OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Kahles, Have I lost my mind

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kahles, Have I lost my mind
    Posted: June/04/2008 at 08:13
Ok, I did it.  After all the talk about Euro scopes, I bought a Kahles Helia CL 3x10 50mm at a ridiculously low price, BNIB.  Non-multi-zero model.  After seeing and hearing Ted's opinion about them and his experience, the SWFA ratings scale, too many people posting problems with their Swarovskis (realizing that this is anecdotal), my lack of being overwhelmed by the Swarovskis at the local gun shop (compared to my Trijicon), reading a billion reviews on Kahles scopes; combined with the price, I took the plunge.  Should arrive Friday and I will post a review and comparison with my Trijicon.
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2008 at 08:17
NO your mind is intact, but your wallet is a little liter today!!!   LOL

Come on man, it's only money, you can alway use a new scope.

Thunbs%20Up  
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2008 at 08:54

Well, considering the price, it was not too bad.  I have Warne QD high rings on the way.  I have  a lot of Wby. rifles with the same distance mounts so that I can switch around scopes making it fun.

cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2008 at 12:42
I think you will be well sated with the Kahles, please do tell us your opinion on this scope as well.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2008 at 12:45
Originally posted by Dolphin Dolphin wrote:

Ok, I did it.  After all the talk about Euro scopes, I bought a Kahles Helia CL 3x10 50mm at a ridiculously low price, BNIB.  Non-multi-zero model.  After seeing and hearing Ted's opinion about them and his experience, the SWFA ratings scale, too many people posting problems with their Swarovskis (realizing that this is anecdotal), my lack of being overwhelmed by the Swarovskis at the local gun shop (compared to my Trijicon), reading a billion reviews on Kahles scopes; combined with the price, I took the plunge.  Should arrive Friday and I will post a review and comparison with my Trijicon.

If you’re not happy with it let me know and I'll swing by and pick it up on the way to my in-laws and dispose of it properly for you I will take that sacrifice for you... j/k

I'm waiting eagerly to hear your review of it.

BD
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
medic52 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medic52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2008 at 12:48
Dolphin I think you did ok, I have been eyeing one myself. Since I bought The Trijicon instead first I hope to buy the Kahles Later this year. I will MOST interested in your opinion. By the way did you get the Minox BD Binos yet?
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2008 at 17:20
There definately have been some very good deals on Kahles lately, I think it's great.  It allows one to get into a fantastic scope that would normally be out of reach.  It's nice that even a normal guy like me can get a small taste of heaven,
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2008 at 17:24
I look forward to hearing your opinion of this scope, Dolphin. 
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2008 at 17:43
Originally posted by lucytuma lucytuma wrote:

There definately have been some very good deals on Kahles lately, I think it's great.  It allows one to get into a fantastic scope that would normally be out of reach.  It's nice that even a normal guy like me can get a small taste of heaven,
 That is the truth.  I could not have afforded the Swarovski even if I wanted one.
Mojo View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman
All Mojo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2008 at 20:40
Hey Dolphin,

Let us know what you think of it . There are plenty of people out there willing to take it off your hands if you are disappointed with the results.  Don't think that will happen though!
Great choice, dolphin.

mojo
MOJO
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2008 at 22:01
i think you will like it post us some pictures when you get time
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2008 at 13:27
My Kahles arrived today safe and sound.  First impressions, from my office.  Build quality, excellent.  Ergonomics, without mounting it of course, excellent.  Diopter adjustment, mag. adjustment and sf adjustment knobs, smooth as silk.  Optics, as peering through my window, excellent.  The 4a reticle did not exhibit any browning, as do the "pinned" on types.  Eye relief is tremendous and the eye box seems very forgiving.  Cannot tell whether it is as forgiving as the Trijicon, I will have to compare side by side, but my initial impression is probably not.  I am not sure what Kahles states in their material, but the eye relief seems fixed at all magnifications, which is really nice.  More comments when I can get it home and do some real comparisons.  Problem is, it has been 100 degrees out here making it real uncomfortable to do any comparisons outside let alone shooting.  I have already fallen in love with it, sort of like the Trijicon, but not quite that far yet, but the real test is how it tracks.  I am sure it will perform admirably.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2008 at 15:11
Hey, Dolphin, you are correct about the eye relief.  It is a constant 3.54" at all magnifications.  Eye position may not be as forgiving as your Trijicon, since the Trijicon's variable eye relief is longer at lower magnification than the Kahles (4.1").  However, because of the variable ER, the 2.5-10X56 Trijicon only has 2.8" ER at 10X, whereas the Kahles will still have 3.54" at 10X.  Also, as you mentioned in another post, like many European scopes, the Kahles' W/E click value is 0.36" @ 100 yds, which is 10mm @ 100m.

Check something out for me if you would.  The diopter setting as it comes out of the box has the indicator on the eyepiece ring oriented at 12:00 position, indicated by a line at the top of the eyepiece housing.  I have always found the best focus of the scope for my eye occurs when the eyepiece is rotated approx. 90-degrees clockwise from that position so that the indicator on the rubber eyepiece ring is pointing toward the word "Kahles" at the 3:00 position on the eyepiece housing.  See what diopter position gives you the best focus to your eye and let me know what you find.  I have always wondered how my focus setting compares with other people's eyes.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2008 at 15:12
I have been aware that the Kahles is a very good scope for over 20 yrs as a friend of mine had one on a steyer PSS sniper rifle and was very happy with it. Unfortunately I dont know a lot about their different models exept that the multizero would seem to be a very useful scope as it could be set up for either four distances or 4 different loads or four different rifles - (probably the perfect scope for an Encore with multiple barrels). I would be interested in an explanation of what each of their different models offers.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2008 at 15:24

Anything you'd like to know, just ask Wes, and I'll try to help you as best I can.  I certainly don't know everything about their product, but I do have 4 of their scopes and 1 of their binos, along with a current product catalog.

Ted

Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2008 at 15:58
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Hey, Dolphin, you are correct about the eye relief.  It is a constant 3.54" at all magnifications.  Eye position may not be as forgiving as your Trijicon, since the Trijicon's variable eye relief is longer at lower magnification than the Kahles (4.1").  However, because of the variable ER, the 2.5-10X56 Trijicon only has 2.8" ER at 10X, whereas the Kahles will still have 3.54" at 10X.  Also, as you mentioned in another post, like many European scopes, the Kahles' W/E click value is 0.36" @ 100 yds, which is 10mm @ 100m.

Check something out for me if you would.  The diopter setting as it comes out of the box has the indicator on the eyepiece ring oriented at 12:00 position, indicated by a line at the top of the eyepiece housing.  I have always found the best focus of the scope for my eye occurs when the eyepiece is rotated approx. 90-degrees clockwise from that position so that the indicator on the rubber eyepiece ring is pointing toward the word "Kahles" at the 3:00 position on the eyepiece housing.  See what diopter position gives you the best focus to your eye and let me know what you find.  I have always wondered how my focus setting compares with other people's eyes.
 I will let you know.  I just mounted the Warne rings in my office and packed it up and getting ready to leave.  Do you use eye glasses for reading?  I do and they vary from 1.5+ to 2.5+ depending on what I am doing.  If I am on the computer, 1.5 and if I am doing close up work, 2.5.  I will tell you one thing, these are the closest that any rifle scope has come to given me that wow feeling that I experienced with the Trijicon.  If I had not been in my closed up office with a small window, the first glimpse may have been even a bigger wow.  I will let you know when I get home.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2008 at 16:18
No, I don't wear glasses or contacts.

I hope you enjoy your new toy!
Ted

Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2008 at 16:56
Ted, I will let you know tomorrow.  No comparisons or look throughs today or tonight.  It is over 100 degrees outside.  I like to be at least a little comfortable comparing scopes.  It would take an hour for anything I have to go from 68 degrees inside to acclimate to that 100 degrees outside and external fogging before I could do anything.  Thats what happened last night trying to compare the Minox and the Olympus binos.  The Olympus still never came to outside temperature and every time I put my eyes up to view they fogged within 10 seconds.  The Minox pair had been riding around in a truck all day and were already at outside temperature.

Edited by Dolphin - June/06/2008 at 16:57
meat head View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meat head Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2008 at 20:51

hi fellersHowdyare these kalhes scopes better than a leupold cause my leupold shore seams very clear an i can see good with it an it has never let me down i have always killed lots of deers and hawgs with my 3006 with my leupold varix2 3x9

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2008 at 20:53
the varixII is awesome i would keep it Clown
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic