OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

IOR 4-14x50 Tactical 30mm Rifle Scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newguru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IOR 4-14x50 Tactical 30mm Rifle Scope
    Posted: June/06/2008 at 16:27
I'm looking at this model to go dual duty on a Remington 700 Sendero SFII that is a 300 Ultra Mag gun.

Will it hold up?

This is primarilly a hunting rifle but I wanted this scope because it could transition to a tactical rifle scope in the future and could be used for either purpose.

I have seen "mixed" reviews on IOR durability to put it nicely.  Glass is top notch from what I read but the durability has me spooked.

Coupled with that this is not a light recoiling rifle in Remington 300 Ultra Mag and I want to hear some feedback from people that have this scope.

Here is the SWFA link for the exact one I'm looking at:

Will this work for my purposes or should I look at something else.

The two big problems I have read on the IOR's is them crapping the bed due to big recoil and the parallax adjustment going out of wack every few shots.

Anyone have anything to add or know about either of these issues?
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2008 at 16:47

The 300 Ultra Mag is a lot or recoil. If you were using a .308 or 30-06 I would say jump on it, but with that much recoil I would want a scope that comes from a company with the best of customer service.

LEU54660 Leupold%204.5-14x50%20Mark%204%20LR/T%2030mm%20Riflescope%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20 Leupold 4.5-14x50 Mark 4 LR/T 30mm Riflescope
  • Matte
  • Duplex
  • 30mm
  • Long Range
  • Side Focus
  • M1 Target Knobs
  • Free Leupold Flip-Open Lens Covers
SWFA: $974.95
More%20Info...
http://www.kentonindustries.com/  Add these. You can opt for the more expensive reticles also but this really is a very good scope.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2008 at 16:51
I'm just gonna say no issues with mine. The same as the one you are considering, It sits on a Savage 300 WSM so not what you have recoil wise though it's no slouch either.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2008 at 17:09
Fixed power scopes tend to take more abuse than variables. I wouldnt hesitate to put a Super Sniper 10x on it.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
newguru View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newguru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2008 at 19:06
10X fixed power isn't really a consideration for a hunting rifle IMO.  I need to be able to dial it down for hunting and 10X is just too much.  The FOV would be far too limited for most whitetail hunting with the rifle.

I really like the 4-4.5x14-15 size scopes.  I think they provide a usable low end for hunting and provide enough top end that I'm covered for target shooting if I go with a better tactical rifle in the future.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2008 at 20:01

newguru, where did you hear these failure reports related to this scope?   

I have the exact same scope, but on a shoulder-punishing .204 Ruger.Wink

Granted I haven't exactly put it through the ringer recoil-wise, but it hasn't given any troubles.  Optically, it's very nice.  I did a review of it about a year ago.  Do a search in the Tactical forum and you might find it.

I live just up the road from you in McKinney.  I might be able to meet up with you and show you the scope in person.  Send me a PM if you're interested.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
newguru View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newguru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2008 at 22:05
Read up over at snipershide.com

There are plenty of people who have had failures with these scopes.  More so on the 30mm tubes than the newer 35 and 40mm tube scopes but there have been some failures on the 35's as well.  Others there say that there is a known issue on some IOR's that the parallax adjustment will slip or move a bit after every few shots on some models making you have to constantly adjust that as well, which would piss me off if I dropped that much on this scope as well.

However, with the miniscule recoil on your BB gun.....:)  err....I mean .204 Ruger, I think you are probably safe.  Most people finding these issues are shooting .308's or stronger recoil guns.  If I'm going to drop $1150 bones on a scope though, I need something that will survive anything I can throw at it.

I'm relatively certain, if IOR's customer service was better and they could get past the durability issues, making those things a non-issue, they could rule the market. 

They are in the sweet spot in cost being less expensive than S&B, US Optics and Nightforce in cost with equal or better glass in some cases (well maybe not equal to S&B but thats now a $3K scope for a similar one).
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2008 at 23:11
IOR's customer service in my experience was excellent.  I had a problem with one of my IOR's and had a brand new scope in my hands in 8 business days.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
mercenary1947 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2008 at 07:49
Originally posted by newguru newguru wrote:

Read up over at snipershide.com

However, with the miniscule recoil on your BB gun.....:)  err....I mean .204 Ruger, I think you are probably safe.  Most people finding these issues are shooting .308's or stronger recoil guns.  If I'm going to drop $1150 bones on a scope though, I need something that will survive anything I can throw at it.

OUCH !!!!  Did that hurt BB gun ?   But I have to admit my son has a Weatherby 300 Super magnum and believe me it thumps alot more than my 30-06 ! He's been using a Burris for over a year and with great results ... the $ 48.00 a box ammo chokes me though he has to pay . But he said he had to have something bigger than the old man's .... now who has those elephant guns on sale ?????????????  Wink
One Shot One Kill .... *S.O.F * Head Shots Only
               SWFAM
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2008 at 09:40
scope will hold  up better than the shooter with that cartridge. , by the time you have loads worked up -- time to consider a re-barrel-- will you be down loading-- scope and gun would make a great combination as a hot 30-06, 300 wsssmmmm load.
newguru View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newguru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2008 at 13:37
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

IOR's customer service in my experience was excellent.  I had a problem with one of my IOR's and had a brand new scope in my hands in 8 business days.  

I think maybe I typed before thinking about what I was trying to say.  This isn't so much of an improvement in customer service that is needed, but more of a "no questions asked warranty" that they need to really vault them to the next level IMO.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2008 at 23:45
new, I realize we're talking about no small chunk of change here, but personally, if I like a particular scope, I would be inclined to take a chance on it.  I've heard occasional complaints of failure with just about any brand scope you can name.  The IOR scope in question is a tactical model, which is designed for greater durability than a typical hunting scope.  I know nothing about the internal construction of the scope, but I do know it has a larger central turret section than the hunting model, and includes some sort of heavy duty erector assy containment device that I believe IOR calls a "magnum lock."  I do know IOR has improved its adjustment knobs since my scope was made, so perhaps if the scopes did have the problems you mention that this has since been corrected.  I know there have been a couple people here who had problems with IOR scopes and customer service.  All I can tell you is that, except for a few minor criticisms of its design, I do like mine.  Cal Val at Valdada Optics in Colorado and inquire about your concerns... 309-979-4578.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2008 at 09:18
I'm fairly certain the scope with the problems being reported on snipershide was not the 4-14x50.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
ChrisGarrett View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisGarrett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2008 at 21:13
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

I'm fairly certain the scope with the problems being reported on snipershide was not the 4-14x50.

Yeah, it was the SnipersHide version, FFP 3-18x.  Came with some mismarked knobs, which were redesigned and shipped out.  I think that there was another problem with the power ring, IIRC.  Face it, even USO and SB make a stinker from time to time.

At the beginning of the year, I was working in LA for my dad and found a IOR 6-24x50 35mm tac on SH.  This was used but in "mint" shape, only having ring marks, so I bought it for my Savage LE2b. 

I got the scope a week later and in a nutshell, the whole forward tube was loose in the turret block.  About a mm's worth of travel.  I called the IOR and asked about it and whether the warranty was transferable, explaining that I just received it from a SH member (who seems to be a 'dealer).  He said the scope had to go back to Romania and that since export licenses needed to be pulled, they only ship them in groups a couple of times a year, for obviously reasons.

This was the beginning of March and he told me that the end of June was going to be the next shipment back.  There was a chance that the end of March would materialize, but I had to figure right about this time.  I never did get to the 'warranty' issues.

The seller promptly gave me back my money and I shipped it back that day.  He even offered to give me $300 back of my $950 if I just kept it, but there were too many unanswered questions.  This problem wasn't the scope or IOR's fault, 'we' don't think, but they sure weren't sending me out a new one in eight days either and I didn't expect them to, not being the original owner.  Still who knows how long it would have taken to get repaired?

It was a shame as it was a 'dream scope' of mine for a while, but one does have to consider Romania as a repair destination before buying.

I ended up buying a truly minty/used Bushnell 30mm Tactical 6-24x50 and a used SS 16x for a couple/few hundred less and I can't complain.

Chris
Jon A View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2008 at 13:56
Originally posted by ChrisGarrett ChrisGarrett wrote:

Yeah, it was the SnipersHide version, FFP 3-18x. 

Yup, I broke two on my 300 RUM popgun.      Wink     Hopefully the 2nd batch will have no such problems.

Anyway, I used the 4-14 IOR for several hundred rounds on the same rifle and it held up just fine.  Seemed like a very tough scope and the glass was beautiful.  Now with the new knobs they've made them even better.   Even worked well at 1500 yds.        Big%20Grin

That said, especially since it's priced quite a bit more than what I paid and having used them both, I don't think I'd buy it again.  I'd save a little longer, find something else to sell, etc, and get another 3-18 instead.  IMHO, it's just that much better all the way around--easily worth the difference in price.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic