OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Which Is Best For Hunting? Leica vs. Zeiss

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellowdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which Is Best For Hunting? Leica vs. Zeiss
    Posted: June/06/2008 at 17:14
    Wondering anyone's opinion on what they think is best for hunting: Leica Ultravid HD 7X42, or the Zeiss Victory FL 7X42?  Has anyone used or compared these two units? Price isn't an issue, just curious about durability, brightness, clarity & resolution. Wink
If you don't want to stand behind our troops, then we will gladly have you stand in front of them.
noddah View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noddah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2008 at 17:44
I own, hunted and have compared the Swaros, Leicas (Including Ultravid - not "HD") and Zeiss Classic and FLs.   My preference is for the FLs for lens and focus; but I have to admit I  like the Leica build better. 

When it comes durability I have never seen or experienced either Leica or Zeiss products fail.  Though... I have had expereince with two Swaro products that failed and needed to be sent back to the factory.  (Swaro stood by the product in both cases and replaced them)
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2008 at 23:54
Originally posted by yellowdog yellowdog wrote:

Wondering anyone's opinion on what they think is best for hunting: Leica Ultravid HD 7X42, or the Zeiss Victory FL 7X42?  Has anyone used or compared these two units? Price isn't an issue, just curious about durability, brightness, clarity & resolution. Wink

I don't have field experience with either of these but from what I've read the Leica's come highly recommended. I have swaro slc's 7x42 and they work just fine for  hunting.
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2008 at 00:02
Originally posted by noddah noddah wrote:

I own, hunted and have compared the Swaros, Leicas (Including Ultravid - not "HD") and Zeiss Classic and FLs.   My preference is for the FLs for lens and focus; but I have to admit I  like the Leica build better. 

When it comes durability I have never seen or experienced either Leica or Zeiss products fail.  Though... I have had expereince with two Swaro products that failed and needed to be sent back to the factory.  (Swaro stood by the product in both cases and replaced them)

What the heck are you doing to your bino's, two  failed?? Just playing!! Smile

Your right Swaro has killer customer service. I just sent them a 15+ year old 8x32 SLC for a pm and inspect the lenses back on 5/27/08. I was told today that their intransit back to me with the upgraded glass completely under warranty. Nice!! Yippee

Edited by mike650 - June/07/2008 at 08:34
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2008 at 10:25
Originally posted by yellowdog yellowdog wrote:

Yellowdog, I don't want this to sound like a cop-out, but honestly, both are so good that you will probably have to make the decision based on which one feels better, has the most comfortable eyecups for your face, etc.  You aren't likely to find much if any fault with either unit's optics.  Let me start out by saying, I have not compared the 7X version of either, but I have compared the 8X32 and 8X42 versions of these 2 bins quite extensively before buying my Leica 8X32 HD, which I absolutely love, by the way.  So, keep in mind that my comments are limited to what I perceived from the 8X versions.  I doubt that my impressions would be drastically different had I been looking at the 7X models.  Both series have their strengths and weaknesses.  To my way of thinking:
Advantages for the Zeiss:
- more FOV;
- better eyecup adjustment range;
- less chromatic aberration when looking at objects against brightly lit background.  In fact, the Zeiss Victory FL has very little CA present in image;
- very smooth focus wheel;
Advantages for the Leica:
- better diopter adjustment;
- impression of better build quality (to me);
- seems to have less flare than Zeiss when looking toward bright light source;
- I felt Leica had higher contrast than Zeiss, with more vivid colors;
- the Leica is a little more compact (though some may not consider this an advantage).

Both bins appeared equally bright.  I can't tell you how the Zeiss really compares to Leica resolution-wise, as that would require more extensive comparisons in the field.  I can tell you that the Leica HD's resolution is superb, probably about as good as it gets.  It produces tack-sharp, highly detailed images.  I have no doubt the same can be said for the Zeiss, especially given the extremely low levels of CA of the Zeiss image.  In 7X, CA should be even lower than that seen in the 8X versions, however.  I could tell no discernable difference in apparent center of field resolution between these two in my pre-purchase comparisons, so they are probably very close.  I thought Leica had a larger center field sweet spot than Zeiss, though. 

I've heard some comments about Zeiss Victory FL having better infinity focus range than Leica Ultravid for some users, but can't confirm with my eyesight. 

The focus wheel on Zeiss is a little smoother than Leica, though I don't really find fault with the Leica focus, which has supposedly been improved on the HD model.

Both bins have hydrophobic lens coatings to shed water and contaminants.  I can confirm that this coating works extremely well on my Leica HD.

Now that Leica changed its warranty, both bins have a lifetime US warranty.

In the end, the optics were so close, I chose the Leica HD over the Zeiss based largely on aesthetics.  I just thought the Zeiss FL had a more "plastic" appearance and feel that gave me the impression of cheaper build quality.  The body of the Zeiss is made largely of some high-tech fiber-reinforced polymer, according to Zeiss literature, which to me means "plastic."  Underneath the rubber armor, the Leica body is made entirely of die cast magnesium with titanium hinge.  In actual use, I'm sure the Zeiss is plenty durable, but as a long-time Leica owner, I can attest to the durability of their binoculars.  I do admit to some bias in this regard, though, being a fan of Leica products and having a mental block against the widespread over-use of plastics in the construction of high-end outdoor equipment, whether it be optics, guns, whatever.

I'm sure you'd be more than pleased with either.

Edited by RifleDude - June/07/2008 at 10:34
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
yellowdog View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellowdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2008 at 13:05
      Well, there you have it Scott!  Thank you gentleman, for all your input. This "survey" was more for a friend of mine,(Scott: the next Chuck Adams) but I've gotten enough info here to know which brand I will be going with myself.  Very, very informative RifleDude!Bow  When looking through them myself at the NRA convention in Louituckey, I also leaned more towards the Leica's.   Scott has visited our forum here at the OT before from time to time and really like's it. He's been lerking in the midts for quite some time.Peeker If he ever decides to register, I think he would be a good addition to our OT family. He's a wealth of information for bowhunters.Wink

Edited by yellowdog - June/07/2008 at 13:27
If you don't want to stand behind our troops, then we will gladly have you stand in front of them.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2008 at 23:59
Invite him in, yellowdog.  It would be nice to have another fellow bowhunter on board!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
birdhunter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote birdhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2008 at 08:07
Yellowdog, I had the same problem about a year ago after going through three pair of the sub $700 binoculars.  I decided to take the plunge and get one of the big three.  For me I tried them all in my hand and compaired the way they felt to my eyes and hands not to mention comparing warrenty and customer service.  I also purchased the Swarorski SLCs in 7x42.  It saved me a few hundred dollars and from everyone I talked to on this board and when I called up customer service at Swarovski they were very helpful and would completely stand being their product unless you ran over them with your truck.  I bought them from a friend of mine that ownes a gun shop and he always used Swarovski scopes on his rifles that he hunted with.  So that right there told me a lot when he could use any scope he wanted.  Now the SLCs have the same glass in them as the high end Swarovski ELs have.  You owe it to yourself to go to a local Bass Pro Shop, competitor or Gun Shop and try out all three and see how they fit you.  I don't think you could go wrong with any of the three.  Good luck.
Birdhunter
yellowdog View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellowdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2008 at 23:32
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Invite him in, yellowdog.  It would be nice to have another fellow bowhunter on board!
   I'm try'n!
SAKO75 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SAKO75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/17/2008 at 19:12
looked at them all, looked through them all, bought the SLC new 7x42
Acenturian View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acenturian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2008 at 08:48
There really is no "right answer" when you get to that level of glass it will all come down to what works for you and remember that is the most important when paying that kind of $$$$.

My experience when I went to go buy my "expensive" pair of binoculars.  I got bitten by the optics bug.  For years I used the cheapest set of junk you could buy. Then I bought a pair of Carson XM's (Pretty nice glass for the money) moved up to Weaver GrandSlams and to Swift Audubons (ED Glass) VERY NICE GLASS.  I sold the others kept the Swifts and for the money in my opinion they can't be beat.

So I was set to go buy one of the BIG 3....I was told to toss in the Nikon Premire as well.  So I was lucky enough to find a store that carried all three of the big brands and the Nikon as well as the Leupold Golden Rings.   I was able (with a clerk) to go look outside since everything looks good in artifical lights at a store. 

The Leupolds were outclassed right away the other 4 Brands were much better.  I will go as far as to say that my Swifts were better then the Golden Rings.  Next Zeiss FL's  great glass noticably brighter then any of the others I compared.  BUT the plasitc body felt cheap and I hunt out west in big canyons and high mountains so I wanted 10X magnification.  The light weight was hard to hold the binocular steady standing in a parking lot, I cant imagine huffing and puffing up canyons.    Plus to my eyes the Zeiss while brighter then the others the "sweet spot" seems smaller.  So Zeiss was out.
 Leica- Nice build nice glass didnt feel comfortable in my hands as the others and I have heard issues with their customer service taking a lot of time to get back to customers.  Leica out.
Nikon Premier - Ok I would never have even known about these except they came highly recommeded from this site.  I was VERY impressed.  They felt good in hand and the glass was just as nice as the BIG 3.  Down fall - well if your going to spend over a grand I want the BIG 3 Name call me an optics snob but a name is important if you ever want to sell them off.
Final decision the Swarovski- they felt great in hand (nothing was better) the image was tops as all binoculars should be in that price range.  To me the image felt much "warmer" then the Zeiss, about the same as the Leica.  The Sweet Spot was across the whole lens more then the Zeiss about on pare with Leica.  And after doing some on line web search Swarovski has a customer service second to none..they are helpful, friendly and fast....to me it was a no brainer ..........sold to the man in camo.

I have two buddys that hunt with Zeiss, one with Leica and me with Swarovski none of us or someone using the Nikon Premire series would be "under glassed" all are top knotch best glass out there its all presonal preference at that level and only you can decide what works best for you.......Good luck... AC
If You're In A Fair Fight, You Didn't Plan It Properly

- Anonymous

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2008 at 13:10
Good commentary, Acenturian!

You're right; sometimes the choice just comes down to ergonomics and intangibles, not necessarily the optics.  Optically, all of the premier brands are outstanding.
Ted

timber View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2008 at 18:30
Get what feels best in your hands and has the best image to your eyes.  They're both fantastic pieces of glass.  I have a 8x32 FL and they're nice but suffer in comparison to the 7x42 FL.  PM sent.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2008 at 11:14
Great advise guys!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic