good shot comes a good clean kill, we'll be in unit 86; ordering maps next week. This is our first elk hunt and as excited as I am now, its going to be a long 16 months.Yippee
Its better to be judged by twelve than carried by six
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2008 at 17:13
I figured he was a youngster...Forget the 30/30 ...go 30-06 or similar as a baseline ,,, Use heavy for caliber rounds that are well constructed ... partitions, scirocco,XP3,and the like..
Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2008 at 17:33
Originally posted by martin3175 martin3175 wrote:

I figured he was a youngster...Forget the 30/30 ...go 30-06 or similar as a baseline ,,, Use heavy for caliber rounds that are well constructed ... partitions, scirocco,XP3,and the like..

Ditto Dude
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2008 at 18:17
get a 7mag and be done with it
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2008 at 18:41
Originally posted by 9-point 9-point wrote:

was wondering if a marlin 30-30 would be enough for elk and at what distance, my nephew will be going with me on a elk hunt in 09 and he recently bought that rifleI know its a good deer gun but not sure about anything bigger.
.................................A 30-30 would not be in my top picks for elk!! The biggest problem would be with the shooting range limitations with this cartridge @ 100-125 yards or less! Why do that??.............

Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2008 at 19:29
Agree with Sgt . D and pyro.  If your budget will allow a new rifle the 7mm Rem Mag in a M77 Ruger is a sweetheart.  It shoots just as easy as Sgt D said, Ruger did a good job on designing the stock.  Personally I find it nicer to shoot with the 175's than my 30.06 Husqvarna with 180's (current favourite is the Federal 175 grain Trophy Bonded Bear Claw)
God save the Empire!
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2008 at 00:36
Ditto all that has been said.  As important as the caliber chosen is the bullet choice.  A properly constructed bullet designed for elk sized animals will make up for a lighter cartridge.  I wouldn't personally choose anything lighter than .280/.30-06 and the 7 mags for elk, especially since I don't have elk in my backyard and have to drive a good distance and take vacation time from work to hunt them.  Elk have been and will continue to be taken with lighter cartridges in the same way that deer are frequently taken with .22 cal centerfires, but it doesn't make the practice ideal, so if it's in the budget, I'd have the nephew buy a new rifle in .30-06, 7 mag, .300 mag, etc.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2008 at 00:52
Originally posted by Sgt. D Sgt. D wrote:

Ruger is not my first choice for any rifle for me, but their design has handled recoil suprisingly well. I had a Rem 7mm BDL that I couldn't stand because even though it was built alittle on the heavy side it kicked the shhhnot out of me. I got rid of it and didn't like the 7mm cal. because of it. A few yrs. back I was helping a friend new to deer hunting zero his rifle, a 7mm. But it was the Ruger M77 and I couldn't believe how light the recoil was with 150's. If at some time I feel the need for a 7mm I'm gonna give the M77 another look.

Sgt. D this has to do with stock design vs. body type, in this case a Monte Carlo style stock (Rem BDL) vs. Straight comb Classic style (M77) and how recoil is directed back to the shoulder.  If the shooter has more sloping shoulders and a relatively long neck, the Monte Carlo stock is more comfortable under recoil, whereas if the shooter has more squared shoulders and a shorter neck (distance between shoulder and jaw), the straight stock is better for directing recoil straight back.  The width of the buttstock has a lot to do with perceived recoil as well, with a wider buttpad spreading recoil out over a larger area.  Rugers have never had soft recoil pads, though, and a soft, resilient pad certainly helps to spread recoil energy over a longer time period.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2008 at 01:41
Originally posted by 9-point 9-point wrote:

great information guys, thanks. I should say right off that my nephew is in his mid 20s(wish I was) 6' 180 or so, so I'm not worried about his shoulder, just want to make sure that with a good shot comes a good clean kill, we'll be in unit 86; ordering maps next week. This is our first elk hunt and as excited as I am now, its going to be a long 16 months.Yippee
.......9 Point!...........Since your nephew is all grown up, he can handle more than a 30-30! If he wishes to maintain the lever action, maybe go with the new Marlin in the 308 Winny................On the bolt action side of things, I`ll agree that the Ruger M77 with the new LC6 trigger is a good one. I had to put in a new and better trigger in mine, a late `06 or early `07 model..................Another gem from Ruger is their new M77 300 RCM (Ruger Compact Magnum) with the 20" barrel. The RCM`s are the shortened versions of the .375 Ruger, which like the WSM`s, offer great performance in the shorter tubes, of which I can,,,, personally attest to!.........Given the same distances, it will certainly do anything on any game that a 24" 300 WSM or 300 Win. can do and do so in a shorter/lighter package. No problem in acquiring factory ammo, reloading dies, shell holders and etc...........Like the 375 Ruger, there is no need for years to pass in order to prove the validity of the 300 RCM in the fields. It has already been proven. Another very accurate long range winner from Ruger and in a handier more manuverable package.........Why own a 24" when you can get `er done in a 20" and in some cases even shorter!..........Hmmmmmmm????????.....As previously dubbed by "Mojo" on another thread, the high performance blasters (lever or bolt), with 20" barrels or less are aka; the "Squeezer Specials"....................Wink...............Excellent.............Cool....................
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2008 at 13:35
9-Point, SWFA has a 30.06 for sale http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=101224205
This gun will go for a very fair price and will be a great choice for elk.
I also like the 7mm mag as well as the .300. They shoot flat and have plenty of energy and penetration with the right bullets. They aren't hard on the shoulder, either.
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2008 at 14:09
I agree, while the 30-30 is a venerable old cartridge it has limitations, depending on quarry and terrain, it will likely not be a good choice as even a second option. Heavy brush, for whitetail, bear, hog etc, where the distances are going to be short it is a formidable option. In the likely wide open spaces where there will probably ridge to ridge shooting, no amount of loading experience in going to make up for the inherent lacking of long range ability. There will always be the shorter shots that will present themselves from time to time and as such there will always be some taken with the 30-30.
I would opt for nothing less than a 7 mag for such a hunt, a 270 mag will fit the bill as well, 30-06 with the right load would be a good choice as well. 6.5 STW, 300 WM, 300 RUM, are all doable options. I like shorter barrels for brush and with the right load they can also be very good alternatives, as Squeezer will attest to. I do though have an aversion to shorter barrels when there is the possibility of long shots. The advice that has been shared by these good folks is on thje money, and I hope that you find it useful, and have a great hunt in the near future.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2008 at 18:33
Now see what you started, you got squeezer all worked up again over this short mag. buisness.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
martin3175 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2008 at 20:40
Laugh%20Above
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2008 at 20:42
Originally posted by lucytuma lucytuma wrote:

Now see what you started, you got squeezer all worked up again over this short mag. buisness.

Jeff, you are a funny, funny guy

Doug
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2008 at 20:43
If the question was: will a 30-30 kill an elk, well yes,  close!! About 100 yards. 

If the question was: should a 6 foot 180 lb. young man go hunting elk with a 30-30, the answer is NO......unless you're stranded on a mountaintop after a plane crash.

Have the fellow go out a buy a 300 Winchester Mag.  or a 30/06 at least.    Then go shoot an elk.           Smile 
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2008 at 21:18
Originally posted by Ed Connelly Ed Connelly wrote:

If the question was: will a 30-30 kill an elk, well yes,  close!! About 100 yards. 

If the question was: should a 6 foot 180 lb. young man go hunting elk with a 30-30, the answer is NO......unless you're stranded on a mountaintop after a plane crash.

Have the fellow go out a buy a 300 Winchester Mag.  or a 30/06 at least.    Then go shoot an elk.           Smile 

Definitely agree with Mr Ed here.

A 30-30 will kill an elk.  If you have the right bullet, and at the right range.

For elk, I would recommend as big a gun as you can comfortably and accurately shoot.  If you can't do either, you won't get an elk.

I am a big fan off the 300 Win Mag.  I would recommend getting him a 300 WM or 338 WM for elk.  I would honestly like to try the 300 RCM.  See how it compares and feels.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2008 at 22:15
if there is two things about the rcm's that i like its that fact that they fit a standard magazine, and they havent had any feeding issues at all, zero. now do i think they are the new answer to the problem, no. are they something new and cool, you bet, do i want one?? sure do, but i still really like my old school 300winy, the .338rcm would be my pick of the two.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2008 at 22:22
I love my old 300 too.  Only one problem.  The weight.  Gets heavy packing it around all day.  I like the idea of having a lighter weight gun that give the same performance.  I know I can hunt anything in North America with my 300, so I don't really see the need to go up to a 338.  Just personal preference there.  The 338 is a great gun as well.  If I go up from the 300, it will probably be to the 375 Ruger.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2008 at 22:33
i wouldnt want to go bigger than .338 im a wussy
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2008 at 04:04
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

i wouldnt want to go bigger than .338 im a wussy
....WE KNOW!!!!..........Big%20GrinBig%20GrinBig%20GrinBig%20Grin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic